Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-2GAT Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2GAT
Icom IC-2GAT Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: 2 meter HT from late 1980s and early 1990s. 7 watts output. Also featured 4GAT 70cm, 12GAT 23cm, and 32at 2/70cm versions
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2GAT.

WD4CHP Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2014 13:20 Send this review to a friend
A good workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got a couple of these for $10 for the both.

I changed the memory cells in both as they were dead.

I use a Batteries America 8 cell IC-8 pack with AA alkaline cells.

They both out preforme HTs on the market today.

SM5SRR Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2011 00:30 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio brand new in Oakland, CA back in 1991. The big plus was the high power it could give which has come in handy on several occasions. Having done a mod on it, I now also use it on the hunting channels while hunting in Sweden. Overal a great reliable radio which keeps peforming great. A definite keeper!

KA6PUW Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2011 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Awsum  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great Emcom radio and also for packet. The 7+watts gives it the extra boost. Easy to use and you can rebuild the battery packs. Does anyone have any experience using the ICOM 10 AA battery pack on the 2GAT? which means 15v's with AA or 12v with 1.2v nicads. The manuals says up to 16vdc. I guess I could just put in one dummy 1.5v battery. Let me know as in Katrina they were passing out AA's. I have the 6 battery case for 9.6v.

W7KFO Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2011 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Bullet proof!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm the original owner of this rig and it continues to perform. I used it for many years on my sailboat on Puget Sound, the salt air never bothered it. All the original battery packs are long gone, now using a Batteries America IC-8 case with Powerwerx 2.7 amp-hour AA cells.

VK2BEN Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2011 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Will take this one to the grave  Time owned: more than 12 months
"If you're onto a good thing, stick to it" is a well-know catch cry of a famous Australian broadcast radio personality, and I tend to subscribe to it myself.

If anyone ever asks me about a long-term investment decision for a hand-held radio, the 2GAT (or, "The Gat", as it has come to be known) is my answer every time. That is, if you can ever get hold of one!

I bought mine second-hand in 1991 and it has been my base station, mobile, hand-portable, marine-mobile, and bicycle-mobile radio ever since.

It even chased DX with an amplifier and beam!

Nowadays it sits in a corner on APRS iGate duties and just doesn't give up. And if I ever need to stop a car rolling down the hill, I know what to use as a wheel-chock.

The Gat is a very simple radio. It has some memories and a call channel. The DTMF pad will give you access to the world via IRLP if you wished, so my question is, what more do you really want?

The feature set is not something I would brag about today; nor would it be back in the 1990's. That wasn't the point of this radio.
The main virtues of this radio are, in my estimation:
1) Ruggedness
2) Reliability
3) Simplicity (easy to learn and use)
4) Build quality

You might try taking this radio from my cold, dead hands. But I'm gonna Super-Glue it to my palm!

Ben
VK2BEN
SYDNEY

KO0KY Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2007 08:50 Send this review to a friend
I have two, and I love them  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two of these radios since the late 80's. One was an original purchase, and the other was won by a friend at a hamfest in Charlotte, NC. He didn't want it, being a computer person and not a ham, so I got it at half price!

I love every feature, especially since I have very large hands. I also have an IC-T81A, a more modern 'micro' rig, which is hard for me to use. That is a problem with every hand held made today however.

Believe it or not, I use the original battery packs, and they have not been rebuilt! They just seem to keep on going forever. As far as the comments above regarding not being able to use 12 volts directly, the battery pack has inputs for the wall charger and 13.8V direct, so you can use your car power defacto, if not directly. No diff as far as I'm concerned. That's how I ran mobile for years.

If you can get a good one off of eBay, go for it. I highly recommend it.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2007 15:05 Send this review to a friend
built like a brick!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works well. Only HT I can work my local repeater from home with. Very simple operation. Batteries hold up well, and for a long time. You CAN run directly on 13.8V. You need an adapter that slides on in place of battery.

VE8AA Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2006 18:49 Send this review to a friend
More  Time owned: more than 12 months
I almost forgot, I tested this unit with a Bird Watt meter, which was calibrated, and I received almost 8.5 Watts out of it. This was of course on High power, and with a 13.2 volt battery pack fully charged. The unit is large, but as I said in my last post, this was just as the simaller HTs were coming out, and they were MUCH more expensive. As a side note, W & W associates still carry battery packs for these radios, and will rebuild existing packs, if you can't source them locally.

VE8AA Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2006 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Rugged  Time owned: more than 12 months
A VERY sturdy rig that is simple to use for the novice, or anyone that likes the KISS principle.

No complaints since new in 1993. Excellent feature is rebuildable battery packs (mine are NiCad, and since I have NiCad fast charger, I stick with those rebuilds. I also have the 6 X AA case. The Rig is very easy to use for packet.

I can't fault it for anything it was designed to do. There were radios with more bells and whistles (this was when dual band 2M and 440 were becoming popular) but this is a GREAT radio for what it was designed for.

N4OKG Rating: 1/5 Apr 25, 2005 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Grossly over-deviated and nobody could fix it, not even Icom!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought an IC-2GAT new in the late 1980s, 1988 as I recall, and after numerous complaints about "wide audio" or harsh audio, I made several attempts at having it repaired, including sending it to Icom and having a local technician give it a go. The deviation was adjusted by means of the mic gain and was extremely sensitive. Adjustment would go from no output to a deviation of 8-10 at even a hit of pressure on the adjustment. I sent it to Icom and it came back with a "Problem could not be duplicated" note. I have a rather deep voice and they said that perhaps my voice was the problem! How am I supposed to fix that? I finally sold the unit at a hamfest with the buyer fully aware of the rig's background. He got it at a deeply discounted price and was apparently happy with it. Apparently I got a lemon since others seem to be OK. I present have an Icom IC-T2H that I'm quite pleased with.

Al Turner, N4OKG