Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-941B ANTENNA TUNER Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-941B ANTENNA TUNER
MFJ-941B ANTENNA TUNER Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $unknown
Description: 200 WATT antenna tuner ,capacitive tee, with balun for unbalanced line, longwire terminal for endfeed, and coax connectors for antenna and transmitter input

You can write your own review of the MFJ-941B ANTENNA TUNER.

N7EKU Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 2012 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Nice but should only be purchased by Boy Scouts!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hi,

I picked up one of these off eBay that had seen very little use and was listed as having trouble. I can see why -- if you buy one, "Be Prepared" to a little work.

The trouble is, the case had such a wonderful paint job (outside AND inside) that all of the SO-239 jacks had very poor grounds. They were riveted strongly, but the rivets didn't make it past the paint. The ground connections for the main inductor and also the PCB were suspect too. At first I thought I had a bad cable - but a known good one caused trouble when wiggling the connection in the back so I knew the trouble was elsewhere.

Not too bad to fix, but about an hour to drill out the rivits, bare the case metal on the inside, and re-assemble with screws and nuts and star washers.

I suspect the some of the arcing problems on the inductor switch folks have mentioned are due to poor circuit grounds more than the switch itself.

Cheers and 73,

Mark.

KB2NAT Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2010 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Works, but with limitations  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three antenna tuners (MFJ-949, 993 autotuner) plus an MFJ 16010 wire tuner. I have also owned an Heathkit SA 2040 (superb), so I can compare the 941 with the above with some experience. First, the tuner works, but is a but touchy. Retuning to a previous band will require different settings than the the first time. My unit requirede fixing some cold or loose solder joints, also. The unit works, but for a few more shekels, you can purchase a tuner that works with more ease.

VK5GI Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2010 19:32 Send this review to a friend
No Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a 941B in the shack for some years now. I find the build quality to be excellent, its tuning capabilities to be excellent, it is small and light enough to be packed with the rest of my portable qrp gear and I have no problems with it at all. There is nothing really to be problematic! I like it, it is the main tuner in the shack and I'm looking for another!
Have fun.

WA4JM Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2008 17:45 Send this review to a friend
For QRP, This is Great Tuner! Look for one used.  Time owned: months
I bought this at the Brooksville Hamfest a few years ago. Yes it has all the drawbacks mentioned in other articles, but it works great. For an acurate power out, do what I did.

When running a wire, buy a 6.3 volt light from Rat Shack, buy a bag of small gauge jumpers with alligtor clips, cut one in half and solder each end to the tip and shell of the bulb.

Next make sure the wire is bare comming from the antenna tuner, and clip one end near the tuner and the other at the far end of the same wire so essentially the contraption is in parallel with the end fed wire. RF current will flow through the end-fed wire AND the lamp circuit. Tune for max BRIGHTNESS and then disconnect.

VE2ITZ Rating: 3/5 Nov 1, 2007 12:47 Send this review to a friend
not the most beautiful of beasts  Time owned: more than 12 months
First tuner ever. Got it for 45 canadian dollars at a hamfest. Originally it was really ugly looking with that fake wood plastic cover that they used in the 70's and early 80's. I took that off and painted it black. Design and functionality is awful. The switch to change antennas is in the back. Also trying to use the internal swr meter is a pain in the butt. I recently acquired a 901b which is easier to use and much newer.

N5VWN Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2006 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Does a good job  Time owned: more than 12 months
Okay, the light burnt out eventually. But I've been very pleased with this tuner. Sure, I'd love a Palstar but can't spare the money. I've had this tuner (the E version) for years. I just sent it to the Philippines for some DXing while on vacation. Replaced it with the 948(today!). With the 941E, I'm able to tune 160 on my 80 meter dipole and even make some contacts. Nothing wrong with a cheap tuner if it works. Keep in mind, I've never even seen a higher end tuner so don't have that to compare it with. Still, no issues with this tuner or mfj. They make stuff affordable for the rest of us. I'm very glad they're around. All my friends use thier tuners also, different models. No complaints. My other tuner is the tiny travel tuner and it's fine too! One more thing. At least for me, I'm able to tune 6 meters.

G4FSU Rating: 3/5 Sep 10, 2006 01:00 Send this review to a friend
Cheap & Flimsey, but Works  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used this as a main tuner for several years to match a doublet for all bands. It really will tune up almost anything.

Badly let down by the build quality. The 4:1 balun is a tiny little affair & not up the power it's rated at. The inductor switch failed on my unit after a few years & was badly burnt and pitted on inspection.

Now consigned to the bin, but it did match various antennas quite well. Just keep the power down.

N7UQA Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2005 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Good for QRP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these tuners for several years, it works ok but you still need to watch the power even at 100 watts. I have used this tuner to load just about any antenna, long wires, Vs and even electric fences. But while loading a CB antenna on 17 meters the inductor switch arced with 20 watts. I suppose I could replace the inductor switch but I'll just get something else. If you find one at a hamfest it will make a good QRP tuner or a band pass filter for a SWL.

Craig - N7UQA

K5NT Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2004 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my 941B tuner for many years, and have used it with many types of antennas. It has always worked well, and it will be with me for many more years to come.

WA4JM Rating: 4/5 Jul 18, 2004 16:19 Send this review to a friend
941B w/QRP Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've use the 941 with the MFJ Travel Radios on 40 and 75 meters. The antenna was a random wire stretched mostly vertical. I did have 30 foot wire attached to the ground terminal and laid out over some shrubs about 3 feet above ground.

I was able to RELIABLEY check into SCARS on 7251 and work from just south of Bainbridge GA to Dade City-Zhills-Tampa on a daily basis.