Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Radio Shack 2-meter 5/8īs magmount antenna, Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack 2-meter 5/8īs magmount antenna,
Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $49.99
Description: This is a strong, well-made 2-meter 5/8īs magmount antenna, which is unfortunately no longer on the Radio Shack web site.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack 2-meter 5/8īs magmount antenna,.

W8JJI Rating: 1/5 Mar 31, 2004 07:59 Send this review to a friend
junk coax  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don't buy this antenna. I bought 2 of them and they did not perform as good as a simple quarter wave.

I decided to junk these 2 antennas and cut open the (stiff-cheap) coax to find that there was way less shielding than I would expect. Probably only 60% of coverage.

No wonder the quarter wave outperformed them.

The SWR was great however !

N4EJG Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2004 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Very reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to echo the previous reviewers. If you find one in the back of your Radio Shack store, grab it! I bought a spare at the closeout price of $14.97.

This antenna gives good performance on 2 meter FM. What I really like about it is the flat SWR I get across 6 meters. I have enjoyed many CW and SSB contacts all over the Eastern US during openings with my FT-817 ( 5 watts out).

It is easy to use, easy to set up and adjust and the price is right, if you can still find one.

Ed
N4EJG

KA3SEI Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2004 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Very reliable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
No problems at all with this antenna. Seems to work best centered on the roof so you get a good ground plane. Very economical choice for 2M if you can still find one.

KG4LHQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2004 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna Going On 3 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the antenna every day and have absolutely no problems with it... About the only thing Radio Shack made decent

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2003 08:41 Send this review to a friend
What a shame  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good. Reliable. Not bad looking either. Too bad Rat Shack seems to be getting out of everything that isn't cellphone related.

KC2IGY Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2003 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up one of these for $14.97 on closeout a few months ago, and it works quite well. Can't beat it for the price. No problems.

XE1UFO Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2003 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Also works on SIX!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for about seven years and used it on three vans, four cars and also in portable setups. The magnet is VERY strong. It has never fallen off -- even at 90+ miles an hour. (Gulp!)

When set up for 146.000 Mhz and located in the center of my vanīs roof, my MFJ259 Antenna Analyzer reads under 2.5 to one SWR from 46 to 58 Mhz. and from 136 to 152 Mhz. I assume that on 6 meters it is acting as a loaded quarter wave vertical.

On our very mountainous terrain, I usually have much better success getting into distant repeaters than with some other 5/8 waves that I have tried.

If you find one at a flea market, buy it!

Steve, XE1UFO