Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | N9JMX Predator Help

Reviews Summary for N9JMX Predator
N9JMX Predator Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $400,500,&650
Description: 3 Inch Screwdriver type mobile antenna
More info: http://kj9t.150m.com/N9JMXs_Predator_1/index.html

You can write your own review of the N9JMX Predator.

KB9IGG Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2004 03:05 Send this review to a friend
kb9igg  Time owned: more than 12 months
my three inch predator works excellent,i really enjoy the lowbands in the mobile.my predator works excellent no problem. one thing is that n9jmx stands behind his product.you can hear my mobile on midcars 7.258 11:30 am till 12noon central time daily.or 3.875 from after 9pm.i run icom 706mk2g ameritron als 500 a palstar watt meter wm150m.this meter is cross needle,and lighted and remote too.it makes easy tuning the predator.i also have the 160 meter coil for my predator.it snaps on top of the predator.if u like quality antenna this is the antenna for you

KD4III Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2004 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Best Money I have spent on Ham Radio Accessories  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the Predator Antennae about a year ago. I have had great success and have no complaints. I run my antennae on my '98 Peterbilt while I drive from Statesville, NC to Wisconsin and Michigan. The N9JMX Predator allows me to keep in touch no matter where I am. I believe this is the best money I have ever spent on Ham Radio accessories.

K9GO Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2004 00:06 Send this review to a friend
Plug&Play  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have operated a Predator Ant. for about 2.5 years now. I have run other Ant. mobile off and on for the past 15 years. You talk about Plug & Play well that is what Bob N9JMX has done. I have had no trouble with it what so ever. My self and N9DZ showed up at N9JMX work shop and picking up two of the Predator Ant. Took them home and installed them (What an Antenna). After some of the Ham Club members seen how well the Engineering was. Thay had to have one also. N9ZR,KB9PGB,N9EUO. You talk about Putting the Ham Back in Ham Radio. Bob N9JMX has done it for us. Running HF mobile has never been more fun. Thanks to Bob N9JMX for comming up with a mobile Ant. that just keeps on working contact after contact. Also it is a versatile Ant. Would I do it over you Better belive it. To this date Bob N9JMX to my knowing has never Compromise. Components,Construction,and Loyltie to his Customers.

K6TEX Rating: 2/5 May 20, 2004 00:54 Send this review to a friend
Not for a truck, No-Way!  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you want a great radiator for a car or pickup truck, I can highly recommend this antenna. If you run lots of miles in an 18-wheeler, or on rough roads, I wouldn't buy one. The fingerstock will break, the wires will rub flat, the roller inducter will arc or catch fire inside the tube. (note: Bob fixed everything for no charge, and even rewound the wire and gave me a new roller inducter)

Bob stands behind his product 100% and is a stand-up kind of a guy. He has rebuilt my antenna everytime that I beat it up, and welcomed me into his house for a total of about 10 days this last year while my antenna was being repaired on 7 different occassions. He even cooked out and took me to dinner everyday that I was there. (the problem is that a day not driving is money lost, as I am a trucker, and could no longer afford that. Nor was I mooching, I was helping him while I was there by doing soldering...)

I just had an antenna custom made for me by gs-mfg.com, it is a custom design, and will probably never fail. People have been using his antennas for years without a failure. And this has caused problems between me an Bob that I wasn't sure about until today when I got a somewhat nasty call on my phone. (not from Bob, but from his wife.)

Bob has let me know in no uncertain terms that if I beat his antenna at the "shoot-out" that it will cost him too much money? What the heck is that all about? The antenna shootout is supposed to be where friends get together and compare the efficiency and designs of antennas. Hard feelings that I have somebody elses antenna have no place there, nor should it be hinted that I don't show up. I plan to be there on June 9th in Anderson, IN and will test against the Predator if he is willing to use the same test vehicle for the test. (there has never been a good score from an antenna mounted on an 18 wheeler, too many losses?, poor mounting?, distance from ground?, too much loss into metal? etc...) But don't call and tell me that bragging on my new antenna is back-handed, or "chicken-s___",

I am willing to show up and test antennas, head to head, and on the same vehicle so that all perameters are the same. If the GS antenna loses I will concede that the Predator is a better radiator.(it won't, I've already tested them side by side) But after all the days that I have driven without a working antenna, and all the lost income days, you will never convince me to even think of owning another one unless it's flaws are repaired. Nope, I don't even want one then, this new GS-mfg is just too good to let go of, I know of truckers that have had the same antenna for years without a single needed repair.

This review will probably cement a wall between me and Predator Bob, and certainly his wife that called and let me know how terrible I was for using a competitor's antenna and being proud of it. HOW DARE I?

