Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW
ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Reviews: 534 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $00.00
Description: LoTW ... is a repository of log records submitted by users from around the world. When both participants in a QSO submit matching QSO records to LoTW, the result is a QSL that can be used for ARRL award credit.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

WA9JOQ Rating: 1/5 Aug 21, 2014 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Frustrating!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I really looked forward to using lotw and utilizing it's promised benefits to hams and streamlining the QSL process via the internet. But try as I may, I cannot get close to getting this program to run. Have started from scratch at least a half dozen times and been frustrated by this needlessly complicated program. It is the opposite of "plug and play." Too many dead ends after following installation procedures...revoked certificates, duplicate certificate numbers, etc., etc. And often you cannot even log onto the LOTW website...HELP! I expected more from this service but received nothing by frustration. Hope they fix the bugs sometime...the latest software update effort failed just today (August 20, 2014)

W4KA Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2014 05:13 Send this review to a friend
LOTW is Tops  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using LOTW for 7-8 years and it is easy and keeps track of my QSO's. I can look at my summary page and know exactly where I stand on each band. My logging program is a 2 click update to LOTW and couldn't be easier. The money savings for me is substantial as I DX a LOT. Looking at my summary page has encouraged me to add 17m,12m DXCC and I like 10 having 30m DXCC. Take the time to set it up, then enjoy the ride.

WA8UEG Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2014 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Simply Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Easy to use with an ever growing number of users. Even if you don't have a logging program that uploads automatically the new TQSL makes it fast & easy. Even if your not interested in awards you should upload for your fellow hams that are.

N0FPE Rating: 0/5 Aug 9, 2014 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Still bad for casual use  Time owned: more than 12 months
Too much of a pain in the butt for casual user. I am not a Dxer or a contester. For my 6-8 contacts a month it is just too much of a pain. And I change computers all the time and have NO interest in setting it up over and over and over. I guess I will stick to old fashioned paper QSLs if I really want one. I do work a number of special Event stations but thank god they are still using paper QSLs and certificates.

F4GFT Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2014 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Mature now   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
LOTW has come a long way, and I understand those who gave earlier versions a poor review. With TQSL 2, and the upgraded server at ARRL HQ, however, LOTW has become a mature and robust platform.
The procedure is straightforward. I installed the software on my Windows 7 machine, created and uploaded a certificate, sent in copies of my licence and ID, and received the tq6-certificate and a password by mail only a week or so later.
My biggest obstacle was the conversion of my Excel-based logbook to ADIF. I had to write a small C program to do the job, although it is in principle possible from within Excel as well. Most people will not have to face this problem, since almost everyone uses a decent logging program with LOTW integration or at least ADIF export.
Then came the big moment: I imported, signed and uploaded the log from within TQSL (about 4000 records), and almost immediately received confirmation for about 25% of my QSOs. I was able to check my DXCC standings, 56 on CW and 67 on SSB, 76 in mixed mode. The log upload also showed me a few errors in my log, where band and frequency did not match. Fine job!
But there's more: Since LOTW uses a blind check and signatures, its results are credible and trusted, and I was able to import them directly to DCL (that would be the DARC contest log). I am certain that if LOTW was less restrictive, and thus less trustworthy, this would not have been possible. So as an added benefit, I not only know that it will take me a while before I earn DXCC, but also that I already earned WAE (worked all europe) in SSB and CW.
I heartily recommend LOTW. Ignore earlier reviews; LOTW as it is in 2014 is a must for every DXer.

N1KDO Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2014 15:49 Send this review to a friend
read the instructions  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you read the instructions, and follow them to the letter, then everything works fine business. I use DXLab Suite to upload my logs, it is painless.

The instructions are not hard to find. They are literally the first result returned if you search google for "lotw instructions".

These are step by step, with pictures and arrows!

I have a 55% confirmation rate with LoTW, that is about twice as good, maybe three times, to the response to mailed QSL cards. I expect I have saved close to $1,000 in postage by using LoTW.

W1XV Rating: 2/5 Jul 29, 2014 05:06 Send this review to a friend
Not worth the hassle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll stick with the old tried and true REAL QSL cards which I enjoy collecting rather than having the verification in cyber space. Unless one is computer savvy, this program is best left to someone who is. Seems as though the system could be a lot easier to navigate. I entered the password received via postcard and that's where I stopped. In my opinion LOTW is a huge maze. I've been keeping track of QSOs for decades with paper logbooks and my own system which always matches the print-out from ARRL DXCC Desk when making submissions. Thanks but no thanks.

AD0EY Rating: 1/5 Jun 26, 2014 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Instructions don't exist  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All these people barking on that you need to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS are missing the fact that the instructions you are told to download and print are at a broken url.

I submitted my certificate request. At least I think I did. There was no confirmation pop-up. No feedback. No email. No postcard either after a week. So I tried re-uploading the file once I found it (the instructions are wrong that you get prompted on where to store it), and it turns out that it has been received. Most of the issues with this application would be solved by simply programming in user feedback.

I haven't yet used it in operation, as I'm waiting for the postcard which, frankly, is ridiculous.

N4OI Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2014 04:26 Send this review to a friend
Easy Peazy - Again!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I finally lost that old PC that I used for certifying my logs for LOTW and had to get a new certificate. I expected to experience at least some of the nightmares described here from time-to-time. But I was pleasantly surprised that the process is still quick and simple... Go to Web site, request certificate, receive certificate, install certificate -- click, click, click and done! I really do not understand how a ham radio operator can set up a test bed to check their transmitter's IMD, or create macros for PSK, and then have problems with LOTW. Thanks, ARRL!

KB5YN Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2014 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Case study  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am not a computer guru, but was able to set everything up by following the instructions. I already had thousands of 15m DX contacts made in the last 5 years. I entered 178 contacts one by one and got 107 confirmations. I only entered DX contacts that indicated on their QRZ site that they did LOTW. This is a 60% return rate. I entered about 10 contacts at a time and the confirmations came back in seconds to a minute or two. My DXCC 15M endorsement is costing me $36.00. The program is easy to use.