Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | MFJ-494 Super Keyboard Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-494 Super Keyboard
MFJ-494 Super Keyboard Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $300.00
Description: 20+ year old, self contained, super keyboard with a metal case.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-494 Super Keyboard.

N4KZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2005 10:20 Send this review to a friend
A real gem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this keyboard keyer new in the late 1970s and have never regretted it for a moment despite paying a hefty $300 for it. It was around 1978 and I was at the Dayton Hamvention and began playing with the keyboard at the MFJ booth. I just had to have it. But no dealers at Hamvention had any so I began bugging the MFJ people to sell me the demo model. They were reluctant but finally agreed they would sell it to me for full price if I'd come back once the convention had concluded.

I did and they did and I've used the keyboard almost daily ever since. It's gotten a lot of wear and tear from me as I've toted it around the country but has always worked flawlessly. I just wish it had non-volatile memory to retain the items I've programmed into the memories.

But the keyboard made me a better CW operator and really improved my receiving speed since I could send flawless code faster than ever. I might add that it really helps to be an accomplished touch typist because otherwise you may not know you've made a typo since there's no screen to watch.

Plus, the people I've worked over the years have enjoyed the benefit of receiving flawless -- or nearly flawless -- Morse Code from me. I've been complimented many times on my good fist. Sometimes I fess up and sometimes I don't!

If you ever find a used one and it works, buy it.

73, Dave, N4KZ

KZ9G Rating: 4/5 Sep 1, 2003 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Actually Enjoy this Product!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After buying it used at a Louisiana hamfest in the late eighties, I've owned the MFJ-494 super cw keyboard for at least 15 years now. Mostly, it has sat in a box waiting to be used between moving around the country. But recently, I removed it from it's storage box and brought it to life again. I'm really enjoying CW again with this keyboard, even with it's occasional qwirks. The most obvious qwirk is its doubling characters every once in awhile. Heck, it may just be my typing... My new Kent paddle key is plugged into the key jack, and seems to be quite a match. If you can find a good used battleship MFJ-494, pick it up. It's been great to me.