The Predator was probably one of the best antennas on the market. Too bad one of the GS-MFG antennas never competed at any of the shootouts, if they had, he would never be sore at me. There are many antennas that have never been to a shootout, and certainly not being on top will hurt sales of the Predator. But, don't call and make me feel bad for buying a better built, better radiating antenna. And certainly don't get emotional on the phone, I just don't care. If it never broke, I couldn't say that it broke, you always fixed it, but it was always breaking. Don't get mad at me because I said the truth.

KE9UW Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2003 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Great...efficient and well made  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I replaced a very well built "bugcatcher" with a 10 by 3 inch coil on a 4 foot mast with the 3 inch Predator. The Predator works as well and now I have the ease of changing bands while driveing. I feel that I have lost nothing in efficiency and gained in ease of tuning, etc. This is a very well built antenna without any downside.
Chuck, KE9UW

W0LPQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2003 10:48 Send this review to a friend
What an Antenna..!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am using the 2" "Lil" Predator. Why, that is what the XYL likes on the car. It works just as well as the 3" version. Bob makes a quality product at a reasonable price. From what I have seen of the others, I'd still pick the N9JMX Predator. Listen on 3985 or Midcars (7258) for either KJ9T, N9JMX or many others who use these antennas. They are in a word ...Great...!!

If you are in the midwest, join this group in Anderson, Indiana for the October 1st Shoot-Out..!

You will have a lot of fun and witness controlled tests that show how good these antennas are..!

Bill, WLPQ

AI4DA Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2003 10:10 Send this review to a friend
This antenna is a workhorse  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Jim installed a 8'9" version, (approx 20' with the SS whip and 160 meter coil), of the Predator on my Airstream Motorhome. This SS 3" antenna is built like the proverbial brick house.

I have no problems working 40 through 10 meters while moble and with the 160 coil and whip, I have excellent results 160 through 10 when parked.

Working this antenna with a Icom 706MIIG without using a tuner or amplifier, I have worked DX and Local contacts with the same ease. On air reports are great. I highly recommend this antenna for the Amateur who wants an antenna that performs and will last.

Going to get one installed on my Blazer in the near future.

KJ9T Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2003 00:03 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST SCREWDRIVER AVAILABLE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I hv operated the "PREDATOR" screwdriver ant for 2 years and it has performed flawlessly. I live in a Condo and am allowed no antennas. I operate at least 3 hours per day on 75M utilizing an Icom 706M2G and an Ameritron 500M amp. This ant is a go getter.
Construction materials are of the best quality and the ant is tough.
I compete twice yearly in very controlled antenna shootouts and the "PREDATOR" HAS NEVER BEEN BEATEN BY ANY OTHER SCREWDRIVER TESTED. This includes High Q, High Sierra, etc. The shootout results can be viewed at the following link:
If u demand the best, this is the system for u.

K6TEX Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2003 23:43 Send this review to a friend
The very Best!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I drive an 18-wheeler, and my demands are high. My favorite operation is on 75 meters at night with a Mid-West group. I have been able to contact them from either coast at night, and even got a 20 over from Hawaii on 75 meters! I was mobile going thru Albuquerque, New Mexico at the time.

I run about 12,000 miles per month, and need a stout and reliable antenna. I have owned several including Hi-Q-Stealth, Iron Horse, Icom AH4 (might as well be QRP) several Hustlers, and the Texas Bug-Catcher (Bug-Catcher was great, unless you want to change bands, or around inside a band).

Most of the people that speak with me thought that I bought an amplifier when they heard me with this Predator. I really got efficient. These antenna's compete in and win antenna shootouts. A shootout compares efficiencies between different makes of mobile antennas. (I now have an amp, and the antenna can handle full legal power)

I have had big reports from all over the world that I never got with the other antennas. Yes, I did get DX, but now I bust pile-ups, and have even been told that I was lying about being mobile. (I only am mobile, I don't have a base station.)

Check out the shootout results and photos of my truck on www.kj9t.com this is a truly wonderful antenna that will out perform any other mobile. Hands down, the performance on the others just doesn't ad up. While the others may work well, this one literally stomps on them.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Stealth, but I am more into function than beauty. To me this is the most beautiful antenna in the world because of it's ability to out-perform everything else.

Bob builds them all himself in his shop, and could build more, but he is retired. If you get one, you will be a top performer, and should consider yourself lucky for making the right choice.

W5JNL Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2003 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a LARGE 3 inch diameter mobile HF antenna. If size doesn't bother you this is a great antenna - there is a smaller 2 inch version available. The antenna requires a very sturdy mounting point. Installed this on my vehicle an then went on a 2,700 mile trip. The antenna worked great! On 20 meter mobile, worked about a ten countries on several continents - even getting through a pile-up on a FO Swan Island station. Antenna also worked great on the lower bands.

I would definitely buy again.