Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Yaesu YH-77STA Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu YH-77STA
Yaesu YH-77STA Reviews: 23 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $51.99
Description: Lightweight headphones

You can write your own review of the Yaesu YH-77STA.

W2BLC Rating: 0/5 Jun 30, 2012 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
The ball-joint broke and no amount of repairs will fix it to operate again as it should. Also, the pads are crumbly stuff that are better replaced with something from the dollar store. Of no value once broken at all!

ZL4AX Rating: 3/5 May 18, 2011 12:42 Send this review to a friend
The Emperor's New Clothes  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, just like the Emperor in the fairytale, I think I'm wearing some great radio accessory that makes me look like a proper ham, but in fact I've just paid fifty bucks for a 99c pair of bargain-store kid's flimsy earpads, just because thay've got 'Yaesu' written on them!
Sorry folks, but have we gone nuts here? These phones are just weakly constructed, bad-sounding, cheaper-than-cheap trash. I'm stunned that we hams are so gullible.
I get frustrated when my ten-year-old daughter comes home begging for me to buy her some article of clothing or another, just because it has 'Nikke' or 'Connverse' or 'Reebook' printed on it. When we go to the store I find that the item with the name stamped across the chest costs $150, but there's an identical sweatshirt next to it for $15. No way will that kid accept the identical one, and poor Dad gets forced to pay ten times the price.
Jeez fellas, are we as stupid as that little kid? Take a better look at the YH-77 headphones before you pay $50. Or is it THAT important that we have 'Yaesu' written on the earpiece?
Paul

W8DTW Rating: 1/5 May 16, 2011 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Bad Design  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Mine broke at the ball joints within 6 months of regular use. Poor design and bad injection molded plastic make these headphones a bad but at $50.00.

K1MMI Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2011 00:21 Send this review to a friend
Great on receive - poor construction  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two pairs of these headphones.
My first pair lasted 17 years but the headband broke in several different areas and the point where the headphone attaches to the headband also broke. I used epoxy and black electrical tape to keep the headphones in operation.

For the 1st pair I recently replaced the headband with a Radio Shack Headband, from headphones that had gone bad, and that headband should last a lifetime.

A year ago I bought my 2nd pair. Knowing the headband is a weak link I was extremely delicate in handling these headphones but in 4 months the headband broke in 3 places. I used epoxy and plastic cable ties to keep the earphones 100% functional so I can adjust the headband and the earphones move to fit my ears. These headphones feel the same as a brand new pair of YH-77STA so they are working great.

The headphones have a 35 ohm impedance and for very weak signals I am able to keep the AF Volume control at a lower level than a standard 32 ohm impedance headphones. With 32 ohms the noise level goes up when listening to very weak signals. So I need the 35 ohm impedance for best results.

I've been buying headphones for over 50 years and have a pair that is 34 years old that is like brand new. All I ever do is buy new cushions but the headband is in perfect shape.

The Yaesu headband is the only pair of headphones that I have ever had a problem with.
Yaesu doesn't sell replacement headbands.

But there is definitely a big difference when using the YH-77STA in comparision to a $20 pair of standard 32 ohm headphones when listening to a very weak signal.

N9RLO Rating: 2/5 Jun 2, 2010 09:07 Send this review to a friend
could be better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had these for about two years. Excellent sound. Cheap construction. The ball joints on the earpieces are too thin and break. I glued them back on after both ball joints broke and then one side and then the other quit working. I threw them in the junk box. NOT worth the over $50.00 PRICE TAG.

G3UCQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2009 03:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent sound and comfort  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just had a pair for my birthday. They are very comfortable and CW sounds great from my FT-2000.
If you after a good pair of stereo communication headphones you will not be disappointed with these.

OE5CSP Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2009 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Decent headphones  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought these headphones for my K3 because they have a stereo plug, they are lightweight and because of the reviews here on eham.They are very comfortable and the audio is very nice. Unfortunately the K3 adds a little hiss, but they work very well with my other radios.

K6DZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2007 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Comfortable !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the original YH-77 (no STA), which AFAICT are the same phones in an early mono version, mono 1/4" plug. These were still my favorite when years later a plastic piece on the mounting broke. I superglued a repair rather than buy a new set of communication phones.

By the way, this is the only Yaseu product I ever bought.

K2MK Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2007 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Nice for CW  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice & comfortable. Sound good with CW. They are stereo and work well on an FT-1000 in dual receive mode. They come with a small phono plug but Yaesu includes a 1/4" adapter. Clearly labeled left and right.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2006 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
This headphones are surprisingly good! Wear them for hours without sweating ears, sound is excellent.