Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/PodCasts on ham radio | YASME--The Danny Weil and Colvin Radio Expeditions. Help

Reviews Summary for YASME--The Danny Weil and Colvin Radio Expeditions.
YASME--The Danny Weil and Colvin Radio Expeditions. Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$24.95
Description: Book on Danny Weil traveling on a shoestring budget and the Colvin couple traveling at a drop of a hat to rare DX countries that allowed them to operate in.

You can write your own review of the YASME--The Danny Weil and Colvin Radio Expeditions..

WB2ERJ Rating: 2/5 Mar 2, 2007 16:15 Send this review to a friend
An exciting time in radio made boring  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I was a young lad in 1971, I found a dusty old pile of CQ magazines in a corner of my elmer's basement. I picked one up at random and read the exciting account of Danny Weil's Nauru Island dxpedition. This captured my fancy and is one of the reasons I became a ham. When I saw this book I figured it contained all of the CQ articles Danny wrote. Unfortunately it only contains excerpts of them and much of Danny's plucky writing style is lost. Instead we are treated to boring statistics and a number of rather ugly letters exposing pettiness, shortage of funds, and squabling among the dx community. The Colvin exploits are made as exciting as watching paint dry. I would love to find a compendium of all the orginal CQ articles Danny wrote, but I cannot recommend this book.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2006 12:08 Send this review to a friend
A must!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the pleasure to work the Colvins from their last trip in the early 90s when i received my licence. To read their and Dannys story makes me feel the "good old days" of ham radio when CW was king and DX-peditions were a real adventure. Every interested DXer should read it

VE4MM Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2005 19:59 Send this review to a friend
NICE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I liked it.

Michael Mark, P.Eng., Life Member ARRL

W0VX Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2005 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Lots of DX History  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This book, commissioned by the YASME Foundation, is truly a fascinating read. It recounts the history of YASME and the many YASME DXpeditions over the years. There are many pictures and an amazing amount of historical detail. Jim Cain, K1TN, obviously did some very extensive research in authoring this book. Itís a must have for serious DXers.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2004 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Its great to read about an important slice of ham radio and DX "history". My parents were part of the character(s) generation so there is that angle that interests me, and just thinking about travelling the world doing dx-peditions with heavy "boat anchors" is quite amusing. Its also interesting to read about the DXCC Program and the characters who have helped shape it. Scandal, adventure and history - all good elements in the story. I also now know who has / had that awesome looking tower and beam antenna in Richmond - which I have driven by hundreds of times.

This book is an especially good companion to the "Hello World" book, where you can read about DX history with words and pictures of QSL cards from the past.

I give it 5 "807's".

W4PA Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2003 16:47 Send this review to a friend
A good read  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Even though I've been involved in ham radio since the early 1980's, I'd never really heard the whole story of Danny Weil and the YASME expeditions (the Colvin's were more familiar, as they were still active when I started DXing).
K1TN has really done a ton of research on this book and did a terrific job of narrating the story. It's a LONG book, more than 300 pages, and one of those compulsive page turners: "Is he going to make it, or what?" - recommended as a very entertaining read and worth the $25.

N0ODK Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2003 09:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Read  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This 320 page book by James D. Cain, K1TN, is an excellent read to get some of the history of DXpeditions in the past. Lots of info, pictures and stories about three people traveling to countries to help make availiable QSL cards from rare countries.