Reviews Categories | Microphones | Shure 522 Desktop Microphone (Unidirectional) Help

Reviews Summary for Shure 522 Desktop Microphone (Unidirectional)
Shure 522 Desktop Microphone (Unidirectional) Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $89.00 (Lowest Price)
Description: The Model 522 is a dynamic base station microphone designed especially for radio communications, paging, and dispatching systems. Its cardioid (unidirectional) pickup pattern suppresses unwanted background noise -- the type of noise generated by other dispatchers working nearby, by ventilating equipment, or by office machines in the same area.
More info: http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/522.asp

You can write your own review of the Shure 522 Desktop Microphone (Unidirectional).

G7HZZ Rating: 2/5 Mar 21, 2016 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Good mic, clunky housing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While this is a good mic in terms of audio quality, the PTT switch bar is really dreadful. It is difficult to lock, and does so with a loud snapping sound, and is near-impossible to then release single-handedly. Overall it looks and feels cheap and nasty. There are microphones that have similar audio characteristics, but much better chassis and functions. Really very very disappointing. It maybe fine as office mic. but for amateur radio it really sucks - I am returning mine for a refund.

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2014 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Superb - Perfect Match to the Transmitter  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Shure 522 microphone will be one of your best ham radio accessory purchases. It has an audio frequency response curve between 60 to 11,000 Hz which means it will pick up your voice, but not necessarily a lot of unwanted ambient noise outside its frequency response curve. It works best as a close-talking microphone, where it will have its full audio response, but tend to reject ambient noise from noisy cooling fans, barking dogs, children playing in the next room, and the XYL calling you for dinner or issuing orders to complete that long-ignored honey-do list.

The SHure 522 has a particularly clear, articulate microphone cartridge. It has a sturdy, durable, and attractive desk stand with adjustable height, with a practically indestructible PTT switch. You can either press the PTT switch each time you transmit, or lock the switch for extended transmissions, or for hands-free or VOX operation.

Excellent, durable, clear sounding, full, but not too full, audio response, with just enough extra response beyond the roughly 200 to 4500 Hz human speech audio spectrum, sounding full and natural, but never booming or overbearing, and not overly treble or thin either. Just right. As a result of the "proximity effect" many dynamic microphones have, it can become too thin if the operator sits too far back when transmitting. This is true of many (most) dynamic microphone cartridges, so, as with all microphones, good, consistent operator habits are essential to realizing the full value of this (or most any microphone for that matter.)

There is good reason the Shure 522 is a legend in the communications arena.

Just my take. // James K8JHR //

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2010 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The audio is good, it looks good, it has adjustable height,and it drives the radio well. Sounds like a good combination to me. Try to get a used one on the cheap, as they are very well built and used ones should work fine. I used mine on a Tempo One, a TS-520, and always got good audio reports. A very nice microphone.

KC1UA Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2009 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Great mic at a great price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Based on the positive reviews here at eHam, I began searching for one of these mics for my Kenwood TS-480SAT. I was able to find one listed as "new" on eBay. It arrived today, and sure enough was packaged like new and in absolutely mint condition. I used a terminal block for wiring as the mic's wires are too large to fit directly into an RJ45 connector.

The 6 meter band was opening and I started making contacts there. On the very first contact I received an unsolicited report on my great audio with excellent highs and lows.

I'm glad that the neck adjusts up and down, as it needs to be a little taller than its "stock" appearance to work well for me. It seems that with it raised an inch or so and me talking directly into it from about 3" away is where the audio seems to be at its best. Monitoring my signal its unidirectional capabilities are evident, as it is not hearing anything from the side to include a scanner and the Boston Red Sox baseball game.

The price of my new gem? $25.00. I also won an eBay auction for two more of these mics. The cost there was $22.50 for both. They will serve nicely as backups.

I'm certainly very pleased with this mic out of the gate, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quality alternative at a low price.

KS4HY Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2008 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Nice microphone with good reports  Time owned: more than 12 months
I regularly receive unsolicited reports about my Shure 522 on my stock Kenwood ts-850sat ham radio. I do not use any external EQ or processing on the microphone. It is just the radio and the microphone. I have had more than one person ask what I was using without me asking for a report.
The output of the Shure 522 is lower than say a Shure 444d, so you will have to run the mic gain on the radio higher. Nice microphone. I have had zero problems with mine.

KC2RGW Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2008 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, and a bargain if you find them used  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Built like a tank, the way I like my desk mics.

The audio response is great as it has a full range element. Much better than the usual communications grade narrower elements on many other mics.

The noise reduction of this mic's pattern is phenomenal. I tend to have multiple radios all going at once and sometimes scanners too, all fired up on the same desk. With the 522's people can't hear any of the background cacophony.

They need to be talked about three to four inches from the element and on-center, but a bit of practice using monitoring will show you the sweet spot pretty quickly.

I've had good results on the following radios

Kenwood TS-680S (a bit bass heavy, but nice)

Yaesu FT-1000MP (with edsp engaged, it suits my voice very well)

Yaesu FT-7800R (though it could use a bit more drive on this one for simplex)

I got my pair used at $35/each in like-new condition.

You'll need to open the base and pull the grounds off the PTT switch if you want the mic element 'live' for use with VOX or a seperate PTT switch.

W2MB Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2008 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Works Just Fine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
No raves, I'm just told that the audio sounds good coming from this Mic interfaced to my Yaesu FT900CAT. The only difficulty was making the connection between the Shure 522's professional grade cable and the dopey RJ45 connector that the transceiver uses for it's Mic input. I ended up usings 2 XLR connectors and a cut off piece of a pre-terminated, stranded conductor RJ45 data cable to make the interconnect.

VR2XMQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2008 23:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used daily with my Paragon HF. One reviewer says it sounds like a Heil, it is more likely that a Heil sounds like this Shure!

Steve, VR2XMQ / VR10XMQ

WU8P Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2008 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Very good desk mic.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 552 like new on ebay for less than $20 and it performs just as good as a mic costing $100 more.
It is built very well and I have gotten great audio reports using my Kenwood TS 870S.

KC9JYW Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2007 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have tried several mics on my 757gx yaesu including the MD-1 line mics. Everyone of my audio reports were extremely good. On a side by side comparison with the MD-1c8, the 522 audio sounded better and that was at arms length with the mic gain on the radio turned up to half mark and the processor on. Both mics sounded good, dont get me wrong, but if you can do without the up/down buttons on the MD-1's, save yourself some money and pick up a shure 522. Im glad I did and everyone seems to like the studio quality audio..