Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-902 Help

MFJ-902 Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: Mini Travel Tuner
80-10 meters
150 watts

You can write your own review of the MFJ-902.

N5VWN Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2006 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Works better than my T-1 tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've Been using this tuner over a year. I Should have spent the extra to get the one with a meter, but still it's been a really nice addition to my mobile or portable operations. I haven't found the need for the balum. I use it mostly for qrp portable and mobile. I've also used my 100 watt k-2 with it and it's been great. I do like it's small size. Surprised how well it works. Oh, it will not tune 160 or 6 meters, but then it's not suppose to. Great with random wires!! (my favorite antenna). If your rig has a built in swr meter it's perfect. I've wished for a meter on it when using it on kits like the rockmite or ATS3a or SW+.. so keep that in mind if you need the meter.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2006 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Good portable tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This little tuner is one of the things in my shack I would not like to miss. It is so tiny small and tuned everything I asked to tune. I used mine with power levels up to 100 watts and discovered no problems with it. Just to bad that the model with the balun included is not available here...

KB3MZW Rating: 4/5 Sep 5, 2006 15:54 Send this review to a friend
cant beat for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i am very pleased with this tuner, i have been able as advertised to tune every band it specifies (80-10) and have at times only used the center conductor of a hardline or (tip) "randomly" so to speak to tune to the lower frequencies with more ease. i like its small compact traveling dimensions as well as its performance. being that my FT-857-D has an swr meter built in i didnt need a tuner with the works per say. but everyone should have a spare swr meter anyway. would definalty recomend this tuner. great buy!

VK2RT Rating: 0/5 Nov 17, 2005 01:25 Send this review to a friend
Piece of junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Did not work from new...

Problems:
1) Variable capacitor plates touching.
2) Inductance switch completely open circuit.

So these units have to be mass produced with NO quality control or testing process.

Took it back the next day for total refund.

Want a good tuner, build it youself...

73's Bruce VK2RT

XE1UFO Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2004 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a very small unit, and fits very nicely in a corner of my grab'n'go carry satchel, along with a 7-amp gelcel and my SG2020ADSP2. Now, if MFJ or somebody would just come up with a tiny 4:1 balun, then it would be complete.

The correct URL is:

ON4MHO Rating: 4/5 Sep 20, 2004 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Good little tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using this little tuner with my mobile setup for a few weeks. Of course it's not so widde in matching as a bigger tuner with roller coaster inductance, but I'm pleased with it. I can easily match a vertical mobile and the settings are easily repeatable. Nice piece of equipment. I didn't need to solder the connections myself ;) No probs with 100 Watts.

KU4UV Rating: 4/5 Sep 5, 2004 08:20 Send this review to a friend
So Far It Works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had never used an antenna tuner before purchasing this unit, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was in need of a way to tune the dipoles that I have in the attic of my apartment for both the CW and phone portions of the HF bands without having to go up in the attic and adjust the dipoles manually. I figured the MFJ-902 looked like a good little unit, and the price was fair. I was mainly sold on this particular tuner based on the reviews I had read here on eham, and on Bob Grove's review in Monitoring Times. You can probably find Bob Grove's review of the tuner online by doing a Google search. I was sceptical of how well the tuner would work given MFJ's quality control problems, so the first thing I did when I got the unit was open it up and inspect everything thoroughly. All of the solder connections seemed to be good, nothing appeared to be loose, and the capacitor placed hadn't been bent, so it looked o.k. I hooked up the meter to my HF rig. The tuner doesn't have a meter, so you will need an SWR meter inline with the unit, I use Radio Shack's meter. All of my dipoles are cut for their respective bands, but I wanted a way to tune them for minimum SWR when I work CW or phone. So far I have been able to tune all of my dipoles flat using the tuner, so I am happy with this unit. I am anxious to try it out in the field and see how well it holds up. All-in-all, I am pleased with this tuner. I figured I could probably fix and QC problems the tuner had since there isn't much to it internally. Would I buy MFJ products on a regular basis? Probably not, given there reputation for having Quality Control problems, but I think you will not be disappointed with this tuner. This is a good basic antenna tuner that should be able to match anything you can throw at it as long as you keep the power under 150 Watts. I would like to try it with a QRP transceiver and a long wire to see how well it works.

DL1MRD Rating: 0/5 Jul 25, 2004 05:44 Send this review to a friend
got burned!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just tried to use mine the first time. The capacitors are mechanically inaccurate, the plates are not proper aligned. One of the two is so bad it sparks sometimes at 25watts and up.
These where not the only sparks!
While Tuning with only 5watts I got burn marks on my fingertips from the screws in the capacitor knobs! That does it! Goes straight back to the dealer I will not ask for an mfj-product for replacement.

AE7Q Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2004 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Almost perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this tuner with an FT-897D and an Alpha Delta DX-EE (40/20/15/10m) antenna in the attic, and it tunes that antenna to 1:1 from 60 to 10m (tuning is critical on 60m and 12m).

I'm very pleased, as this tuner replaced a Z-100, which had problems with my setup.

After I noticed that the set screws for the knobs weren't fully tightened, I opened up the box to examine the quality (a known potential MFJ issue), and saw no problems inside.

KD5MJJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2004 22:33 Send this review to a friend
works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I bought this to work with a new FT-897. Originally I wanted to order the new LDG 100 but I could not find one in stock. Therefore, plan "B" was called for. The MFJ 902 was purchased.

It works fine. It seems well built and tunes everything to SWR 1:1. I am happy.

73 Hank , KD5MJJ