Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-989C Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-989C
MFJ-989C Reviews: 147 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $360
Description: Handles 1500 watts PEP SSB output power

You can write your own review of the MFJ-989C.

KJ4WS Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2012 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I honestly believe that the folks who are writing bad reviews for this product. Have NO IDEA as to how to install a proper antenna or how to Properly use the Tuner. I bought my Tuner in 1993. Except for One blown 1N34A Diode in the Meter Circuit I have had NO Problems. My guess is that the Keying of 1300 Watts into a Bad Mismatch is the reason for the Blown Diode. If you have a problem with this tuner.... Why not read the WELL WRITTEN Manual and solve your Antenna/Feed Line problem and then enjoy Ham Radio with no problems.
WU2M Rating: 0/5 Dec 10, 2012 09:53 Send this review to a friend
I should have known better!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Like a lot of other reviwes state, this thing is a piece of garbage! I purchased this new and it feels very cheap. Don't even think of trying to run an amplifier with this as it will arc every time. At about 500 watts it arcs and trips the fault protection on my amp.
I cut my losses and purchased a better tuner and never looked back. You get what you pay for and the way this thing performs it should cost about $24.95. My advise to anyone thinking of buying this tuner would be to move on. There are better options out there!
KJ4WS Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2012 04:14 Send this review to a friend
10 years no problems yet!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Brought mine 10 years ago or more. We were on a trip to Atlanta and that night at the motel I used 50 feet of coax and a clip lead to match a Guard Rail to a 1:1 reading. Talked all over the States that night on several bands. Now running a Flat Top 63 feet each leg fed with Ladder Line and the tuner will work on all bands 160 - 10 Meters. Used as Random Wire on 160. I have used this tuner with a Dentron Mla-2500, SB-220, Henry 2K, and currently a SB-200. My only problem is that after over 10 years of use and being on 24/7 that Darned Cheap light bulb in the meter went out. It was a 14 volt bulb. I am in the process of doing an LED Conversion. Upon opening this tuner for the first time there were no Arc Scars on the Caps nor the Roller Inductor. Always tune at Low Power and then Pour on the juice...... No problems here except those Cheap Bulbs that only last about 10 years or so.
N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2011 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Nice tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't know if I trust the peak-reading feature. It might be fine, but it just looks way-high to my eyeball. Outside of that, I have used this little tuner for over a year with no problems, even at full legal input.
KB4JKL Rating: 2/5 Jul 17, 2011 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Not good at all  Time owned: more than 12 months
To be fair, I have the 989B which is the earlier model. Its identical to this model with the exception of the PEP meter reading. Where do I begin, well I gave it a 2 only because of MFJ's support in dealing with the issues at hand. They never charged me for parts or repair! The tuner started out with a heavier roller inductor and one day while trying to go after a DX station on 20 meters, I turned the Roller Inductor and it turned so easy. It was easy because the shaft broke at the bearing point inside the tuner. This happened 3 more times until MFJ brought out the Air Wound Inductor. They sent me this and I had to retro-fit it into this tuner. Once I got this in, I thought my problems were over until I got an amplifier, an Ameritron 811H to be exact. When I tried to use the tuner with the amp, it started arcing internally and I could not stop it as long as I was in transmit. Please bear in mind, this is an 800 watt amplifier and this tuner is rated at 3KW. Is there something wrong with this picture? I sent the tuner back to MFJ and they said there was nothing wrong with it. It still continued to arc and it looked like an electrical storm coming from inside the tuner. From this point on, I was very reluctant to operate my amplifier with this tuner. I finally broke down and got a Palstar AT2K. Bottom line, to be fair, the MFJ tapped inductor tuners for 300 watts work OK. I have used them. I would stay away from any of their roller inductor tuners. That's just one man's humble opinion. As they say, you get what you pay for!
G0MMI Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2011 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Still going great that I bought another one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since my last review there has been no changes with the 989C. No flash overs, nothing falling to bits or smoke coming out of it. Another 989C came up cheap and I bought that as well. Much older and the only problem was the bulb went qrt. Instead of whinging about it I went to town and bought another bulb. Works %100 on my spare IC-765 and 400 watt amp.
W4JLE Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2011 23:26 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used mine for over 10 years to tune a G5RV on both MARS and Amateur frequencies. I run an Icom 746 Pro to a Henry 2KD and the only thing I have done in 10 years is to lubricate the bearings of the inductor and caps.
Most people that write negative reviews have no clue how to use the equipment and are sure it is the equipment rather than their own ignorance.
KA9GIX Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2011 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Retired my 989C today  Time owned: more than 12 months
I retired my MFJ 989C tuner today. The tuner works fine, no arcing, sparking, or smoke, I just decided to make my own servo controlled tuner to load up the tower using a folded unipole configuration. Anyhoo my tuner has worked like a champ for several years without any problems. To date I have been a ham for 30 years, and in Broadcasting for 20. The tuner is about 10 years old and has worked flawlessly, the only thing I have replaced is the belt for the turns counter. In short I got more than my moneys worth out of the tuner, it has been dependable all this time.
KA4ETV Rating: 0/5 Feb 26, 2011 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Absolute piece of crap  Time owned: more than 12 months
This piece of crap went down the first week I had it. Of course HRO was of no help. Sent it back to the factory at my expense. Came back without being fixed.

So overall just save your money and the frustration. MFJ products are crap. Plain and simple.
K2JX Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2011 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Never Arc'ed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ran a KW thru my '989C many times without a problem. After several years of use the roller became stiff and developed a squeak. I pulled the cover and found copper filings below the roller.

I applied a liberal amount of Caig DeOxit 5 to the roller and the pick-up spring and exercised the roller from top to end of the travel. Then I wiped off the excess DeOxit with a clean rag.

The roller at this point was clean and easy to turn. Then I applied a Caig Preserve it 5 to the roller assembly. In addition I lubricated the end bushings with light oil. Big difference in tuning and adjustment much better than new.

I gave the same "treament" to both the input and output capacitors which were also a bit tight due to lack of lubrication. Oh, and don't forget to spray clean and protect the band switch. Don't use cheap electronic spray cleaners, use Caig available from Antique Radio Supply online. Yes it's pricey but worth every penny. It really works as advertised.

For the money my 989C has worked great, no it's not a Pal Star I knew that when I bought it. It was price point decision in my case. If you follow my lead cleaning and lubricating your 989C or any tuner you'll see how smooth it can be.

73 de K2JX