Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | W4RT Antenna BOSS for Yaesu Help

Reviews Summary for W4RT Antenna BOSS for Yaesu
W4RT Antenna BOSS for Yaesu Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $179
Description: W4RT Electronics' "The Antenna BOSS" makes essentially any motorized antenna "look like" the Yaesu ATAS-100/120 to the FT-100/D, FT-847, FT-857, and FT-897 radios. Now you can use your radio's own TUNE button for automatic tuning the way it was intended! The Antenna BOSS features dynamic motor braking, works with 6-12 VDC motors, motor stall sensing & braking, user selectable stall current sensing, no special sensors in antenna required, no programming or computer required, works with linear amps to full legal limit, works fine with antennas having a shunt coil, provides manual motor control for tuning 60-160 m, and radio powers both Antenna BOSS and antenna motor. No longer do you have to settle for the ATAS-100/120 performance to have the convenience of ATAS Autotuning. The Antenna BOSS is simple to install and simple to use. High Sierra Antennas, Hi-Q-Antennas and Tarheel Antennas all work well with The Antenna BOSS.
More info: http://www.w4rt.com

You can write your own review of the W4RT Antenna BOSS for Yaesu.

WX7Y Rating: 0/5 Apr 30, 2010 21:37 Send this review to a friend
bad repair service policy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hope your unit works better then mine, My unit is new out of the box BUT I have had it sitting on the shelf for a year and got around to installing it because I just got my HI-Q Antenna, Well as my luck goes it didn't work.
After MANY emails they said it would cost $30.00 just to look at my unit and it may not be repairable.
Well I WON'T BUY from W4RT again. Without a good repair service the company is not going to get another dime from me.
W4RT needs to take some lesons from MFJ and the way they NOW handle there repair service.

W3BIG Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2009 05:05 Send this review to a friend
Antenna Boss makes tuning scredriver anetnnas simple.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the W4RT Antenna Boss with a Yaesu FT-100D and a Little Tarheel II. The combination is great. The Little Tarheel replaced (2) Yaesu ATAS-120s, which were a disappointment. Both of the ATAS-120s failed because they are constructed very poorly with a lot of nylon parts that don't withstand the strain.

The Antenna Boss makes the FT-100D see the Little Tarheel II as an ATAS-120 and tuning from 10-40 meters is automatic at the touch of the TUNE button on the radio. For 75 meters, you turn off the ATAS-120 auto-tune function and manually raise and lower the antenna with a rocker switch. This works well if you have patience. Remember, screwdriver antennas are HI-Q and it is easy to tune right past the "resonant" spot on the coil.

Here's a bit of advice. A GOOD ground to the chassis of your vehicle is imperative. If you don't have a good ground, the antenna will send data to the radio that it hasn't found an acceptable SWR and you won't be able to transmit.

After nearly 2 years of operation I started having difficulty with the system. The antenna wasn't tuning. After checking everything I was still baffled until I looked at the ground connection point on the chassis of my Jeep Cherokee. The grounding point had rusted and was probably presenting too much resistance for a proper ground. I found a new ground connection point (lots of small holes in the support struts) and lightly sanded it. I then used flat washers and a nut and bolt to secure the ground wire. After making the connection, I coated the connection with white lithium grease.

After doing the ground wire maintenance, the system was back in operation and tuning was flawless. Don't overlook the importance of that ground wire. It's critical for screwdriver antennas.

KD5UJX Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2004 18:43 Send this review to a friend
It does the job  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had mine about 6 months. It has worked flawlessly, sort of. What I mean by that is the Boss has worked flawlessly, my FT-857 hasn't. At the time this saga begins, I had my FT-857 and a High Sierra 1800 Pro installed in my 2002 Ford Exploder. All worked well abet a pain in the back side to tune. You must go to menu 75, reduce power to 5 watts, return to the band, switch to AM or FM and tune, return to Menu 75, bring the power back up, return to band, switch to LSB/USB. It took time.

Along comes the W4RT Antenna Boss for Christmas (thank you XYL!) and after a short install and rewire of the manual (not on the radio, the aux box that came with the antenna) up/dn switch. After as short INT of the radio, all was right with the world and I went to bed. The next day I was switching and tuning around the bands and decided to go to 80M manually as the Boss will only tune the original 6-40M not 80 or 160. I tuned 80M manualy by the old process and then switched bands back to 40M and pushed the "tune" button to auto tune back to 40M, driving duties took my eyes off the radio for a minute or two and then it happened, the "Two ohm smoke". Fried one output transistor, a cap and a diode. Back went the 857 to YEASU for repair, came back in 3 weeks! (Way to go YEASU!) UNDER WARRENTEE!

In the mean time I had bought another 857 to use an EMCOMM radio (more on this later). I installed the first 857 back in the car and all was right with the world again. I used it perfectly for 4 months. A friend put up a 6M repeater and I wanted to try it. I pulled the whip off the HS and switched to 6M. I pushed the "tune" button and the antenna started to move down. It never found low SWR so, I switched off the "tune" function and went to good ol' menu 75 and dropped the power back to 5 watts. I pushed the aux antenna control switch (not on the radio) to move the antenna up while in AM mode to see if I missed the tune point (you can fool the radio sometimes), by the time I got 3/4 of the way up I could smell the smoke AGAIN :(How do you smoke a radio at 5 watts?) I pulled the radio out in disgust.

I installed the second FT-857 in the SAME CONFIG as the first one and ALL IS WORKING WELL. Tunes 6M with no problem. Go figure? However, now I move the antenna back into the band portion that it was in previously before I use the "tune" functio again.

The first radio went back to YEASU for repair (back in 3 weeks, no charge again!) And that is where it stands today. I am still using the second radio in the car and plan to keep it there.

Does it work? Yes, it works well.

BTW, Barry at W4RT was VERY helpful in this by explaining how the Boss works (more complicated than you would think), he was sure that it was NOT at fault in this.

W6MT Rating: 2/5 Jan 27, 2004 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Be careful if you use 6M  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had it working for several days with the Sidekick (which see). Then tried 6 meters. The RF blocking inductors smoked and the unit died. Be careful if you want to use it for the higher frequencies. - Otherwise it's pretty cool.

N7ZM Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2003 17:11 Send this review to a friend
works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The W4RT Antenna Boss works great. I use it with my FT-857 and High Sierra Sidekick Screwdriver antenna. It does all they claim and the warranty is fantastic. I originally received a defective unit and Barry requested I send it back for inspection. It was found to be bad and a replacement was sent out. It works and now I can tune my High Sierra in the Yaesu ATAS mode. Recommend this unit to all yaesu 857, 897, Ft-100 owners with screwdriver antennas. Throw away that ATAS-120 and get a real antenna !
Ron N7ZM

W4WB Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2003 23:21 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Antenna BOSS has been tested with antennas from High Sierra, Hi-Q, and Tarheel, and worked well with each. Mostly, the FT-100/D was used in testing, but the FT-847, FT-857, and FT-897 were also used and the same results were observed. The ATAS functionality of these radios was retained so that tuning is accomplished by simply pressing the tune button (key) on the radio. The radio thinks it is working with the ATAS-100/120, but the signal performance is a lot better with an antenna from High Sierra, Hi-Q, and Tarheel.