Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | N9JMX Predator Help

Reviews Summary for N9JMX Predator
N9JMX Predator Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $400,500,&650
Description: 3 Inch Screwdriver type mobile antenna
More info: http://kj9t.150m.com/N9JMXs_Predator_1/index.html

You can write your own review of the N9JMX Predator.

VA3AGX Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2013 09:06 Send this review to a friend
BEST SCREW DRIVER ANTENNA YOU WILL EVER HAVE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a Predator mounted on a Lincoln Towncar and on my Toyota Venza,and have had great results on both cars, i have 3 different Predator models, and besides the options they all have the same performance. If you want DX mobile and don't mind the size, this mobile antenna is for you. i also run it with the Ameritron ALS-500 and it sure helps out when in low area's. tuning is excellent once you get the hang of it, had alot worst. i don't have a single complaint on this antenna, also keeps the wife from borrowing my car, another big bonus.
you want big signal on RX and TX, talk to Bob and he will give you all the info you need to make the right choice.

KB8CRR Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2011 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Best Service and support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my antenna in Dayton from Bob and had it a few years with no problem. I had an accident with another driver (she hit me right in the antenna) I took it to Bob for a little re cabling
and it is back to new again. After the accident the only thing he had to replace was the large stainless bolt (it was slightly bent) and the power cord. Bob is a great guy and he has a great product. Thanks Bob! KB8CRR

K9FN Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2011 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Still AWESOME.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My PREDATOR has now been in service for over 5 years. My DX total while in the vehicle is now 220 worked, with BS7H (on 30M) as the most impressive. I love DX... but mostly just rag chew on CW. I could not be happier. If anything ever happens to this one, I hope Bob is still around to bail me out.

WX9DX Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2009 23:44 Send this review to a friend
WOW  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Wife corrected me. I got mine in 2000 just after I got my truck. :)

It is a great antenna, works even better now with the "Better RF Control Box, and the Icom 7000"! Push one button and the antenna tunes to your band! Way cool!

Jimmy, WX9DX:)

K9FN Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2008 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Awesome support  Time owned: more than 12 months
At Dayton I heard someone mention that Bob could add a thrust bearing to my existing Predator. When I chatted with him in the Flea Market he confirmed that. In the worst of the cold this winter my antenna has sometimes been reluctant to move. (I am that way too.) It turns out that as the stainless steel tube became a bit dirty, the Lexan collar was binding on the tube, and my controller cuts out when the motor draws 1.5 amps. Yesterday I drove out to Bob's place in Kokomo, IN and while I was there he showed me how to fully disassemble the antenna, he then slightly relieved the collar so it could not bind, he added the thrust bearing I wanted, and after putting it all back together, he waited while I reinstalled it on my Pickup and verified that it was working perfectly. One of the adjustments he made was to allow the coil to extend a bit further, so it now tunes all the way down to 3.500 mHz WITHOUT the capacity hat I had previously needed to get that low in the band.

I operate ONLY mobile, so a good antenna was essential. Thanks to the Predator I have worked 94 countries in the past 18 months, have had some wonderful rag chews both near and far, and after 50 years of hamming am enjoying our great hobby as much as ever.

I can't imagine an antenna that performs better, or getting better customer service than this.

KE4TQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2008 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Built like a battle ship  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Built will very high quality SS hardware. This thing is big, is self supporting and needs no support bracket (just bolt the base to your support, connect the rig, make sure you have a braided, and tinned, copper ground strap, and you are off). Motor takes awhile to move from 80 M to 20 M, but the signal is amazing. Worked Europe and Central America on the first day of installation from the driveway on 20 Meters. Only got it to work on 80M-40M-20M.. Not 15M or 10M. Bob is a gentleman to work with.

Tom
KE4TQ

W1CUN Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2006 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Use a mobile antenna at home for HF? It sounds like a real compromise but trust me, itís not! I have two problems at my home QTH. I have tremendous amount of trees (all in the wrong places) and a covenant that forbids removal of trees that would allow me to get efficient wire antennas up in the air. We also cannot have towers over 30í I have a SteppIR for 40-6 meters that plays excellent but I wanted 160 & 80 meter capabilities also. I bought the 80-10 meter Predator from Bob and replaced the whip with roughly 45' of top loading wire. This allows me to work both 80 and 160 meters within the travel of the roller inductor. It's mounted two feet of the ground and worked against a radial field. The antenna is highly efficient and takes full legal power effortlessly. If I can hear them I can work them. I am more then pleased with the Predator. I get good strong signal reports. This is a very efficient antenna and itís built like a battle ship! I have chatted with Bob (N9JMX) for many years when he was mobile using his Predator so I knew the capabilities of the antenna before I bought it. I am more then pleased with the performance!

W1CUN-Bob

K9FN Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2006 08:14 Send this review to a friend
What a performer!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently made my first foray into HF mobile. The PREDATOR was chosen, in part, following a recommendation of a friend. When I studied how well it was made, I drove over to Bob's and bought one. At the time I did not even have a radio, but knew I wanted to try the PREDATOR. Well, I now have an IC7000 and a TURBO TUNER in my F150 truck... and I have gotten great reports. MOST guys I work have said that I have an OUTSTANDING signal for a mobile. As a longtime DX'er, that's music to my ears. I can't imagine finding a better performer for the price, perhaps not at any price.

N8ZA Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2005 05:24 Send this review to a friend
This antenna is a workhorse  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
HI if you like HF mobile and looking for a good screwdriver antenna this is the one. I have had the 2inch predator since the 2004 Dayton. The antenna has been on all the time
Even through the Michigan winter it still works great I dont sit on one band the antenna gets a work out every day this is one antenna I can highly recommend

KC8STP Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2004 19:31 Send this review to a friend
NICE, BOB!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If your looking for a nice screwdriver antenna, and best quality with the best performance. Spend the extra money and buy it. You get what you pay for. Bob is a stand up man that stands behind his antenna and will bend over backword to help in anyway. I have not owned this antenna very long, but so far this antenna blew my other brand antenna out of the watter. IF anybody takes a look at the quality that goes into this antenna you will see that it is a long lasting quality design. Thanks BOB and keep up the great! work.