Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW
ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Reviews: 542 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $00.00
Description: LoTW ... is a repository of log records submitted by users from around the world. When both participants in a QSO submit matching QSO records to LoTW, the result is a QSL that can be used for ARRL award credit.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

WA9ASZ Rating: 2/5 Nov 26, 2014 04:29 Send this review to a friend
Logging program required  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Why does the ARRL assume that every amateur operator is using a logging program? So you go through the process of getting your callsign certificate and try to figure out how to upload your log. Well, mine is in Excel. Oh boy! Let's learn some programming so we can come up with a program that will convert. And then let's go through the hassle of uploading the conversion. I didn't need this 50 years ago, and I don't need this frustration now. I guess there does come a time when technology can pass us by, but for me, I'll stick to my printed cards and avoid the frustration.

ON9CC Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2014 02:57 Send this review to a friend
Works UFB with multiple calls!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using LoTW for quite some years now with my 'normal' call. Just recently I got a contest call (2x1) and have worked several contests now with that call too. I had no problems to setup another callsign on LoTW (getting the certificate etc.) for my contest call and no issues to add these contacts. Just works as it should and as it is documented in the online help files. Great job!

WK9U Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2014 12:39 Send this review to a friend
Honest and Accountable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have no issues with the program nor theory. Amateur radio operators have to be accurate with their log recording. Those who don't utilize the program are missing out. Those who have issues with it, apparently would have issues elsewhere. If someone can't understand the process or procedure, CALL or EMAIL the service. They respond and are most helpful. I enjoy printing off my DX or Domestic charts that have states and countries in columns whereas individual cells show the other station's callsign or available QSO spots. It's insane for reviewers to be allowed to rate this program if they aren't using it. Perhaps THEY should be rated.

KC2QYM Rating: 2/5 Nov 12, 2014 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Alternatives For Non Serious Logging  Time owned: more than 12 months
First, I am not a contester so having a logging program is not a priority for me. But if I was I would throw LOTW out with the garbage. I went thru the process of getting set up and applied, getting a postcard, logging if for the certificate, on and on. I thought I was applying for a mortgage online..which is easier. In the end I opted to use eQSL which provides me with courtesy logging and QSL confirms which many actually prefer to use. I would never go thru the frustration and hoop jumping that the ARRL makes you go suffer thru. Perhaps LOTW is the boat anchor of logging programs; you like the nostalgia of twisting dials and tuning tank circuits. I personally don't have the time or patience to suffer thru LOTW C--P. Good luck to all who use this and have mastered the arcane shape shifting required to make it work for you.

KU7PDX Rating: 0/5 Nov 11, 2014 14:27 Send this review to a friend
A Modern Rube Goldberg Machine  Time owned: more than 12 months
Somehow the ARRL has taken something as basic as an online logbook and has managed to make it more complicated than doing online banking or filing taxes.

I keep waiting for the ARRL to make the necessary changes to make LoTW useful, however they seem hard-bent on keeping their archaic system.

First, #1 problem: Despite having a secure login to the LoTW website, users are still required to place their log entries into a spreadsheet, then use a secondary piece of software to "sign" that document. Then log into LoTW and upload it.

Second, #2 problem: It is impossible to only log into the website to submit a single contact or edit an incorrect contact.

Fixing both of these problems would change my score from a 0 to a 5, however as-is the website might as well not exist and I'm embarrassed that my annual membership is going to support it.

KF7KTC Rating: 3/5 Oct 20, 2014 12:06 Send this review to a friend
LoTW works well, when it is working.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have set this up to use through a linux-based computer, and it seems to work well, when the site is actually working. I think that most of the issues with LoTW are user error, or lack of proper integration by programs that upload their log files to LoTW. That said, it seems a major problem is the lack of attention that ARRL pays to the proper support of the LoTW site. When problems with the LoTW site occur, there are no ARRL announcements of the problems. This results is widespread speculation if the problem lies with a user's computer, a bad internet connection, corrupted software on the user's computer, or some other problem on the user side. If ARRL would very simply post an announcement that there are some issues with the server-side of LoTW that are being worked on, and that another announcement would be posted when the issues are resolved, then LoTW would not grow such a bad reputation. Isn't the core of amateur radio supposed to be about communication? What we are NOT receiving from ARRL is communication! Because of this, I must rate LoTW as only "OK"

K5PAX Rating: 1/5 Sep 5, 2014 05:07 Send this review to a friend
Lacks functionality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a user of LOTW since its inception. It continues to be a kludge with large gaps in its functionality. I spent an hour today trying to get QSO credits applied. I chased around the website in a circular loop. Help was inadequate and did not mirror what was happening on the site. I sent a request to the email help desk and received an automated reply saying the help desk did not read the incoming emails. I was directed to a list of other help desk emails. There continues to be poor integration of paper and electronic QSO credits. The effectiveness of the system has not improved in the years since its initiation.

WB9MSM Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2014 10:27 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT PROGRAM  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must admit that you MUST follow the directions 100% to be able to use this program. At first I wanted to jump through the process by not doing everything correct and I had issues. Once I decided that I would follow the directions EXACTLY as stated I had no issues getting into the program. Now that I am using it . . . I am so very happy!!! It truly is the very best program out for getting your QSO's certified for DXCC or WAS. I can only say JOB WELL DONE ARRL! Thank you so much for putting this program together for the amateur community.

WA9JOQ Rating: 1/5 Aug 21, 2014 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Frustrating!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I really looked forward to using lotw and utilizing it's promised benefits to hams and streamlining the QSL process via the internet. But try as I may, I cannot get close to getting this program to run. Have started from scratch at least a half dozen times and been frustrated by this needlessly complicated program. It is the opposite of "plug and play." Too many dead ends after following installation procedures...revoked certificates, duplicate certificate numbers, etc., etc. And often you cannot even log onto the LOTW website...HELP! I expected more from this service but received nothing by frustration. Hope they fix the bugs sometime...the latest software update effort failed just today (August 20, 2014)

W4KA Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2014 05:13 Send this review to a friend
LOTW is Tops  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using LOTW for 7-8 years and it is easy and keeps track of my QSO's. I can look at my summary page and know exactly where I stand on each band. My logging program is a 2 click update to LOTW and couldn't be easier. The money savings for me is substantial as I DX a LOT. Looking at my summary page has encouraged me to add 17m,12m DXCC and I like 10 having 30m DXCC. Take the time to set it up, then enjoy the ride.