Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-989C Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-989C
MFJ-989C Reviews: 143 Average rating: 2.5/5 MSRP: $360
Description: Handles 1500 watts PEP SSB output power
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-989C

You can write your own review of the MFJ-989C.

KB4JKL Rating: 2/5 Jul 17, 2011 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Not good at all  Time owned: more than 12 months
To be fair, I have the 989B which is the earlier model. Its identical to this model with the exception of the PEP meter reading. Where do I begin, well I gave it a 2 only because of MFJ's support in dealing with the issues at hand. They never charged me for parts or repair! The tuner started out with a heavier roller inductor and one day while trying to go after a DX station on 20 meters, I turned the Roller Inductor and it turned so easy. It was easy because the shaft broke at the bearing point inside the tuner. This happened 3 more times until MFJ brought out the Air Wound Inductor. They sent me this and I had to retro-fit it into this tuner. Once I got this in, I thought my problems were over until I got an amplifier, an Ameritron 811H to be exact. When I tried to use the tuner with the amp, it started arcing internally and I could not stop it as long as I was in transmit. Please bear in mind, this is an 800 watt amplifier and this tuner is rated at 3KW. Is there something wrong with this picture? I sent the tuner back to MFJ and they said there was nothing wrong with it. It still continued to arc and it looked like an electrical storm coming from inside the tuner. From this point on, I was very reluctant to operate my amplifier with this tuner. I finally broke down and got a Palstar AT2K. Bottom line, to be fair, the MFJ tapped inductor tuners for 300 watts work OK. I have used them. I would stay away from any of their roller inductor tuners. That's just one man's humble opinion. As they say, you get what you pay for!

G0MMI Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2011 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Still going great that I bought another one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since my last review there has been no changes with the 989C. No flash overs, nothing falling to bits or smoke coming out of it. Another 989C came up cheap and I bought that as well. Much older and the only problem was the bulb went qrt. Instead of whinging about it I went to town and bought another bulb. Works %100 on my spare IC-765 and 400 watt amp.

W4JLE Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2011 23:26 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used mine for over 10 years to tune a G5RV on both MARS and Amateur frequencies. I run an Icom 746 Pro to a Henry 2KD and the only thing I have done in 10 years is to lubricate the bearings of the inductor and caps.
Most people that write negative reviews have no clue how to use the equipment and are sure it is the equipment rather than their own ignorance.

KA9GIX Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2011 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Retired my 989C today  Time owned: more than 12 months
I retired my MFJ 989C tuner today. The tuner works fine, no arcing, sparking, or smoke, I just decided to make my own servo controlled tuner to load up the tower using a folded unipole configuration. Anyhoo my tuner has worked like a champ for several years without any problems. To date I have been a ham for 30 years, and in Broadcasting for 20. The tuner is about 10 years old and has worked flawlessly, the only thing I have replaced is the belt for the turns counter. In short I got more than my moneys worth out of the tuner, it has been dependable all this time.

KA4ETV Rating: 0/5 Feb 26, 2011 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Absolute piece of crap  Time owned: more than 12 months
This piece of crap went down the first week I had it. Of course HRO was of no help. Sent it back to the factory at my expense. Came back without being fixed.

So overall just save your money and the frustration. MFJ products are crap. Plain and simple.

K2JX Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2011 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Never Arc'ed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ran a KW thru my '989C many times without a problem. After several years of use the roller became stiff and developed a squeak. I pulled the cover and found copper filings below the roller.

I applied a liberal amount of Caig DeOxit 5 to the roller and the pick-up spring and exercised the roller from top to end of the travel. Then I wiped off the excess DeOxit with a clean rag.

The roller at this point was clean and easy to turn. Then I applied a Caig Preserve it 5 to the roller assembly. In addition I lubricated the end bushings with light oil. Big difference in tuning and adjustment much better than new.

I gave the same "treament" to both the input and output capacitors which were also a bit tight due to lack of lubrication. Oh, and don't forget to spray clean and protect the band switch. Don't use cheap electronic spray cleaners, use Caig available from Antique Radio Supply online. Yes it's pricey but worth every penny. It really works as advertised.

For the money my 989C has worked great, no it's not a Pal Star I knew that when I bought it. It was price point decision in my case. If you follow my lead cleaning and lubricating your 989C or any tuner you'll see how smooth it can be.

73 de K2JX

KI6KJS Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2011 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I get tired of people knocking good compinies and good equipment. My MFJ-989c is and exclent tuner. It has had some minor problems such as a bound up capacitor that a little alcohol and light oil fixed. My dial belt broke and that was no problem to replace. Remove the front knob, remove the wire to the capacator and four screws that hold the coil in place and install new O-ring belt. Both the top and bottom covers must be removed to do the belt replacement. MFJ is a good company providing a good service for us hams and I for one appreciate them. 73

WB2IVU Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2010 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
My only issue is the belt that runs the counter has failed. A quick look inside, seemingly indicated one would need to disassemble the front panel to replace this drive belt. Is there an easier way, I am not seeing?? If so, your help would be very welcome. Please Email me at: cmerlau at cox dot net

K0WJ Rating: 2/5 Aug 27, 2010 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this tuner new in Dayton and as long as I ran 100 watts to it, it worked just fine. Enter the SB-220 amplifier. Originally the tuner was advertised as able to handle 3000 watts INPUT. Now anyone reading that has to think, "3000 watts, hmmm...pretty beefy." Right? MFJ actually meant 3000 watts of input power for your final amplifier which, at the common 50% efficiency rating, yielded about 1500 watts output. Now that's downright underhanded advertising. But...come to find out, the tuner won't even handle 1000 watts. The stupid spring in the wheel on the roller inductor heats up, loses the ability to tension the wheel against the inductor and the tuner fails. I did go to the hardware store and bought a beefier spring which fixed the tensioning problem, but as you might guess, it's a little hard to turn the knob now.

Hey MFJ, you could probably sell a lot of these to the new Ham community by advertising its ability to handle 1500 watts as long as you don't include the duty cycle of 1%. Oh wait.....you're already doing that.....never mind.

Do yourself a favor, if you're serious about an antenna tuner, buy a PalStar.

G0MMI Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2010 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the 989c tuner new in 2009 and its been trouble free. Only once did it flash over and that's because I tuned it incorrectly on 160m using 400 watts. I run 400watts from a Ameritron AL-811H into a cushcraft MA-160 vertical, MA-40/80 vertical and sometimes with the 6 band quad. Not a hint of a problem! If you abuse this atu it will bite back!
If MFJ produces crap like some hams say on here then I would have thought they would have gone out of busness by now.