Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Radio Shack HTX-242 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-242
Radio Shack HTX-242 Reviews: 62 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $249.99
Description: 10/45 Watt 2-Meter Mobile FM Amateur Transceiver
More info: http://www.radioshack.ca/en/templates/ProdTemp.asp?dept%5Fid=92

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-242.

N2VHZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2013 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Works ok, until........  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi all, N2VHZ here in Alliance, Nebraska. Well, I relocated here about a year age and realized there were not any repeaters in the area so I decided to use the HTX-242 as an Echolink node.
It actually worked flawlessly, actual "plug and play", through the WMR Nomic interface!
I normally keep it at low power, and was going to turn that down internally to 5 watts eventually. Well, I left it on high power one day, left home, forgot about it and had it on a busy Echolink node. (I did have a fan on it too!)It burned out the last 4-5 capacitors on the RF out path, but still worked. I am selling it on Ebay right now actually. I like the radio and probably will buy another but this time crank down the RF to 5 watts to drive an external amp. If I were to increase the power in this case, I would add an internal fan and vent the cabinet! I think they are a great deal for $50-$75.

KC9RXE Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2010 03:02 Send this review to a friend
Does what it does  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been running this rig in my car and it has worked flawlessly. However an Icom this isn't. The audio is a little low, I have an external speaker and that makes up the differnce, and the mic feels cheap. I almost am afraid that I am going to crush the mic every time I key up.
Now for the good. You dont get much simpler to use while you are driving. Once you set your repeater pl tones in the memory you can do everything you need from the remote control mic. I have gotten great audio reports from the local repeater users.
I short if you can find one of these guys for a good price get one you'll be happy with this almost idiot proof radio.

K1CJS Rating: 2/5 Jun 18, 2010 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Marginal--had problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked mine up at clearance as well. I had it for three months when half the mike keypad buttons stopped working. I opened the mike up and resoldered connections (through the board) and got the buttons to work again.

About six months after that, every backlight save one blew out. I replaced the bulbs, just to have them all go out once again a few weeks later. Now I've got LEDs lighting the panel, and no more problems--until something else lets go.

This rig is a standby unit now, I'm running an Icom V8000 in my mobile and an Icom dual band in my shack.

K8CPA Rating: 4/5 May 23, 2009 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio for what it is....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new, back when they came out.

Back lights in mine went out. But other than that. It works fine. Mic Cord is little brittle from age. But a little electrical tape fixed that.

It sits here on top of my tune and hooked to a little homebrew 2 meter antenna about 6 ft off the ground and it works fine.

Heck, I don't even use all of the 40 memory channels in the thing.

It's not a Yeasu, Icom or a Kenwood. But it works.

73 de K8CPA

-Chuck

KP2Z Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2009 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Used as a backup rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had good service from this rig. The limited coverage makes for good intermod performance. Paid $99.00 years ago as a R.S. close out item.

The only problem I have is the mike cable is falling apart. If anyone has a broken HTX-242 and has a in good condition mike with cable that they now have no use for I'd like to purchase it from you.

W4ARZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2009 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Works Just Fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK guys, don't be so picky. HTX-212 and 242 were a low to mid line product. Sure there are lots of other name brand rigs with more bells & whistles.
I have 5 of these. And I was smart enough from the get go to order a couple of spare mics, they were inexpensive anyway. Now over 10 years of use.. YEs 10 years, ALL of them work great...AND in ALL weather conditions. A couple need panel lamp replacements but come on.., how many light bulbs have you replaced at home over 10 yrs ? And the mics. I still have 2 new in box that I never had to use...yet. And yes they do work on Packet just fine if you know how to operate them . Many Hams expect 110% perfection for a WalMart price and it just doesnt happen as MAN cannot design a PERFECT beast. So lighten up guys. The HTX-212/242 is a basic mobile that can be used as a base with basic functions that DO work. If they are Soooooooooooo bad, then why the heck do they sell like hotcakes for OVER $100 on Ebay ? Hey, You want bells & whistles ? go spend $3-400 for an icom, yaesu or kenwood. You get what you pay for.

KB1PYC Rating: 4/5 Dec 15, 2008 22:26 Send this review to a friend
Good Mobile 2M  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally bought this radio 10 years ago before I went on my first deployment on the Navy. I hooked it up to a battery and listened to it for a few minutes and then boxed it up and sent it to my parent's house while I "studied" for my exam on the deployment. I never got my license and the radio stayed boxed up. I think I had paid about 400 dollars for it brand new with the extended warranty that I never used. This past February I finally got my license and installed this radio in my Jeep Liberty. I haven't had a problem with it yet, even after being boxed up all these years. I used it during this year's SET and I used it this past weekend during the ice storm. It doesn't have all the fancy features of some of the new radios and not as many channels as my VX-170 but it gets the job done.

KC7ZRU Rating: 3/5 Aug 26, 2007 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive - reasonable - not great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought 3 of these when they went on clearance at Shaque de Rathe. Gave $50 each. They'd all been returns and had something wrong with them. Manager was holding them back until clearance price was stupid low. Thankfully, a friend of mine was a manager at the store next town over, he pulled the inventory list and told me about them. Drove over, bought 'em knowing they didn't work. Never even left the store with 'em. Turned all 3 of 'em back in for warantee repair. Got 'em back aobut a month later in perfect condition.

All 3 have been in 24x7 use as APRS rigs. One mobile tracker, an I-gate and a digipeater. They've all been running about 7 years now. Just now have had one 'go wide' on me. Modulation was beyond allowable limits, even with lowered audio in from the KPC3+ - pulled that one out of service.

The I-gate radio just last night got VERY hot. HOt enough to give off that unmistakable burning PCB smell at 4:30 am. So, the I-gate is down.

3rd rig was pulled from the digipeater and replaced with a rock bound GE rig. It's now doing part time voice duty in the garage. Eh, it's OK.

All in all I'm happy. $50 was about right for these rigs in MNSHO. Shaque de Rathe is known for charging top dollar - their goal is to make money after all. Nothing they sell or have sold I've seen is worth full price. But, discounted, on clearance. Usable.

No, won't bother get'n these ol pigs fixed. There're enough other deals out there for affordable rigs.

K7NNG Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2007 16:33 Send this review to a friend
An excellent rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned at least 8 of these little babies. Not one has given me a bit of trouble. I had one hit by lightening and radio shack restored it for about 10 bucks. Overal it was nicely produced in the time frame it was put out(90s)
Of course like anything else, there are some bad apples in the crate..

KD7CJO Rating: 1/5 Apr 20, 2007 15:18 Send this review to a friend
cheap rig-not worth the time  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hey All,I bought this thing new(it was a demo unit) and found these things wrong:
panel lights: went out after a year in 24/7 service
temp.: dosen`t like tobe used in below freezing temps.(I live in wyoming, dn51)
heat sink: runs hot(no matter the power level)
mic: cheap, no back light
Trans.: hangs up sometimes and have to pull mic to disarm. Also stops transmitting mid sent. and yet the display still shows trans. icon as active
rx audio: Too weak for driving. Can`t hear it over car and wind noise

Overall, I`d have to say a poorly des. radio.(don`t like spin-offs anyway) Could have been done MUCH better in a lot of ways. Made the mars/cap mod.(have never had to use it though so far) The panel lights are very small and in hard to get to places to replace with LEDS.(I replaced just the dispaly units) Easy rig to run though. I only use it now as a backup to my icom v-8000. I would not recomend this rig. Save your $$ and get the real thing! It was my first(and definatly NOT last) 2 meter rig. 73 and good dx to all, de kd7cjo