Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q-Antennas-5 (dash 5) Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Q-Antennas-5 (dash 5)
Hi-Q-Antennas-5 (dash 5) Reviews: 32 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Varies - See website
Description: The Hi-Q-5/80 Giant HF Mobile antenna
More info: http://www.hiqantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q-Antennas-5 (dash 5).

KE7ZLA Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2012 15:43 Send this review to a friend
Nothing but good reports on the HI-Q 5/160 mobile.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the HI-Q 5/160 for over a year now and nothing but excellent signal reports even with poor propagation while being mobile. On the Mars bands the same excellent results.

KA0SAB Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2011 09:11 Send this review to a friend
review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 5/80RT now since about 2004 and have had it on 4 pickup trucks with over 100,000 miles each, and a peterbilt truck with 375,000 miles!
I know it says to keep clean, but I only cleaned it once a month, with a power wash wand and Have not had 1 problem with this ant except for 1? I hit a pheasant and broke 1 of the lobes off the cap hat, left me 3 lobes, and took it off and still,
I get consisted reports of wow that is a mobile rig or how much power are you running and that's Harold KA0SAB, we can always hear him!
My rig is a Icom 7000 and Charlies 5/80, that's it!
You can usually hear me on 3.96250 at 9pm central

Thanks Charlie for close to 800,00 miles of fun!!

W1JCW Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2011 18:45 Send this review to a friend
6/160 & 5/160  Time owned: more than 12 months
The best antenna I have owned over the 33yrs of being a ham and running mobile !

The more important factor is the man behind the antenna, Charlie is always willing to help out and speak with you about any questions, issues or concerns you have. He will make suggestions based upon his experience and knowledge of this rock solid, incredible performing antenna.

This is my 2nd Hi Q antenna, the first was the 5/160 now the new 6/160 ! I run several different configurations of cap hats, whips and combinations there of.

I keep a excel spread sheet of my turn counts and pF on the feed point for the lower bands. It's always right on and I can work anyone I can hear on the band. I get compliments on the signal strength and quality often.

You get what you pay for with a Hi Q in many aspects. I wont own anything but a Hi Q.

Thanks for building a far superior product Charlie.

73-
W1JCW
John

VE7SNC Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2010 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Charlie is the best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my baby the 5" coil from HI-Q for about 2 years now and what an awesome piece of equipment. I have worked over 150 countries from the mobile along with a 500 watt amplifier. I use this antenna in the most extreme conditions you could imagine, -40 degree weather(its the same in C or F for those of you that don't know). horribly rough roads etc. I drive up to 700 kms in a day but average around 3 to 400 kms. Well to say the least I absolutely abuse my antennas. I also have the 4" coil which is an awesome backup. I recently had a problem with my 5" which was all my fault and I sent it away to Charlie and he repared it the same day it arrived and sent it out the next day. I can't say enough good about the quaulity and service at HI-Q. I have tried pretty much all the mobile antennas out there and NONE come close to the HI-Q NONE... PERIOD. When you compare apples to apples spend the money and buy the HI-Q or you will be comparing apples to lemons.. NUFF SAID I wasted alot of money in the last 5 years on junk antennas and if they physically change size they are probably gonna fail like most screwdrivers. Please let me save you alot of money and don't buy the products that have no custumer service, like the high sierra people. I bought their top of the line and sold it on ebay for less than half of what I paid for it, 2 months later, never worked and could get no help from them. VE7SNC

NL7TZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2010 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Superb service on a 5/80  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I installed the 5/80 about 10 months ago for a trip up the Alcan to Alaska and ran it here all summer, in the fall I took it off for the winter months, I am getting ready for a trip down the Alcan to the lower 48 states so I built a new mount on the front of the truck so I could put a slide in camper on the back. I put the 5/80 on the new mount and found out the motor would not work. I pulled the motor out and it was locked up, I emailed Charlie on Sunday and told him I was leaving on Thursday and I was in need of a motor, he emailed me right back and said he would get one out on Monday, he expressed one to me today at no charge. This guy is supper to work with and has a pretty good antenna too.
Thanks Charlie,

N6VQL Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2009 00:14 Send this review to a friend
I won't go mobile without my HI-Q!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
recently purchased a HI Q 5/80 RT, package “B” directly from Charlie at Hi Q. The photos on Charlie’s web site are great, but one cannot appreciate the quality and workmanship that goes into this e well constructed precision instrument, until you see it and put it in your hands. Once you put it through it’s paces on the air, you will know you have the best HF mobile antenna on the market.

I use an Icom IC-7000, with the Better RF 7000 Tune Control and the Better RF 7000 Screwdriver Control. Hi Q does not support third party controllers. However, if you follow HI Q’s online manual, and the recommendations from Alan, K0BG’s web site, you will have little problems making this package work. The signal reports I receive from this antenna are fantastic!

Prior to purchasing the HI Q, I owned a “stubby” screwdriver antenna manufactured by another company. I used the same combination as described above. I spent two months trying to get this to work and never really achieved satisfactory results. In fact, I had more success with my old Yaesu FT-100 and the Atas 100, than with the “ stubby” screwdriver antenna.

I use the HI Q 5/80 antenna, cap hat with a 1’ extension, and or a 5’ whip or the 8’ whip. In addition, I use a shunt coil to match the antenna. I prefer using the 5’ whip with the cap hat. This combination seems to give me great performance.

Finally, I cannot say enough about this wonderful antenna and the support I have received from Charlie at HI Q. I highly recommend the HI Q 5/80 to anybody who is seriously interested in HF mobile.

73’s
Felix
N6VQL

W4GRJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2008 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Amazing !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Here is another glowing report for Charlie's HI-Q
I have the Hi-Q-5/160 RT, using it fixed at my QTH. Comparing it with my other 'expensive' B&W all band antenna and another brand vertical...just no comparison. The HI-Q is at least 3 S-Units better on receive and transmit. I have it mounted in a 4' mast attached to a chain link fence. Since I am directly on salt water here in Florida, the ground is excellent. In fact, I have decided not to even install the control wires for the antenna coil. SWR is 1.2 to 1.5 to 1 from 160 to 10 meters without any adjustment to the antenna coil. I am using a tuner at the radio. Again the receive and transmit performance is truly amazing when compared with my other antennas. One other point, when I called Charlie and explained what I was trying to do, he was very helpful in explaining the many options in selecting the right antenna. After a few days of phone calls and emails we decided on the 5/160 RT. After receiving the antenna Charlie was helpful & patient helping with the install. Get a HI-Q and you will never look at another vertical.

KC1HD Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2008 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Incredible Signal!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I’ve been operating mobile HF for many years. I’ve amassed a variety of antennas that include a Texas Bugcatcher, an Outbacker Perth, an ATAS 120a, a Little Tarheel II, and finally a Hi-Q 5/80. The Hi-Q, is by far, the BEST mobile antenna I’ve ever used.

The antenna that I am using is the Hi-Q 5/80 with a 1 foot extension rod, the EB-8 capacitance hat, and a 32” whip. (I decided to use the whip from the Little Tarheel II). I use the Hi-Q GQD and WQD to stow the antenna or to allow me into covered parking. I also used the motor cable from the Little Tarheel II as well; they might as well be good for something :)

I control the antenna via the Turbo Tuner and it performs flawlessly. I chose to wind my own shunt coil, for low band operation.

I have my antenna installed on a Toyota FJ-Cruiser, just like the silver and white one shown on Charlie’s website under the SUV Installation section. The one shown in the photos used the Bandi mount but that mount really wasn’t made for this type of antenna so I contacted the person who originally designed the Bandi mount and asked him if he wouldn’t mind making me a custom mount and he agreed to do so. My custom mount was made out of ¼ inch stainless steel and has a surface area of over 1 ½ inches. The mount installs on the door hinge as shown in the photos. It is a large antenna and depending on where you mount it, you may need to provide support. My mounting location required me to anchor the antenna so I used a ¼ inch thick piece of plexiglass and a cannibalized Diamond K-400 mount. The plexiglass has a 1 ½ inch hole, which surrounds the mast of the antenna. The other end of the plexiglass attaches to the Diamond K-400 mount with a stainless steel bolt and wing nut. With the heavy wind loading, the antenna stays put.

Now on to the performance… you all know the band conditions have not been all that great lately. I’m writing this as I sit in a hotel room in Montréal just wanting to share the reports I received during my 6 hour trip from Boston. Today, I worked stations on 20 meters from the Southwest, to the Northwest, to the Midwest, to the Southeast, as well as stations in the UK, Europe, and remote DX islands. They all gave me 57 to 59+ reports. I have a performance issue with my Yaesu FT-857D in that it only puts out 20 watts on 20 meters and 10 watts on all the other HF bands. When they heard I was only transmitting 20 watts they couldn’t believe the signal strength. I can only thank Charlie for that!!!

I used to have issues being heard on the lower bands, 40 and 80 meters. With the other antennas people could never hear me but with the Hi-Q, even at 10 watts, folks can hear me. Imagine the reports I will get when I get my radio fixed and capable of transmitting 100 watts.

The support from Charlie is great!! When I was thinking about purchasing his antenna I called him a few times with various questions. He always answered. He was very patient and pleasant and you could tell he takes pride in his company and product. Shipping was extremely fast and very well packed.

I really can’t say enough good things about the antenna. Hearing is believing. You’ll enjoy yours too!!

KF6IKC Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2008 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Not just for mobile!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 5/80RT not for mobile use but as a "stealth" antenna for my home. I live in a condo so I can not put up a tower or large antenna system. I wanted something I could easily change bands with and that could handle 500-600 watts.
After many emails and a few phone calls to Charlie I decided on the 5/80RT....and boy am I happy with it!
I have it mounted on the top rail of a 4' chainlink fence in my back yard. Using the the top rail as the counterpoise. I bound the top sections of the top rail with braided ground strap and have a total of 90+ feet.
Some people have told me that the way I have it set up wont work. That is after they have given me a 5-9+ report! All I know is that I am back on the air after 3 years of no talking and having a blast.
Build quality is the best I have seen. Performance is awesome for a what I am using it for.
I have 4' of cap hat mast and the big cap hat plus added two 6' telescoping wips to the cap hat. I could not get a good match on 40 and 80 as the feedpoint was 32 ohms. So I am using a small shunt coil at the base of the antenna for 40 and 80. I get a 1.1 with a 52 ohm input on 80 and a 1.0 @ 52 ohms on all other bands.
I am also using the KO6YD SAM controller to move bands with.
Hope this helps anyone who may be in the same spot I am in and needs a small antenna to get on the air with.

73 Stan

PA3FAW Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2007 12:57 Send this review to a friend
far out the best there is  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had 7 different HF mobile antennas through the past 25 years but the HiQ 5/80 I own now is far out the best mobile antenna I ever had. Chapeau Charlie !

PA3VOS (ex PA3FAW)