Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-K2AT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-K2AT
Kenwood TH-K2AT Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: Even at first glance, it's obvious that Kenwood's stylish new TH-K2AT is in a class of its own. Though compact enough to fit snugly in either pocket or palm, it offers all the features necessary to make operation simple and sure. And despite its smart looks, this144MHz FM transceiver is tough enough to survive the rigors of outdoor use, while delivering superb performance. So roam freely while enjoying the clear, reliable communications for which Kenwood is renowned.
More info: http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/th_k2at/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-K2AT.

KE7RJF Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2008 14:31 Send this review to a friend
couldnt get any better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio as my first radio and set it up with a J-pole and its performance still surprizes me. Its a keeper. If you want to have a good first radio, then buy this one, theres nothing bad about it.
KE7RJF

VU2CDP Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2008 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first rig and there's always an emotional attachment to the first purchase. Been 4 years since i got it and has served me faithfully all these years. Its not 'the' radio for 2mts as there might be better performers out there but i haven't come across them. The ones i have seen though pale in its comparison. It has its good points and bad but overall it gets an A+. Read why:

The positives-
1. Clean audio.
A general observation that multi-band rigs do sound different than ones made to operate on a specific band. The K2's audio is ample proof of this fact.

2. Good display.
The display is adequate to be read by even those with vision problems. You don't need to squint to see the readout as the characters are large enough and can be easily read in daylight conditions as well. The backlight too is bright enough.

3. Easy navigation.
Once you know how to get 'into' the menu, using the various features is a breeze. You dont need to be a genius to understand or even remember how to program this one. In fact, i haven't referred to that manual in the last couple of years at least.

4. Rugged built.
This is one radio that is solidly built. Two falls off the operating table but except for a very minor scratch at the edge, everything worked a OK.

5. Volume control.
The volume control knob has a nice feel to it and seems like a close cousin of some Motorola's meant for industrial environments.

6. Overall aesthetics.
The overall design was the factor in deciding to go for this model. As an amateur i not only consider the return on my investment but also take into consideration what sort of impression my shack, equipments etc. make on those who are non-hams. Unsolicited remarks from hams and non-hams alike include "thats one good looking radio you got !" :)

7. Price
The price is under $150 and its a real good bargain considering the quality of the radio. One of the few good amateur gears out there which can be easily afforded by anyone. Gives me a tremendous sense of satisfaction that it has provided the ROI and more than what was expected out of a sub-$150 radio.

The negatives-
1. The squelch control and backlight buttons.
Would have preferred a knob instead of a button on the side which needs to be accessed through the menu if you have to set the squelch to a particular level.
The quality of the switches seems to be poor since in my case, both switches have quit working. I also know another OT who bought it from the USA after reviewing other 2mt HTs. And the 80 yr old has some experience of radios and he too has complained about these 2 switches not functioning anymore. Don't know how many others have experienced this before.

2. Stock rubber duck antenna
Most reviewers have reported the same performance issues with the stock rubber duck that i have experienced. Though i dont have the test equipment to give you the exact numbers on its performance, but on-air performance was dramatically improved when the rig was connected to an external antenna. In fact, the quality of the audio from the local repeater was better than even the mobile rig i use of a very popular manufacturer in the US.

3. Mic-earphone jack
The position of the mic-headphone jacks on the side of the radio is a bit of a bother. The rubber flap that covers the jacks also covers the DC input jack and when the mic and DC cord are connected together, i fear that the rubber covering may break off any time. Perhaps the jacks would have been better on the top of the radio next to the antenna just like some other HTs. This again is purely from an operational convenience point of view.

Considering all the above, i still rate it a full 5 / 5 because this lovely little radio has outperformed itself. Besides providing me countless hours of joy on the 2mt band rag-chewing with hams, it also proved useful in some fox-hunts. For the price and overall usefulness of this rig, i would say this is definitely a keeper.

W0WTC Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2008 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Very Good HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really like this radio and I have no problems with it at all. I like the features of the radio.

N0DMC Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2008 01:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I too wondered about that light being on. After getting around to read OTHER parts of the manual, there on page 88 of the manual it says:

Lamp on continuously: [F], [LAMP]

To turn lamp off REPEAT ABOVE

I like the feel, sound and ease of use.

WX4O Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2008 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Good HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Does everything I ask it. Don't like the easily scratched display.

KC9KSL Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2008 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Best HT I have owned  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I boght the radio for $89 (had the AA battery pack) and I have taken it many places droped it in snow mud it has been in some of the worst conditions and it works great with AA Li batteries. Only thing about it is that the light stays on for some reason but it doesn't drain my batteries so I don't mind it.

KC2OCU Rating: 3/5 Sep 30, 2007 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Trult an "Amateur" Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The features are fine, but the audio output is typical of "Amateur" radios. Just lousy. It sounds like I am listening to a cheap 15 year old radio shack scanner. Tinny, and high pitched. This seems typical of all Amateur grade radios, wether Kenwood, Icom, or Yaesu.AMATEUR often applies to one practicing an art without mastery of its essentials. Buy a Kenwood, yaesu, or an Icom and you get just that, A lousy AMATEUR QUALITY RADIO!!!

KE5JKJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2007 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded my expectations!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purahcased this radio in July because of price, feature set and the reviews I read here. I mostly use the radio when commuting to and from work and I decided on a handheld since it could be easily concealed when the vehicle is parked in unattended lots where I work. Frankly, I did not expect good results operating from inside a moving vehicle in a large city with a high density of noise sources. I have been very pleased with its performance so far. Early on I was told I should get an outside antenna but I replaced the stock duck with a Smiley Stubby Duck (and KC2BHO's custom SMA-to-BNC adapter)and the worst report I have had was that my signal was 5% noisy. All of the repeaters I monitor are at least 10 miles away and if I can hear a station, they generally hear me loud and clear. At night, I can usually get by with the 1.5 watt setting. My only complaint is the positioning of the volume control on the bottom. If the radio is kept in its leather case, as mine is, the knob is a bit hard to turn without changing the frequency as well. But, that is a minor issue overall since I usually keep the volume at a high setting to overcome road noise. I listen more than I talk so I get about a week out of the battery pack that came with the radio. I also purchased the DC vehicle adapter. At $36, It is a bit pricey but it has saved me more than once when I got into a long QSO on a half-charged battery. If you don't add any other accessory, get the DC adapter. I also recommend the leather case. It fits well and protects the radio from normal dings associated with HT use. Although this is the only HT I have owned, I gave it a 5 because it cleary exceeded my expectations.

KC2QVS Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2007 04:19 Send this review to a friend
A solid transciever.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was my first radio and it is performing well in two weeks. THE BATTERY HOLDS ITS CHARGE NOW! The stock atenna is good but I plan to replace it. The radio can be backlighted, and I keep that feature on all of the time. If you plan to name your cahnnels, you have 50. You need to get the hang of programing memory channels, but it is VERY easy after that. Large LCD Screen. Can be operated with very little light and has great audio. The only minus on the radio is sometimes the PTT button gets caught for a few seconds, but that is rare. Great radio!

KD4KWQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2007 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Great little transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't imagine getting a better radio for $89 (I got the version with the AA battery holder). With 6 2500mah NiMH batteries, the radio works for a long time on a charge. I put a dab of Loctite on the screws that attach the belt clip. The main thing that prompted me to write a review was that the radio still works fine after dropping off the roof of my truck and bouncing across an asphalt parking lot. The batteries flew everywhere but aside from a few gouges, nothing seems damaged. I do plan on replacing the stock antenna ASAP. Too bad I can't get one to match the blue radio! Things I would add? How about a "LOW BATT" warning?