Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW
ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Reviews: 593 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $00.00
Description: LoTW ... is a repository of log records submitted by users from around the world. When both participants in a QSO submit matching QSO records to LoTW, the result is a QSL that can be used for ARRL award credit.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

W4NNF Rating: 4/5 Apr 8, 2016 15:51 Send this review to a friend
You will like it just fine ONCE you get it set up...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The biggest problem people have with this program/system? Understanding that it is NOT really a logbook application despite its name. It probably should have been called "QSLs of the World." It is for verifying QSOs and submitting them to the ARRL for awards. Yes, you can enter QSOs into it manually, but you really wouldn't like that...you normally want to use LoTW with your logbook application of choice--I use HRD with it. You use it WITH a logbook program...not as one.

Why can't some hams get it working whether they understand what it is really for or not? The password conundrum and the certificate thingie.

When you set up the part of LOTW that resides on your computer, TQSL, you request a password from the ARRL. That password is, yes, mailed to you (snail mailed) on the infamous Magic Postcard. BUT...that password is NOT the password you use to log onto LOTW. It is a password you use in order to obtain your REAL password, and a security device called a "certificate."

When the postcard arrives in around a week, enter the postcard password along with your user name (your call) into the required fields on the ARRL website whose url is printed on the postcard.

In a day or so, you'll then receive an email from the A double RL...this will have your REAL password and username and an attachment...that scary certificate.

These days, installing the certificate is not usually a problem. Just double click on it in your email program. