Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW
ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Reviews: 611 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $00.00
Description: LoTW ... is a repository of log records submitted by users from around the world. When both participants in a QSO submit matching QSO records to LoTW, the result is a QSL that can be used for ARRL award credit.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2017 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent program for DXCC  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using LoTW for several years now and have saved a lot of money and time. I still have to submit a few paper cards each year where those DXers do not use LoTW but almost all submissions have been via LoTW over the last year or two.

I only keep paper logs and use the entry form in TQSL to upload those contacts I need QSLs from. On my QRZ.com page there is a notification to email me if anyone needs a log upload from me. This is sufficient as few need VE, except possibly on 30m where I do get some requests.

As others have said, it is hard to understand the negative reviews for LoTW. I think perhaps some of them are ARRL haters using any forum they can find to lash out. LoTW is pretty simple to use and very effective.

LoTW runs quite smoothly now with the odd hiccup. If you haven't used it, give it a try. Even if you collect paper cards LoTW is a superior way to get credits for those certificate programs that use it.

N5XJT Rating: 2/5 Sep 1, 2017 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Could Be Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sign-up and initial use are way too difficult for me at least. This could be a great program but it is impossible to use intuitively.

VA3VF Rating: 4/5 Sep 1, 2017 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Very good overall.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The security measures are somewhat exaggerated. A hobby QSO confirmation system does not need more security than online banking, or income tax return filings.

It's affordable, as it does not cost anything until, and unless, you apply for one of the supported awards.

Those that think direct QSLing is more affordable, must have failed basic math, or are receiving lots of replies to their direct requests via the buro, for failing to pay both ways. Even one way expenses are higher than the 12 cents per credit that is charged, again, only if you apply for a supported award.

The only cost inconvenience, is applying for the WPX. The 600 credits for each Honor Roll WPX add up. For those, you are better off using eQSL, if you have the needed confirmations there, as they are free, and accepted by CQ magazine.

Yes, there is the buro, but I would like to complete the award requirements during my lifetime.

N1KDO Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2017 09:34 Send this review to a friend
for ARRL awards this cannot be beat  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you want to apply for any of the "elite" ARRL operating awards, DXCC, VUCC, WAS, 5BDXCC, DXCC Challenge, etc., Logbook of the World is likely going to be a lot cheaper and a lot faster than using paper QSLs.

If you don't care about those awards, then don't bother with LoTW, you can get some far less prestigious awards from other online QSL sites.

LoTW credits for awards are 12 cents each. A QSL card requested with international postage is probably $3.50 by the time you mail your card and green stamps. Sure, the bureau is a lot cheaper -- if you live long enough to get your QSL.

The initial setup of LoTW is a bit of a pain, no argument. The level of security to authenticate every QSO loaded into the system is very high, but I believe that ARRL wanted to maintain the integrity of their awards.

Despite the difficulty in setup (and it is not that hard!) some 98,000 users are registered with the system, and 858 MILLION QSOs have been uploaded, resulting in 151 MILLION CONFIRMATIONS. I have fully 64% of my QSOs confirmed in Logbook of the World.

I use DX Lab Suite DX Keeper to upload my QSOs, it is super easy. I hear that QRZ.com's logbook can upload to LoTW, too. It's just a matter of getting your first certificate set up.

In short, if you are a DX-er and you want to qualify for ARRL's various operating awards, Logbook of the World makes this far faster and cheaper than using paper QSL cards.

DL1MEV Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2017 07:37 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The security measures of sending a copy of radio-license and ID-document for foreign users may seem deterring first, but they help to keep the integrity of this qsl- system. Meanwhile it runs perfectly and it is a pleasure to watch the incoming confirmations. I regret that I had switched over to electronic logging and lotw earlier.

VK4WTN Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2017 20:36 Send this review to a friend
works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I cant understand all of the bad reviews about LOTW. Apart from the sign up procedure which is designed to stop fake calls being registered LOTW works great.I am not a computer savvy person but LOTW is so easy to use. I have managed to confirm countries which would have been hard to get paper QSLs from. I cant see how LOTW could be any easier and still provide a reasonable level of security.

KE4WY Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2017 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Not as Bad as we had heard  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was reluctant to use LOTW because of the reviews; However we decided to give it a try and
are fairly satisfied with it. It installed without issue. The only complaint as mentioned in an earlier review when I did phone asking a few questions I felt the person was a little short with me. Over the past 35 plus years this is only the 1st time I got this impression from an ARRL Representative.

K0UA Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2017 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Sorry I didn't start sooner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My only regret with LOTW is why didn't I start with it sooner. No, I had to be an old curmudgeon and say "this is too hard!". Well I am an old curmudgeon, and its not too hard to get set up and easy to use. Yeah you gotta wait for the stupid postcard in the mail, but it comes soon enough. And it is my fault for not starting years ago. I give it a 5 out of 5 because it deserves a 5 out of 5. And I upload before turning the rig off for the night. I wish others did the same. :)

KD0ZV Rating: 1/5 Aug 30, 2017 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Try again  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a mess. Over complicated and hard to setup. Not sure what they were thinking when they created this. But a huge disappointment. Switch computers and you can start the process all over.

KG4RUL Rating: 0/5 Aug 30, 2017 10:23 Send this review to a friend
HIGHLY Overrated!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Signing up is cumbersome and harks back to the days of the cold war (PSST - Do you have any launch codes?). Correcting any problems plunges you into the abyss. This is a hobby activity and does not need this level of nit-picking security. I will continue to QSL via paper.