Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q-Antennas-5 (dash 5) Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Q-Antennas-5 (dash 5)
Hi-Q-Antennas-5 (dash 5) Reviews: 33 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Varies - See website
Description: The Hi-Q-5/80 Giant HF Mobile antenna
More info: http://www.hiqantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q-Antennas-5 (dash 5).

PA3FAW Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2007 12:57 Send this review to a friend
far out the best there is  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had 7 different HF mobile antennas through the past 25 years but the HiQ 5/80 I own now is far out the best mobile antenna I ever had. Chapeau Charlie !

PA3VOS (ex PA3FAW)

K0BG Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2007 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Top Drawer Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you own one of these antennas, and drive it with an Icom IC-7000, you need a Better RF Screwdriver antenna controller. Although it say "screwdriver" in its name, it perfectly mates with the HiQ series.

I've owned my 580RTM for nearly three years. I have no regrets whatsoever. About the only way you'll ever beat it, is to run a full quarter wave antenna. Sort of hard to do on 80 meters!

K6HPX Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2007 09:04 Send this review to a friend
THE GOLD STANDARD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have been using a pre-production HI-5/EX. This item joins my rather short list of amateur radio products that set the Gold Standard for their category. Like the rest of the HI-Q line, workmanship and performance is top-notch. This is a serious antenna for serious mobileers.

N1DL Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2007 15:55 Send this review to a friend
incredible performance and quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
after having owned a HI-Q 3-80 for 2 years I bought two 5-160 antennas from Charlie to experiment with NVIS in a V configuration on a tripod. They worked very well for this purpose. Now I am using one on the roof mounted to an airconditioner and another one on the back of my Hummer. Both antennas work exceptionally well. During the recent contest I worked DX on 80 and 160m and stations could not believe I was using a mobile antenna. DX on 20 and 40 m is no problem.
If you keep the antenna clean with Rain-EX you will have a super antenna both mobile and fixed that can take a KW without problem.

www.n1dl.com 73 Karl

AL7QQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2007 00:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought and installed a Hi-Q 5/160 on my Pick-up and have thouroughly grounded it as directed and ensured all bonding I could possibly was done. I've had great success working 40m, 75m and 160m mobile all over the US with better than average reports while mobile. After the antenna hit and killed an owl while mobile, I sent the antenna back to the shop for some repairs and they returned it in a very timely fashion with upgradesto stronger materials at no extra costs incurred to me. The workmanship of this antenna is superior to any other mobile antennas I've ever owned. I couldn't be happier with a different antenna. I plan on buying the Hi-Q 4-160 for my YL's van next. The antenna does require checking the bolts on a regular basis to ensure they aren't loose due to road vibration and the coil housing has to be kept exceptionally clean to avoid problems. The only problem I've experienced is that the cap hat wires snap in extreme cold weather while running down the road. Other than that this is an exceptional antenna and highly recommend it to anyone that does serious mobile operations.

KC2G Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2006 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Can't Touch This  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used a 5/80RT for more than two years now and enjoyed it thoroughly. Before that I used a spider-type dummy load (actually, for what it was it wasn't horrible) and of course the difference is night and day.

Charlie's products are great. I continually surprise people if I don't sign /m when they find I'm in motion.

Keep it clean, do what you're supposed to do and enjoy! It just keeps getting better.

Art

Oh...and go to www.kg4nbl.com for some great information, pictures, and encouragement in your mobile quest.

K6RQR Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2006 23:09 Send this review to a friend
Superb mobile antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used two of Charlie's antennas before the 5/160RT. The last one was the 3" Short model which worked great. When I finally decided that it would be necessary to drill a hole or two in my car to create a proper mount I decided to buy the 5" model with 160 meter capability. I really enjoy operating Top Band mobile.
The antenna arrived well packed in the usual heavy duty shipping tube and I had it hooked up to my existing homebrew mag mount (16" square) in short order. I concentrated on the lower bands and found that the antenna tunes very smoothly making the lowest SWR adjustment easy indeed. I checked in with a group in Utah on 160 and received an S9 report. Next came contacts on 40 and 75 to the other parts of the U.S. and some DX into Europe on 20 meters. It is very pleasing to hear that "you have a really good signal for a mobile".
As to the build quality it is very impressive. The coil is sealed and with minimal care and cleaning I expect this antenna to last a long, long time. Also, I have already seen how Charlie stands beind his antennas. Its true that these antennas cost more than other models but they are in a class by themselves. Highly recommended!

K0BG Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2006 06:57 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The HiQ series of antennas are ruggedly built, perform as advertised, and of a unique design. Unlike other brands of remotely tuned antennas (aka screwdrivers), the HiQ is sealed from the ravages of the environment, and it doesn't change length as the frequency is adjusted. Are there drawbacks? Yes.

First, they cost more. But weighed against their superior features, the extra cost is easily justified.

You have to keep the unit clean. This isn't a problem if you follow the HiQ's suggestion about using Rain-X.

Operationally, the only problem is inherent in the basic design. When the coil is positioned at it highest frequency, there is still some active coil left in the circuit. If you use an 8 foot whip as I do (to maximize performance), you can just use 17 meters. To use 15, 12, or 10 meters, you either have to install a shorter whip, or tune to a harmonic which isn't easy.

Lastly, they are heavy and proper mounting is a necessity.

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2006 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my HiQ 5/80 up and running with a TS480HX 200 watt mobile. I'm getting compliments left & right with this combo. Busting pileups mobile & hearing "you're Mobile?" has me sold. Thanks Charlie & good job. 73, Todd - KT0DD

W4TOO Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2005 10:41 Send this review to a friend
The best HF Moble antenna I've seen.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
HiHi w4too Ray.This is the best moble antenna I have ever purchased,outstanding reports from all over the world.easy to use,and install.Charlie was very helpful and supports his product in anyway he can.I am a disabled Iraq war vetran,and without my knowing Charlie even gave me a discount and paid the shipping to my door.just for my service in Iraq.(This was not a handout,he is a proud American and supports the troops anyway he can.)Thanks Charlie and HI-Q antennas.for making my life easier and enjoy the hobby of Ham Radio.