Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Fritzel GPA 50 Help

Reviews Summary for Fritzel GPA 50
Fritzel GPA 50 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $250
Description: Vertical HF antenna 80/40/20/15/10m

You can write your own review of the Fritzel GPA 50.

OZ1GCT Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2011 03:42 Send this review to a friend
Fair antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one 20 years ago, and it worked ok on 10-15-20 meter, 40 and 80 meter not very good.
I gave it to friend 5 years ago, and he used it a lot with good result.

PD2JHP Rating: 0/5 Feb 14, 2011 01:05 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced piece of grap  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought it new, just two years ago. Just before the PACC (Dutch contest) I checked my antennas and discovered that the GPA 404 was not in resonance at all. I took it down and after some measurements I dismantled the first trap (10/15 m); it was broken (I know these things can happen, but considering its price ($300 plus), I wasn't happy!). Fortunately I do have a long wire with my good old automatic tuner (CG 3000), so I was still QRV.
Fritzel is a very old German brand, but I think the quality is gone when the old owner/developer passed away. The price for a new trap is so high that I will repair it by myself after buying some aluminium wire at the Bonsay shop HI HI.
I will always remember its unreliability.....

Jan PD2JHP

G3PNJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2009 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Very well built and is reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi,
I bought my GPA 50 almost 20 years ago - almost an original Fritzel. Unfortunately, I was only able to ground mount it so I lost the 40m band. I did not put down many radials - only 6 or so. But it performed well on 20, 15 and 10, with 80m being marginal. After 10 years of maintenance-free operation I took it down when I moved QTH and it was in superb condition still. No corrosion or water in the traps. It was in store for a few years until I moved again. Up it went again - as a ground mount, but with many more radials. I discovered that Hofi had produced a revised and very superior feed point attachment. I bought one at the Friedrichshafen show and fitted in about 40 minutes - no problems. A little later, i discovered that there is a conversion kit to turn the '50 into a GPA 404 - which restores 40 m for me - loosing 80 did not matter. I emailed Hofi and made an appointment to collect the kit. I was made very welcome there, and also bought a few spares (trap plastic caps etc.).

The conversion took about an hour and the only adjustment I needed was to set up 40 in the centre of the band - a few minutes work to adjust the top section. It performs exceptionally well now 10m to 40, and with a tuner, 17m is very usable a bonus. So, now I have a GPA 404 which can also cover 30m if I change the top section and can be converted back to a GPA50 if I need to. All in all it is a well constructed antenna and will probably last me another 20 years. It is highly recommended - and there is no problem with corrosion. I checked it yesterday with my antenna analyser after I had to replace a PL259 on the feeder and it is precisely as when I reinstalled it 3 years ago.

73, John G3PNJ / DJ0MBK

IK1BXN Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2009 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed recently my GPA50.
For my point of view it's made in very good Al and all fittings are in stainless steel.Construction is solid as it always has been for Fritzel products (I haad other models in the past)
It's simply to setup and at my home it works very well all bands.Manual is detailed and in english.I had some doubts about positioning on my roof (it has a lot of slopes) and I phoned to Hofi.I easily got in contact with a technician that deeply knows product and he suggested me the best positioning in very kind way.

PD7BZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2009 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have my GPA50 now for over 2 years.
Does a great job.
When i am looking for DXing or contesting,i use the GPA50 alot,when my beam is in the other direction.
Made nice Dx with it as well.
Only use it for transmitting only on the 10 and 20M band.
I use it for RX on other bands as well.

I also own the GPA30.

73's
Bernard PD7BZ

PA3HGT Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2008 08:44 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is easy to setup and to adjust a proper SWR.
The material to setup the antenna is very good chozen , stainless steel and a good quality of AL.
The 80 mtr coil /20 choke was not well protected so i used weatherproof tape.
The contruction is for the rest good and solid,typical a Fritzel product.
A friend of mine bought this GPA50 and installed above the roof in a area where there is always strong winds..... no problem for years.
This antenna is performing not so good on 80 and 40 but that can you expect with such lenghts.
The small dipols for 40 are simple too short for a normal performance.
When i installed this antenna , i got a band extra .. 12 mtrs but that's exceptional.
I give it a 5 despite a few cons because i worked much dx with this nice and strong antenna.

73,Hans,PA3HGT

www.pa3hgt.nl

F5NTZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2008 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Very good antena  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a very good antena.DX is OK with only 100 W and it works well on the DX pile up. I use it in CW and all the world is possible. It's a very solid antena and tune it is easy.

ON8DB Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2006 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Strong  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very good antenna but bad manual.

VR2KJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2004 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since Installed from 1984 till now SWR Still
1 > 1.3

DL0USB Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2003 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Corrosion Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
The same problem for all FRITZEL trap antennas is : water!
One day, but after many years, one has to repair them. The coil is made from aluminum which gets thinner and thinner. Replace it with coated Al or Cu or apply conformal coating, solithane is a good choice.