Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | COMET UHV - 4 Help

Reviews Summary for COMET UHV - 4
COMET  UHV - 4 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $119.00
Description: THIS IS A QUAD BAND ANT MADE FOR THE YEASU FT-8900 FOR 10 , 6 , 2 , 440
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com

You can write your own review of the COMET UHV - 4.

W7PVA Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2012 20:27 Send this review to a friend
UHV Replacement Parrts  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In July I took my FJ cruiser camping and fishing. I was excited to give my FT8900R with a Comet UHV4 a trial in the mountains of eastern Arizona. The radio and antenna exceeded my expectations. The bad thing about the trip was when checking out of the campground a flag wrapped around the antenna and ripped it off the mount. The foldover hinge broke off and the top loading coil also broke.

I purchased a Comet SBB15 to replace the UHV4 which I tthought was DOA. While doing my research I found that Comet had and sold replacement parts.

I emailed and then called the folks at Comet ordering the paarts on a Friday. The parts were shipped first thing Monday and arrived Wednesday. With the new parts the antenna is good as new...

The folks at Comet were very responsive to my inquires and helpful in completing the order. Comet is a company that cares about customer service. I am totally satisfied with the product, the quality and the company that backs their products..

N1RIK Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2012 14:52 Send this review to a friend
So far so good ! Very well rounded  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well this antenna seems to do well on 10m and 6m. It's as good on 10m as a commercial grade 29 MHz mobile antenna I had been using, and on 6m, it performs just as good as my 6m 1/4 wave did on top of my old car. 2m & 440 performance appears the same as my Larsen 2/70C. First impressions weren't good on my old car... bad SWR on 2m... however it apparently was the mount. Now that I have picked up a 2008 Accord EX Coupe, I put a Comet CP-5 mount on it with this antenna, and it's running nice & easy :) SWR on 2m covers the whole band... SWR down to 1.1:1 @ 29.55 MHz and 1.2:1 @ 52.6 MHz. Now only if I could cure some of my engine noise my Accord is putting out on 10m and some birdies on 2m :)

AI4HO Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2009 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Good----But??  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the Comet UHV-4 Quad band antenna for my Yaesu FT-8900 (see my e ham review on the 8900). I did have a little trouble getting the SWR down to the level that I wanted, working with a large 3 magnet mount was trying at times but I did prevail. Once I did get 6 & 10 meter tuned it really did work quite well. Too bad the sun spots didn't cooperate, but for our local 6,2, 70cm. repeaters it did just fine, nothing great, but fine.

This antenna doesn't seem to have the gain, like the Diamond's version of this antenna. Any way, I digress, I've talked with others who have owned this antenna, using it with the FT-8900, I get pretty much the same sentiments about this antenna. Nothing great, it works OK.

Well, here about 4 months ago a friend of mine has his FT-857D in his truck, wanted an antenna that would cover bands other than 2/440. Told him that I had this Comet 4 bander for sale as by this time I had purchased Diamond's HV-7A multi-band HF,VHF,UHF antenna,(see my e ham review on this antenna). I told my friend that this antenna was made for the FT-8900 and would not tolerate more than about 100 watts on 6 &10 meters and 50 on 2, which of course the 857 will only do 100 watts on 10/6 meters and 50 watts on 2 meters. Well within a month, my friend called said the antenna wasn't working right or the rig wasn't working right.

Long story short, had my friend come over, put my analyzer on it. found the SWR's to be well within their specified limits, except on 2 meters. What I first saw on my analyzer's read out so totally shocked me I couldn't believe my eyes! Had to double, triple check, each time I kept getting the same numbers. 5.3:1 SWR!! So tore everything apart, put it back same thing, put my current 2/440 antenna on my friends mount, SWR was back down to where its supposed to be. Put the comet on "my" mount, put my meter on it and the SWR was up at 5.3:1 WHAT THE F*&# is going on here.

Well seem like the 2 meter part of this antenna went belly up. No rhyme no reason, just decided to take a crap and die out. Needless to say I was mortified, I asked my friend if he wanted a refund, yea it had been a month, did I have to offer no, did I want to keep a friend, yes. He declined naturally, even if he had accepted I would have gladly refunded his money. But, be that as it may, be aware that this antenna does have flaws. Probably a very small percentage have problems, but if ever the antenna doesn't work just quite right, the first thing I would be checking would be the SWR on 2 meters, if its high, then there is a chance that the 2 meter portion is starting to go. There could be a lot of other reasons that the SWR is high, by no means am I trying to infer that ALL UHV-4's are bad on 2 meters. I'm just saying to do a complete check of your system, make sure its not some dumb mistake like we've all done. Unfortunately, mine was the exception.

73 de Mark
W3LZK

W6PSA Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2008 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for FT-8900  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a perfect match for the FT-8900. I have it installed on a comet universal lip mount, like the other review, and it works great!!!!

KI4RFD Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2007 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna works great on my application and performs well with my Icom 706mkiig in the mobile. I havent tried the antenna on 6 meter's but heard its awesome and it does well. Good Luck.

NM1R Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2005 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wrote a review of the Comet UHV-4 antenna in June of 2004. At that time I had been using the antenna on a Yaesu FT-8900 for a short time. In my review I mentioned an swr issue due to the fact that its mounting location was less than ideal.

Today I am updating my review. I have mounted the same antenna in an new location on the same Ford Ranger. It is now mounted on the hood using the Comet CP5M heavy duty universal mount. With some very minor tweaking I am now showing the swr to be a flat 1:1 across the FM portions of both 10 and 6 meters. Now I can't wait for some nice band opening to put it through its paces!

NM1R Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2004 00:12 Send this review to a friend
A must for the FT-8900 quad bander  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the UHV-4 for only a short time, but want to say that I am pleased with its performance. It is well constructed though I can see where low branches, car ports or garages could easily do damage because of its inflexability. Mine is mounted on a Iron Horse stake mount on the bed rail of a 2000 Ford Ranger pick-up which helps to give it a lower profile and a some protection. However, being in close proximity to the cab makes it impossible to tune to its rated swr of 1.5:1 or less. It is grounded to the body but 2.0:1 is about the best it will tune on 10 meters. On 6 meters it will tune to 1.7:1 which is a little better. I suspect that it would tune better if it were located on the hood or the roof. All-in-all, however, it works well and I am pleased to recommend it to any user of the FT-8900. It is pretuned at the factory on the 2 meter and 70 cm bands and not tunable by the user. On those bands the swr is almost flat and needs no improvement.

KC2JAR Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2004 00:53 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna had a little problem comet backed it up  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
About two months after getting the antenna the match shot up, i contacted comet the told me of a problem they experienced with the base and asked me to send it back it took only 3 days and i have a new base returned to me. Unlike Diamond whos antenna fell apart and they make excuses Comet stands behind their products and even paid for the return shipping. I have 9 comet antennas and they all work great!! Good job Comet