Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | IRLP - Internet Radio Linking Project Package Help

Reviews Summary for IRLP - Internet Radio Linking Project Package
IRLP - Internet Radio Linking Project Package Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $130
Description: The aim of this project is to reliably and inexpensively link amateur radio systems without the use of RF links, leased lines, or satellites.

The IRLP uses Linux-based Voice-Over-IP (VoIP) custom software and hardware. Having a dedicated hardware interface eliminates a lot of the problems encountered with other VOIP radio-Internet systems. Coupled with the power of the Internet, IRLP will link your radio site to the world in a simple and cost effective way.

IRLP operates a network of dedicated servers (called 'reflectors') and nodes offering very stable worldwide voice communications between hundreds of towns and cities. Regular 'networks' on the reflectors allow for unlimited numbers of nodes and users to connect. All this with unsurpassed uptimes and the full dynamic range of telephone quality audio.

For more information, see the website at the URL provided below.
More info: http://www.irlp.net

You can write your own review of the IRLP - Internet Radio Linking Project Package.

KE7JFA Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2009 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Good stuff!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The system is fairly easy to set up.
Need some common sense in electrical knowledge or you could possibly mess something up.
If you do not have any Linux experience, the volunteer support forums are good.
Stability of system is better than Echolink.
Mine is connected to different reflectors at any given time.

For your link radio, you do need a commercial duty cycle radio.
If you use an Alinco, you need to use the lowest possible setting for RF power. 5 watts otherwise it can not handle the duty cycle and will cook transmit diode or fail the PA circuit altogether.
I have had to have my Alinco repaired twice.
The Alinco does make it easy to connect and get up and running but only use low power setting and do not even use the mid!

KB6ZOP Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2005 21:28 Send this review to a friend
New life to an old hobby?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Living in an Anti-Antenna community, I almost gave up on Amateur radio over the years. Not being able to adequately work on HF has been a royal pain. After about a 5 year hiatus, I decided to get "radio active" again. When I finally heard of IRLP it was from a friend who was working a local (to me) repeater with his HT from nearly 150 Miles away. I was so damned impressed with this that I had to investigate this new technology for myself. I now own my own node and have just installed a second node for a fellow HAM. Being able to talk with old friends - and new - from my couch or across town in my car, even when they live 1000 miles and more away has been a breath of fresh air!

The install is extremely easy, the support group is fantastic and the fraternal mentality brings to me what I feel amateur radio is and was really all about.

W2MSK Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2003 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Follow-up  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I almost left out the most important point regarding this system, you need to access it using an Amateur Radio! Unlike other systems, you cannot bypass IRLP by using a stand-alone computer. You must use a RADIO! This keeps the RADIO in the IRLP system and, of course, continues to maintain the traditions of ham radio. As their tag line says, "keeping the RADIO in Amateur radio"...well said.