Reviews Categories | DC Power Supply Distribution Panels | West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4005 Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4005
West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4005 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: Description: A RIGrunner is the most convenient and safest way to connect all your 12 VDC equipment to a power source. It is a 13.8 VDC power panel that uses the excellent Anderson PowerPole connectors. Standardize all of your 12 VDC connections using the amateur radio ARES & RACES, RSGB, ARRL PowerPole system. The RIGrunner 4005 is rated at 40 amps maximum and has 5 outlets.
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4005.

KA0SOG Rating: 2/5 Jun 6, 2008 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Bloom is off the rose  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Despite my initial enthusiasm in my first post. The connectors don't really snap in and I have had leads pop off a couple of times. Frustrating, I am close to supergluing the connectors to the sockets and if I change something later throw the whole thing away as a lesson learned. I really can't recommend the product anymore.

KA0SOG Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2008 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Safety First  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great concept, hope it becomes a standard with all mfgs and in the auto industry. Huge safety improvement for my vehicle. I run a Kenwood 480SSAT, Kenwood 710, GPS, Tarheel Antenna (powered screwdriver antenna) and a GAP Hearit in-line audio processor. I needed a product just like this for safe electrical distributuion.

One annoying attribute that got it a 4 not a 5. A 6'foot power cable is two short for a mobile install for a full size vehicle i.e. my GMC pickup. It was about 2 feet too short. The additional fifty cents they didn't spend would have saved me from going up to Lowes and buying enough 10 guage wire to make an eight foot cable. Just plain silly.

I highly recommend this entire product line for the safety of your vehicle and it's inhabitants. If you drive a Honda your in good shape right out of the box. If you drive full size pick-up or SUV (a real automobile) then plan on getting a longer power cable.

K1RAT Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2007 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the 4005 as my DC distribution panel in my car for about 5 years now. Its connected directly to the battery and is velcroed deep in the passenger footwell high enough so its not "kicked". Its survived those errant toe "jabs" from some passengers and the dirty/dusty environment down there. Its just keeps working with practically zero maintainance.

Well made product that does exactly as it advertises!

N4MGR Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2007 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great product to power everything in the mobile setup.

K2GW Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2006 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used two of the 4005's for two years. One is supplied by the battery in my vehicle ad directs power to all of my rigs in my car. The other is in my go kit.

Both have worked flawlessly as have the few hundred Anderson PowerPoles connectors I assembled over the past few years. I've never had any disconnect accidentally and assembly is now a breeze withthe PowerCrimp tool.

Some complain about a lack of lock or strain relief, but a connector that's designed to safely seperate with a five pound pull actually doesn't need either!

KC9GGH Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2006 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Pleased with purchase  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I liked the idea of a distribution panel and the powerpole connectors. Works well for this new ham. It is too bad that the power supply does not come with a panel, but this performs the function well.

W7RJR Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2005 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a followup to the review I just made. The problem was attributed to a weird fuse problem, not an RFI problem. After opening the rigrunner there wasn't much to talk about, resistor, capacitor, LED, fuse.

I think I would have felt better about the price I paid had I not opened it :-)

W7RJR Rating: 3/5 Apr 26, 2005 09:01 Send this review to a friend
RFI problems?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I found the rigrunner to be a nice addition to the shack as far as distributing d/c to my vhf/uhf equipment and accessories. My HF rig is another story.

Oddly enough, my HF rig (IC756Pro) will randomly lose power when transmitting causing it to reset. When the rigrunner is bypassed the problem goes away. Perhaps it is a current rating issue rather than RFI, but this model is rated at 40 amps and the load I put on it never exceeds that??

Haven't opened it up to see what is inside, but presumably there is some kind of monitoring circuitry responsible.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2004 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
An excellent way to get your DC power distributed and wires organized. Using super glue to keep the connectors together, and using the West Mountain crimper made this little project easy and solid.

AE7Q Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2004 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Everybody should have one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Reasons:

1. PowerPole connectors are THE new amateur power standard (OK, it would be nice if the connectors locked together), especially for ARES/RACES work.

2. Well built, with standard automotive fuses.

3. Comes with extra PowerPole connectors for your DC cables.

Hints:

1. When soldering cables to connectors (I prefer soldering to crimping for power), take 0.5" of solder, fold it into a ball, and stuff it in the end of a connector before inserting a wire and heating the connector. This helps keep the solder inside the connector (it is important not to get solder on the connector's contact area).

2. In order to secure the two assembled PowerPole connectors into one unit, some have suggested a tiny amount of glue in the boundary gap. I use a clipped toothpick instead; the toothpick is non-conductive and has some "give" as you insert it into the boundary gap hole, which helps it to be retained.