Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Diamond W-8010 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond W-8010
Diamond W-8010 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $120
Description: 5 Band Dipole 3.5/7/14/21/28 MHz - 19,8 m long

You can write your own review of the Diamond W-8010.

PA3KVE Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2016 06:01 Send this review to a friend
Good antenne for little space.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I have my antenne over 3 years now.
No, I am not hearing everything as I would with a towered beam. And no I don't put up a very strong signal as some HAMs that use 1,5 kW on a stacked yagi.
It's a mediocre antenna for 5 (or more bands). I make nice QSO's and I can work the world.

The fact that I homebrew it, makes no difference: it's a exact copy of the W8010.
Can I recommend it? Yes, sure.
Always looking for better antennas for my space; didn't find any yet.

KD6NXI Rating: 3/5 Jan 11, 2016 20:06 Send this review to a friend
Default length is way off  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What I discovered is that at around 27 or so feet the default length of most all the 'stubs' are too long. I ended up chopping off the ones for 80 and 40 and 80 was still resonant around 3.630 which was an improvement as it was down around 3.5 Had to start shortening the 80 meter element. Was already resonant on 15 80 meters has about 50 kc of spread which isn't bad as this antenna is quite short.

However I made a giant mess of my mast's ropes and ended up with an infuriating disaster so I tore it all down and bought a comet h 422 and am happier.
K5DKQ Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2015 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Good compromise antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the Diamond W8010 as my first HF antenna, intending to mount it in my attic. I used it for about 6 months sporadicaly with a tuner. I just got a new Yaesu FTDX-1200 and used an analyzer to get it right.

The top 15m, 40m and 80m wire is mounted along the ridgeline of my attic, and i had to bend the ends of the 80m wire 90 degrees to fit. the 10m and 20m portion is run at about a 30 degree angle downwards from the top line. I also added two (app) 4 1/2 ft. wires at 90 degrees to the top wire and 30 deg. down for 6m coverage.

All bands tuned well except 80m, where I have a 900 khz section to use. 20m and 40m seem to do the best.

As I said, it is in my (one-story) attic, so it isn't a DX hunter, but I'm on the air.
VK2XAB Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2015 01:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Test equipment used an Antenna Analyzer.
Setup the Diamond W8010 when I first assembled it and hung it up 4.5m high using three Jay car telescopic masts.
When I started 3.5MHz was at 3.3 MHz I wanted it to be at 3.6MHz
7.00MHz was at 6.87MHz I wanted it to be at 7.1 MHz
14MHz was at 11.6MHz I wanted it to be at 14.2 MHz
21MHz was at 20.15MHz I wanted it to be at 21.3 MHz
28MHz was at 25.8 MHz I wanted it to be at 28.5 MHz
After removing most of the adjustment stubs it became quite close to amateur band I left the 40m &10m adjustment stub as is. 20m need a lot of cutting to get to 14.2 MHz but the SWR is quite high at 1.8 other bands are all ok.
Final result
3.54 MHz 1.5
7.03 MHz at 1.4
14.155 MHz at 2.4
20.88MHz 1.00
28.5MHz 1.6
I covered all the coils with silicon tape to prevent that material from degrading in the harsh Australian sun. This just fits my backyard which is 19.6m long.
Using a SDR Play SDR I can receive local VK stations and DX stations very well I have tried 80m 40m 20m 15m and 10m with good results.
ZL1PWR Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2014 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: more than 12 months
Gave this antenna a 5 because it works very well for me at a low height of 15 feet I have changed it slightly by separating it into two dipoles by adding another balun and coax feed as I found 10m to be a little deaf but by liberating the 10m and 20m dipole away from the other its way better anyone who has one should try this it makes a big difference and is simple to tune this way all stations I work are surprised by its performance especially on 80m as its so short its crazy!!!
PE1FCH Rating: 4/5 Dec 4, 2013 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Small flaw  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an update to my earlier review, in wich I described the dissatisfaction with the Diamond WD8010. After all it appeared that the balun supplied with the antenna, was defect. So far, things are looking good but a faulty balun out of the box should nevertheless not happen imho. The vendor replaced it with a new one in a jiffy, so good service. Hope to score some DX with this antenna!
VA2DV Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2013 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Perfect solution for small lots !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been looking at one of these shortened dipoles for a long time. They were not available in North america until recently. In my case, it replaced also another Diamond antenna ,the WD-330 T2FD broadband folded dipole. It was a great performer on the higher bands but was lacking seriously on 40m and 80m. The W-8010 is way better on the lower bands. Assembly was pretty straightforward with the usual high quality parts from Diamond. I had to completely remove the tuning stubs to get the resonants point where i want.The bandwiths associated with a short loaded dipole with coil are pretty sharp but usable.
This particular antenna fits pretty well on my small lot with an overall lenght of just over 63'.
In my book , a good deal for the coils , quality wire , insulators , a good 1kw balun and even some rope. A+ Diamond
MM0YET Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2010 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this aerial secondhand but unopened.

Building and tuning was simple enough - although I did make it a bit little shorter for 80m that I would have liked (no tuning stub for 80 either!).

Works well enough - although it's nothing I couldn't have built, it was good value with a proper balun and the weather at my parent's QTH means that most homemade aerials don't last long!
DL8RDL Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2008 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Was doubtfully, now convinced!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna and was really doubtfully - short antenna, tuning by stubs and so on.

I assembled the whole thing as shown in the manual, which describes every needed step. The material provided is prepared well, assembling is no problem. A bit of feeling in mechanical subjects helps.

After hanging the dipole in about 2,5m height my MFJ-207 showed the results I expected: 5 bands in resonance but below the ham-bands. I hung the antenna that low to reach the stubs easily for shortening.

I shortened the stubs to bring each band to resonance beginning with the highest QRG.
After tuning I hung the antenna higher to 5m. After this the resonance frequencies went up a bit. This is a thing you can expect - but unfortunately I forgot :-)
HINT: tune the antenna perfect to the lower qrg´s of each band if you intend to raise the distance between ant and ground

So I prolonged some stubs again to bring resonance back into the center of the bands. But that was my fault and not diamonds...

I like the antenna, it is playing well on all bands. Of course 80m is REALLY small in bandwidth. Therefore you need a tuner anyway. But the matched w-8010 works good on 80m!

SWR direct: QRG BW
40m:1:1,1 7.090 +/- 35kHz
40m:1:1,3 7.060 +/- 35kHz
40m:1:1,5 7.030 +/- 35kHz
40m:1:1,9 7.000 +/- 35kHz
80m:actually at 3,4MHz. But it is playing good when matched.

Good antenna for limited space - 19,2m!

I tried to match the antenna to 12m and 17m: My signal was heard...

Have fun on HF-bands with your W-8010!
G7MIW Rating: 4/5 Jul 21, 2007 22:34 Send this review to a friend
4/5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Same problem as most encountered with the instructions and found them at after that installed, tuned and operating inside 90 minutes. I have coated the traps in PVC tape for extra protection.
On-Air results are OK moreso on 80m and 40m.