Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Peet Bros Ultimeter 100/500/800 Help

Reviews Summary for Peet Bros Ultimeter 100/500/800
Peet Bros Ultimeter 100/500/800 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $199.00-279.00
Description: Basic Weather Station

You can write your own review of the Peet Bros Ultimeter 100/500/800.

KF5EFR Rating: 4/5 Oct 21, 2010 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Not APRS ready  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Ultimeter 100 as part of a project to setup a remote APRS weather station at our model rocket club's launch site. I had read that the unit was APRS ready, as in it shipped with a cable, but when I received the station, there was no cable included to get the RJ out to an RS-232. The cables from Peet cost $20 so I would go with making your own if you can.

Other than that little issue, the weather station looks pretty professional, and I am impressed with the sensitivity of the anemometer and wind vane.

VK6UFO Rating: 4/5 May 12, 2010 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Almost perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
We've been using five of these at work for three years. They perform well, but there are a couple of problems. The backup battery goes flat too quickly even if backup is not required. A rechargeable 9v with inbuilt charging would be better. The wind vanes have deteriorated somewhat over the three years. They don't seem to like being too close to the ocean. They don't like being hit by 7.62mm either but I'll let that one slide.

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2008 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Ultimeter 800 is an excellent product. The sensors are durable, accurate, and dependable. However, I once had a humidity sensor fail, but Peet sent me a replacement element after writing their technical support an e-mail about the failure. The 800 does NOT do barometric pressure, although it has the barometer symbol on the keyboard. You must use the 2100 for that. The weather-text tools software is easy to setup, and easily adapts to reporting weather conditions into the APRS network. Peet's web site also has pinouts of all their sensors and cables, so you may make your own if you'd like. Good product, and I'd certainly recommend it.

N6PSE Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2006 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Good product- Outstanding support!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Peet Brothers Ultimeter 800 for 5-6 years. I have really enjoyed the large Peet Bros "Weather Picture" that I have attached to it. The customer support from Peet Brothers has been outstanding! I had a power supply fail and Peet Brothers send me a new one free of charge without and questions or quibble. Good products and Outstanding customer support from this outfit.

W4MY Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2003 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased a factory refurbished Ultimeter 500 this weekend at the Shelby hamfest. As I was agonizing on yet another HT to buy this time I glanced over at the Peet area and it caught my attention. Iíve always wanted a basic weather station, and since the cost was in the range of an average HT, I went for it. The salesman was helpful, listened to my objectives, and didnít try to pressure me into the top of the line models. He was even helpful in suggesting homebrewing the accessories I needed as opposed to purchasing. Class act.

I got the optional rain gauge so that put the price in the $220 price range, right where I needed to be. Instructions were complete including initial testing, sensor mounting guidelines, wiring, controller setup. No need to call the factory in my case.

I installed everything on the side of my tower including the rain gauge. I used scrap materials and aluminum one typically uses for antenna construction. One trip to the hardware store did it for the rest of what I needed. Took me about 6 hours to build the supports, install the sensors, and run the wiring.

Now for the $60,000 question, RFI? None. Either from or to the WX setup. I did not buy the optional RFI filters. I did keep the wiring away from the coax lines as much as possible, but there is definitely some commingling of the wiring that couldnít be avoided. The sensors are in the ďgeneral vicinityĒ of my antennas, but not right next to any of them. (I am not QRO at my QTH, 100W max on 160-2M) I tried max power on every band and every mode, not a hint of RFI.) Donít understand the previous claims of RFI. I use standard methods of grounding, good coax and connectors, and resonant antennas, nothing special.

Slight negative: Iím not crazy about RJ-telephone connectors used throughout with this unit. Running these wires you have to be very careful not to break the connector tabs. It adds some time, however, they all worked and I didnít have any connection problems.

I did buy this on a whim (very much unlike me) but glad I selected Peet.