Reviews Categories | DC Power Supply Distribution Panels | West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4005 Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4005
West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4005 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: Description: A RIGrunner is the most convenient and safest way to connect all your 12 VDC equipment to a power source. It is a 13.8 VDC power panel that uses the excellent Anderson PowerPole connectors. Standardize all of your 12 VDC connections using the amateur radio ARES & RACES, RSGB, ARRL PowerPole system. The RIGrunner 4005 is rated at 40 amps maximum and has 5 outlets.
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4005.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2016 20:17 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: more than 12 months
It works......my only wish is that it had an LED to indicate it was receiving DC power

N1NAZ Rating: 3/5 Mar 26, 2015 10:02 Send this review to a friend
4005i Good But  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is for the 4005i Rigrunner.
First the Good
Great product for turning your equipment on and off from the "NET", also has good information off of the front panel display. Easy to program the "FUSED" output values.
The Bad, Sort of.
If you are going to be using this with any kind of lower than normal voltage source (IE battery as opposed to a power supply) be aware that at 20amps this will have a ~.6v drop (measured). Which with adding all the other possible drops in your "power system" could have an effect on your rig.
I run solar power and at times the voltage level would drop to below 11.5v loaded(at 20A) from 12.6v unloaded. This is just the nature of the 4005i's circuit.

George N1NAZ

K3VAT Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2012 17:01 Send this review to a friend
very convenient, quality materials, good service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Before the Rigrunner 4005 the back of my equipment desk was a rat's nest with twisted up cables, several cables way to long for the particular application, and cables where you couldn't tell which was the hot from the ground. Sometimes the power cables would work free of the power supply causing problems. I needed a solution. Rigrunner 4005 was the answer. I had WestMountainRadio guys make me up 4 custom length cables for the various boxes requiring 12vdc. Each cable had the correct power plug and a powerpole connector on the other.

WD0FIA Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2012 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Nice unit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always Anderson Power Poles, but never used them for power distribution.

The Rigrunners replace a bunch of cables and screw terminal strips. It will make it much easier to swap out radios!

Plus it makes for a higher XYL approval rating of my Shack.

W9TAM Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2011 18:37 Send this review to a friend
A must for mobile use  Time owned: more than 12 months
It just works. I love it when things just work.

After three years of being velcroed to the floor under my driver's seat, I pulled it out tonight (only to replace it with a 4004U so I can more easily charge USB stuff in the car). Aside from some dust, it doesn't look any worse for the wear. It has worked flawlessly, and I expect to get many more years out of it in my shack.

K3JPC Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2011 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Awesome customer service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am putting together a go-kit with a RigRunner 4005 in it so I can power my radio from my car wiring, from a power supply or from my battery power. The RigRunner makes it really simple. I mounted the radio and other components in a wooden box open in the front/back and mounted the RigRunner behind the remote speaker. All my power supply cables terminate in a powerpole connector and I just put the box down and plug in.

As part of my go-kit, I got the car charger receptacle from West Mountain Radio, but it was wired backwards with the center conductor wired to the negative. Although the Powerpole connectors are color coded, the zip cord on the receptacle is all black and they reverse-wired it. This blew my Icom CP-19R car charger for my Icom IC-T70 H/T. I determined the problem after the fact with a multimeter. Since the wiring of these receptacles is standardized and the powerpoles are color coded, it did not occur to me to check it out first, hence the blown adapter.

However, when I let West Mountain know they shipped out a new Icom adapter and a few Powerpole connectors in a plastic bag so I could rewire the receptacle, and several other connections. It arrived within a few days!

Kudos to a company that makes a great product and stands behind it and makes their customers happy when there is a goof. No firm can run mistake-free, but the measure of a great company is how they handle the occasional goof. I give West Mountain AAA+ ! Thanks to Joey Didion, their customer service manager.

John

K5ADF Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2008 22:42 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this Rigrunner in my Ford Ranger mounted on the floor behind the driver's seat. The IC7000 and FT8800 are mounted beside the Rigrunner. The antenna is a High Sierra 1800 with a TurboTuner. I have the transceivers and Rigrunner mounted on plywood and bolted to the floor. I used cable clamps mounted on the plywood to secure the DC wires to keep them from moving around. I have not had an issue with the anderson power poles disconnecting in the several years it has been in place. When I take the truck in for maintenance, I simply unplug the DC feed from the battery. All so very easy. I would recommend that the DC cables be secured from excess movement.

N5CSU Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2008 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 2 of these in use now for several years in mobile and fixed use, and they have operated flawlessly. Highly recommended.

K5ADF Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2008 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Works in mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these horizontally mounted in my pickup behind the driver's seat for the last four years. It supplies power to both my IC7000 and FT8800 plus accessories. I have not had the problem with the anderson powerpoles coming loose that others have mentioned. The RIGrunner is mounted to a plywood board, which is mounted to the floor of the pickup. The cables are tied to the board with nylon cable clamps to prevent them from moving around. The two transceivers are also mounted to the board with the remote heads mounted on the dash. The RIGrunner allows me to quickly power additional units when I am doing public service gigs and need additional mobile DC power. When I take the truck in for regular maintenance, I simply unplug the DC feed line so that the radios cannot be accidentally turned on. All so easy.

KA0SOG Rating: 0/5 Aug 21, 2008 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Service from West Mountain Another Dissappointment  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I went on line to get a return authorization and they did but rethinking also emailed and asked for my money back to their sales office. 60 days later no response. Maybe I can use it in my HO train layout. Product is in my mind unsafe for mobile and high amp application by virtue of Anderson Power Poles. I would not feel that way if they used a stud and ring terminal design. Granted I should have kept focus and followed up sooner but to not hear a thing just doesn't feel very good.