Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Hallicrafters SX110 Help

Reviews Summary for Hallicrafters SX110
Hallicrafters SX110 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 8-tube general coverage shortwave reciever, circa 1960-1963.

You can write your own review of the Hallicrafters SX110.

VE7UNH Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2012 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Dusting off the old reciever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just dusted off my Hallicrafters 110 with the matching 3.2 ohm speaker. It is in great working order and the sound is wonderfull. I am getting back into ham radio after a long rest from it.
This reciever is as good as the day it was made,(May 15 1962) and has given me years of use.

WB1AAL Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2012 17:29 Send this review to a friend
They Don't Make Them Like This Anymore  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am the original owner of this fine boat anchor. It was purchased on 9 September 1961 from Gem Electronics in Farmingdale, Long Island, New York --and with two of the original Hallicrafters tubes still in place, my trusty old Hallicrafters SX-110 communications receiver is happily working today. I have it connected to its original Hallicrafters R-47 3.3 ohm speaker.

I used the SX-110 for most of my time as a Novice. My parents bought it for me probably after a great deal of whining and cajoling on my part. It is a fairly basic receiver--single conversion--but it does have a crystal filter (hence the "X" in it's moniker.)

Five-two years old as of this writing, in not so nice storage for the better part of 30-years and the radio still works. Unbelievable!

The audio quality is rather decent without a hint of AC hum. It is probably overdue for a good alignment. Although it is rated to 125 VAC, I am running the radio on a Variac set at 110 volts AC because the AC voltages today in the U.S. Sre significantly higher than they were in 1961.

Even the XYL thinks that the radio sounds terrific! What else can you possibly expect from a communications receiver?

WD6GLA Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2010 23:33 Send this review to a friend
A nice old boatanchor  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok ... how can I give an old thing like this a 5 ? Compared to todays rigs its a dog , but its the nostalgia and the feeling you get from using these old rigs that sends the numbers up . I have one and its a 5 in my book . 50 years old and the damn thing still works . My dad bought it for me new when I was 15 and working on my Novice license many years ago . Actually its a good old radio as long as you dont expect too much performance above 15 meters , then it fizzles out and goes somewhat deaf ...but 40 and 80 meters and as a SWL radio or BCB listener its great . What a great sound ! Now I need a DX-40 and some crystals to complete my novice station and bring back some wonderful memories .

N7BDY
Bob

K8ALM Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2010 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Lots of fun...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hallicrafters SX110 was my first receiver as a novice in the late 60's. It tended to drift a bit but boy I had a lot of fun with it and my Heathkit one-watt-per-pound DX-100 transmitter!

KA2AYR Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2007 00:45 Send this review to a friend
The receiver I wish I had when I was a kid  Time owned: more than 12 months
An old friend gave me his father's old SX110 when he was cleaning house around 1989 or so. "Here, you'll know what to do with this." I was honored. It powered up and received just fine. Probably the last time I used it a lot was during the Gulf War.

It was intermittently used over the years and during that time we moved to the Midwest. I was about to give it to my boys as an SWL receiver when I noticed the power was intermittent. Lucky me, I spotted the fraying in the cord before I put the receiver back into service. I replaced that with a three-pronged cord with the ground pin going to the chassis. Then the dial string on the main tuning dial broke. Fortunately, I found Ian Johnston's SX-110 page (http://www.obairlann.net/reaper/ham/sx-110/) and was able to restring the dial according to directions on Ian's website. It did take a special trip to the arts and crafts store for some hemp necklace cord. It was thicker than the original, but was closer than nothing and works fine.

I took the opportunity to polish it all up (and, with Ian's words, did not scrub off the decal work on the dial), and it's back together now. I was receiving holiday music on several shortwave stations with just a spool of wire for an antenna. The boys will have it in the morning and maybe we can pull in some DX, or just listen to some music from around the world... without having to use a computer.

KB0XR Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2007 05:20 Send this review to a friend
A Great Receiver for its Time  Time owned: more than 12 months
My folks bought me one of these to replace my Hallicrafters S39DB(which I still have) in 1960. I used it daily for the next 10 years. I made bandspread charts on graph paper for most of the SW bands. Once it warmed up, it was pretty stable. I tried leaving it on all the time but my "thrifty" mother found out about that and hit the roof since it was running up the electric bill. Mine suffered a fall from the workbench in my garage in 1984 and that sealed its fate.

I bought another one in 1991 but the thrill was gone for me. Too big, too few features. Sold it.

N6NKN Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2007 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Good In Its Time, Still Good Today  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bear in mind this receiver was built in the years of 1959 to 1961. So, for a radio built nearly 50 years ago, it has stood the test of time. I have two of these beauties and I love the fact that it is a "mans" sized radio. No tiny controls or small print on this baby. And it performs pretty well for its age. Shortwave stations are quite strong , using a good antenna. And listening to the ham bands is "vintage". I use it up on the high end of 40 meters to listen to the AM crowd.

Sure there are better receivers out there, but when was the last time you bought an American made, shortwave radio built in Chicago, Illinois?

I enjoy listening to a radio nearly as old as I am. I brings back memories of a time when America was tops in radio equipment, and Hallicrafters was right in the thick of it.

N9CYS Rating: 3/5 May 17, 2007 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Casual SWL rcvr  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one as a novice in the early 70's. An average SWL receiver that featured a BFO for CW. (SSB copy was tough!) I remember that the only two features that made it usable for me were the NB and the antenna trim. A decent SWL rcvr, but lacked sufficient sensivity and selectivity to use comfortably for all day QSO sessions.

I replaced it with a Hammurlund HQ-180A that was a dream to operate all day and night. I still use the 180 and the matching full size speaker. Can you say hi-performance and hi-fidelity?!

KD5VSV Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2007 16:58 Send this review to a friend
A pleasure to operate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Lucky enough to find a great condition SX-110 locally and have enjoyed using it over the last 3 months.

A great old radio that I use in the bedroom at night while winding down after a long day.

Hallicrafters seem to be growing on me :)

XE1UFO Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2003 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Wonderfull!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine when I was 15 years old and had a blast with it for three years. The reciever had an amazing sensitivity. I have SWL QSL cards from over 60 coutries. I sold it in 1974 for $300 here in Mexico -- and had several guys fighting over it -- to pay for my first month of Bible college. If I could find another one, I would buy it!