Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Diamond W-8010 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond W-8010
Diamond W-8010 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $120
Description: 5 Band Dipole 3.5/7/14/21/28 MHz - 19,8 m long

You can write your own review of the Diamond W-8010.

ZL1PWR Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2014 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: more than 12 months
Gave this antenna a 5 because it works very well for me at a low height of 15 feet I have changed it slightly by separating it into two dipoles by adding another balun and coax feed as I found 10m to be a little deaf but by liberating the 10m and 20m dipole away from the other its way better anyone who has one should try this it makes a big difference and is simple to tune this way all stations I work are surprised by its performance especially on 80m as its so short its crazy!!!

PE1FCH Rating: 4/5 Dec 4, 2013 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Small flaw  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an update to my earlier review, in wich I described the dissatisfaction with the Diamond WD8010. After all it appeared that the balun supplied with the antenna, was defect. So far, things are looking good but a faulty balun out of the box should nevertheless not happen imho. The vendor replaced it with a new one in a jiffy, so good service. Hope to score some DX with this antenna!

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2013 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Perfect solution for small lots !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been looking at one of these shortened dipoles for a long time. They were not available in North america until recently. In my case, it replaced also another Diamond antenna ,the WD-330 T2FD broadband folded dipole. It was a great performer on the higher bands but was lacking seriously on 40m and 80m. The W-8010 is way better on the lower bands. Assembly was pretty straightforward with the usual high quality parts from Diamond. I had to completely remove the tuning stubs to get the resonants point where i want.The bandwiths associated with a short loaded dipole with coil are pretty sharp but usable.
This particular antenna fits pretty well on my small lot with an overall lenght of just over 63'.
In my book , a good deal for the coils , quality wire , insulators , a good 1kw balun and even some rope. A+ Diamond

MM0YET Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2010 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this aerial secondhand but unopened.

Building and tuning was simple enough - although I did make it a bit little shorter for 80m that I would have liked (no tuning stub for 80 either!).

Works well enough - although it's nothing I couldn't have built, it was good value with a proper balun and the weather at my parent's QTH means that most homemade aerials don't last long!

DL8RDL Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2008 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Was doubtfully, now convinced!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna and was really doubtfully - short antenna, tuning by stubs and so on.

I assembled the whole thing as shown in the manual, which describes every needed step. The material provided is prepared well, assembling is no problem. A bit of feeling in mechanical subjects helps.

After hanging the dipole in about 2,5m height my MFJ-207 showed the results I expected: 5 bands in resonance but below the ham-bands. I hung the antenna that low to reach the stubs easily for shortening.

I shortened the stubs to bring each band to resonance beginning with the highest QRG.
After tuning I hung the antenna higher to 5m. After this the resonance frequencies went up a bit. This is a thing you can expect - but unfortunately I forgot :-)
HINT: tune the antenna perfect to the lower qrg´s of each band if you intend to raise the distance between ant and ground

So I prolonged some stubs again to bring resonance back into the center of the bands. But that was my fault and not diamonds...

Summary:
I like the antenna, it is playing well on all bands. Of course 80m is REALLY small in bandwidth. Therefore you need a tuner anyway. But the matched w-8010 works good on 80m!

SWR direct: QRG BW
40m:1:1,1 7.090 +/- 35kHz
40m:1:1,3 7.060 +/- 35kHz
40m:1:1,5 7.030 +/- 35kHz
40m:1:1,9 7.000 +/- 35kHz
80m:actually at 3,4MHz. But it is playing good when matched.

Good antenna for limited space - 19,2m!

btw:
I tried to match the antenna to 12m and 17m: My signal was heard...

Have fun on HF-bands with your W-8010!

G7MIW Rating: 4/5 Jul 21, 2007 22:34 Send this review to a friend
4/5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Same problem as most encountered with the instructions and found them at http://www.houseofradio.gr/download/W-series.pdf after that installed, tuned and operating inside 90 minutes. I have coated the traps in PVC tape for extra protection.
On-Air results are OK moreso on 80m and 40m.
73.

TA2RX Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2006 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent customer service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend of mine bought this antenna for me from Singapore. Unfortunately the manual was in Japanese. I wrote to the international customer service e-mail address I found on their website asking for a pdf copy of their manual in English. The next day the pdf file was in my mail box. However, it was not the mail address I had written them from but my mail address at yahoo. Apparently their mail bounced because my mail quota was not large enough to receive the pdf file. So they went into the trouble of searching for my mail address at qrz.com. Brilliant! THAT is what I call customer service.

However, reading the reviews, I can see I was not alone on this Japanese only manual problem. The whole manual is just four pages (one sheet of A3 paper). So I do not see why they were so insistent on giving out a Japanese only manual. It would not cost much to add an English version. Also, the image on the manual is way too small, making it difficult to read the writings. So they get a instead of a 5.

E20YLM Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2005 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
The assembly of this antenna is quite easy but difficult to tune up and trimming. Very good performance in CW. Need improvement with the material covering the coils, it is very thin and may brake upon scratching.

G4CFB Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2005 16:40 Send this review to a friend
4/5  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I found the assembly of this antenna quite easy the instruction quite detailed and easy to follow. I installed mine with a centre support of 8 metres tuning can take some time but very effective once tuned. I worked dx 80mtrs the other night (W3ZO) in Maryland. Good quality materials used in contruction overall length 19.2mtrs ideal where space is limited.

G4VGO Rating: 4/5 Oct 10, 2005 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Not Easy to Assemble  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I struggled with the Japanese version of the instructions but managed to muddle through. (Found the English version on a Greek radios site finally after I finished) Tuning and trimming is a bit critical, bandwidth narrow on the lower bands. Worked about the same as a multi-band fan dipole I had homebrewed a few years ago. One word of caution 1.2 kW PEP means a very few hundred watts on CW or RTTY. 20m loading coils got very hot at 200w RTTY on that band. All in all a compromise antenna that should be considered for limited space. The materials supplied are first class. I would buy another for portable or standby use. Would give it a 5 if it took more power CAS.