Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-K2AT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-K2AT
Kenwood TH-K2AT Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: Even at first glance, it's obvious that Kenwood's stylish new TH-K2AT is in a class of its own. Though compact enough to fit snugly in either pocket or palm, it offers all the features necessary to make operation simple and sure. And despite its smart looks, this144MHz FM transceiver is tough enough to survive the rigors of outdoor use, while delivering superb performance. So roam freely while enjoying the clear, reliable communications for which Kenwood is renowned.
More info: http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/th_k2at/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-K2AT.

KI6OSH Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2012 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Superb!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first ham radio...and now almost 5 years old with only one blip, the light burned out. Literally hundreds if not thousands of hours on this little ht. Wore the letters off it but apparently that is not uncommon. Another minor complain is that it is difficult to stand on its own, wants to fall forward. Am I picky? Yes I am but thought I'd mention this. Love this radio, though. Easy to program and sounds great on receive and transmit. I'd definitely buy another one if needed. A jewel of a radio, in my opinion.

KJ4UPD Rating: 4/5 Dec 18, 2011 15:41 Send this review to a friend
After 18 months of ownership  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio still is ticking. Rough and rugged, but not used as much since I purchased my Wouxun, because it is a dual band. The radio itself is great and easy to use, and can be modded for MARS and other uses on VHF if you have privileges to use them. Only downside to the radio is the accessories are so expensive! The radio itself $150, cigarette lighter battery eliminator $39, and the drop in charger I want to get is $60, batteries are outrageous, so you can see where the downside is.

This is a great radio for being out and about if you are going to be in wet or dusty environments. If you have the money to put down on accessories, this radio is great for use on 2 meters, but if not, I might recommend a Wouxun radio that may not be as quality built, but is really much more affordable.

VE2LAM Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2011 18:22 Send this review to a friend
a radio worth discovering!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i am a licenced amateur since 1988; this Kenwood TH-K2AT is my second K2AT (the other one was bought in 2009 and resold not much later), and this radio is my 66th (yes, 66th!) portable amateur radio since 1988.
As you can imagine i have owned almost each and every model of every brand, and of course sold et re-bought some of my preffered ones, like Radio-Shack HTX-202 (had 5), Icom V-82 (had 3), Yaesu VX-6R (had 4), and Yaesu FT50R (had 5 of them).
I re-sold the 1st TH-K2AT because of the pronounced audio hiss it produced on mid to low signals (like the TH-F6A by the way), it was annoying me. But i admit i resold too quickly. Why?
Because this radio is the only portable i've had that can receive commercial services outside the 2m band so well with its stock antenna.
Because this radio can extract from the noise floor signals that neither the IC-V82, VX-6R, VX-8GR, Icom 92AD can, with their respective antennas.
Because it has a Priority function that is the less disturbing on normal channels that i've had the occasion to use (be it on ham portables or scanners).
Because once accustomed to the menu system, you feel it as a not complicated radio, with few chances to change a function or put it in an unknown state because of accidental buttons pushes (in VFO mode, you can't even enter frequencies by punching numbers on the keyboard: you first have to push "enter" *then* you can enter your freq).
Because even if in a few months the buttons printings dissapear, i won't lose essential functions or symbols: the buttons are 1 to 9, with F, VFO, MR and CALL => that's it!
Because very good green lighting, large easy to read display.
Because if you buy rapid charger, it charges in 1 hour, a plain 1-hour recharge (some other "rapid chargers" are 2.5 or 2 hrs).
Because if you buy the AA battery case, it does not change the physical size of the radio.
Because if you buy extra NIMH battery, you don't have to buy separate belt clip (some radios have their belt clips on their battery, and some even sell the belt clips separately).
Because it filters out intermod and noise like no other: my 42" plasma screen generate RFI noise on HD channels, and all my other portable radios & scanners struggles with this RFI. Not the K2AT!
And yes, it has annoying white noise on low signals but hey, it is outbalanced by all the other plusses!
i highly recommend this HT!

KJ4UPD Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2010 19:14 Send this review to a friend
After 6 months of ownership...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The radio is still ticking. Has accompanied me on hikes, bike riding and made a trip to Indiana and back and to the beach. The battery life is still good and all working well.

One thing I found though is if you are constant on changing antennas, you will need to clean the threads on the connector or the radio and antenna, as this degrades connections. All in all a great solid radio. Don't see it going anywhere soon except on walks with me. Curious to see what action it will see this fall.

WO4V Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2010 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Best 2 Meter HT I've owned.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a couple of these a few years ago when they were on sale for about 79 bucks or so. One for my xyl and one for me.

Up until these, my fave HT I ever owned (and I have owned a bunch) was my first, a Kenwood th 215...a rig I left on 24/7 on packet and voice and on my bench at work. I wore the ears off of the BNC connector on that rig. Dropped it in water. Used it for a mobile. Used it as a base, etc. Just indestructible.

Well, the K2 is fully it's equal, and smaller to boot. Only problem I have had is I cracked the AA battery case on mine and had to order a replacement recently.

During the recent flooding in my area, the K2's weather alert feature was a life saver, literally, at my bedside. Have dragged it around Dayton several years...I could go on, but this is a fabulous HT. For the money, you cannot go wrong.

Dave, WO4V

KJ4UPD Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2010 10:39 Send this review to a friend
What's not to like? It's a Kenwood!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend of mine and I bought ours the same time from imparts.com, and love mine. She had to take hers back, as it was DOA. My personal experience, I love it. Ragchew for hours. Battery last long enough for me and can hit local repeaters no problem on low power. I ended up buying a mobile magnet antenna, the cigar lighter cord, the Mic/speaker clip on and AA battery pack. This is built like a tank, dust and water resistant. The only 2 things I don't like are the screen scratches easily and the SMA antenna connector. Inconvenient for changing from HT antenna to mobile.

All in all, you will be pleased. Great radio!

$150 @ gigaparts.com

W2DI Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2008 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Nice solid radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I find this to be a really nice radio.

The unit fits very nicely in your hand and the weight adds to a solid feel. I can hit a nearby repeater with 0.5W INSIDE my work building, a steel and concrete structure which I am about in the middle of. This is sort of an informal test I use for an HT.

And, that is using the stock duck, which I respectfully feel is very good - for its size. Compared to a much longer antenna or an outside antenna it would naturally be inferior. But switching with other similar size antennas it is as good or better. I just don't like carrying a 4-1/2 inch radio around connected to an 18 inch or longer antenna.

There is no intermod of any consequence (why I like monobanders as opposed to wide range multi-banders and no muffled transmit audio as found with many underwater radios. The audio is crisp and clear.

The receive audio is not HI-FI, but, again, clear and undistorted.

The display is large and sharp and the buttons, with their backlight, are easy for me to see and operate.

The battery seems to last long, although I'm not fond of the 12 Hr charge time - so I did order the quick charger. I also have the AA battery holder for back-up. Kenwood got the latch system right too; no loose battery pack.

I like the choice of 3 power levels, not just high and low. Sometimes a watt and a half or so is just right and it is good to have the choice.

I keep the TH-K2 in a 'Pouch' for protection and it is holding up just fine.

There are a few minor things I would change, but all in all I think the TH-K2 is a great monoband take-along anywhere - including the briefcase - radio.

VA3HWA Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2008 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for the price !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Replaces my IC-W32A that died. Does everything I need / want it to do - only single ham band, though. Came with Li-Ion battery, charger and hand spkr/mic.Picked up some accessories (AA battery holder, programming cable, SMA to BNC adaptor and SMA to SO239 adaptor) cheap at online auction - most from Hong Kong. Made a DC cable from parts I had on hand.Adding Mirage B34G for extra kick when needed on the highway or in isolated spots. Using a HB roll up 5/8 wave J-Pole at home sometimes, but the stock antenna usually hits my 3 favorite repeaters.Would probably be better with a better handheld antenna to replace the stock unit. Hope to try a groundplane and maybe a J-Pole that's not so beat up as the current one as well as a decent mag mount mobile antenna.
I've never been fussy for the SMA connectors - prefer BNC - but with the adaptor, I'm adjusting.

WA2DII Rating: 3/5 Sep 18, 2008 15:17 Send this review to a friend
I'm a Kenwood Man but don't like this radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had a lot of Kenwood HT's but this one is bad. first off the radio is a dark blue & the battery is black. What are they thinking about? The audio is really bad,maybe the speaker. The small rubber duck is a joke.The price,well, for $30. more you could get a Icom IC-t7h sport. I am on my 2nd one and its a great radio. So think about the Kenwood before you get it.I got rid of it and got the icom.I have been a ham since 1964 and this radio is not very good.

73's hope this helps.

WX4O Rating: 4/5 Jul 3, 2008 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Good not Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine a couple of years and never experienced any problems except for easily scratchable display lens. I have replaced it with a VX-170 which has a
slightly recessed lens. It also has a very rugged feel and more easily readable display.