Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Datong FL-2 Help

Reviews Summary for Datong FL-2
Datong FL-2 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $??
Description: Multi-Mode Audio filter

You can write your own review of the Datong FL-2.

G6UWK Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2015 01:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my FL-2 off eBay in its original box, connected it up to my FT-450 and used with the radio's DSP the results are incredible. The power supply 3.5mm jack was intermittent so I have replaced it with 2.1mm socket and that is all I have had to do to enjoy it.

On digimodes the results can be seen on the waterfall. The FL-2 is a great bit of kit. One thing I have noticed is to not put my headphones on before switching on as there is a momentary loud "zing" before peace reigns.

So would I get another? Yes another tool in my bag to fish out those signals from the mush or adjacent stations.

If you see one cheap (mine was 30) go for it. I cannot comment on the Bhi filters but at 1/3 the price it does an excellent job.

N2EIK Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2010 15:14 Send this review to a friend
WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I concur with NV2A. I am using a 940 that I inherited as a second rig for "casual QSOs" and I happend upon a guy that had a QF1-A and the Datong both for sale. I read the few reviews here and picked the Datong FL2 also considering it looked a bit better in asthetics. I love it! If your looking for a good filter without breaking the pocketbook then this ones a keeper!

GM4ULS Rating: 3/5 Apr 13, 2009 22:01 Send this review to a friend
A nice toy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am currently using it, from time to time, with an old Yaesu FT-101ZD. It can be a useful add-on, but you have to know your rig's capabilities first. With the 101ZD, I have learned how to "fly" the rig and get the best out of the receiver without the FL-2, to the extent that I seldom need it. But when I do switch it on, it does all that I ask of it.

NV2A Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2009 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you like analogue stations, this digital is a must. I used it with a TS 940 and in the CW modes I could reach in their and slice out what ever signal I wanted. It was nearly impossible to QRM the guy I was after unless you dead-nuts on him.

Also, on SSB, the auto notch filter was awesome. My friends in the club called it the Search and Destroy mode. No heterodyne could mess up your copy on SSB mode. Great feature on 40 meters.

Only complaint I had was the back 12V power plug was a coaxial plug and mine melted on me. Not sure of the cause, it may have been my fault but the unit still works. I have sold off all my old gear but the Datong FL2 has a home for life even though it is not needed with my IC756ProIII.

VA7DH Rating: 4/5 Jun 24, 2007 19:04 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked up a Datong FL-2 off eBay for a reasonable cost. I thought that I'd use it with an old Icom IC-745 transceiver I had acquired. Meanwhile I bought a shiny new Yaesu FT-847 which came with digital signal processing. This gave me a perfect opportunity to compare the two. I haven't noticed much difference between the two filtering systems. One problem with listening to SSB is all of the high frequency audio QRN that you hear. By bringing the top shoulder of the filter bandpass down to the top of the speech range most of that nasty penetrating noise is reduced to an acceptable level. I expect that the useful years my ears can keep working is substantially extended by use of this device (either the analog or the DSP filter). I have been considering putting this back onto eBay but will hold onto it because it's simple, it works, and it's paid for. If my Yaesu goes down for repair I can still put the Icom 745 back on the air with the external filter. By the way, the filter takes an input from the transceiver's external speaker output and has an output of its own to drive a speaker plus has its own headphone jack. The only thing I don't care for is the power input jack. It requires an external 12V supply. I used a miniature tip/sleeve plug on a cord and it worked but it was a bit loose. A slightly larger plug would be better, maybe a metric size rather than the 1/8 inch one I used. Fairly well made and relatively bullet proof, even polarity protection provided for the four thumb folks.

VR2XMQ Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2004 04:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Analog Filter!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best analog type filter I have. I also have some time wave models and the MFJ DSP filter, but for the value and money this one is very hard to beat. Very effective on SSB and CW.

2E0MKA Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2004 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked mine up at a rally for 25 and have to say its the best value amateur radio item i have purchased. I'm a keen cw operator and found without the fl2 i was swamped by adjacent stations when the band was busy. The fl2 enables the operator to reduce the bandwidth and more often than not remove most if not all the interference. The notch is great on ssb for removing hetrodyne type whistling noise and in conjunction with the other filters it improves things no end. Excellent build quality.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2003 20:41 Send this review to a friend
WONDERFUL!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great performance. Hooked to the TS-520s here in the shack, makes the Traffic net MUCH easier to copy. Low distortion, and easy to use. Notch is especially powerful. Quality construction, it must have been EXPENSIVE when new!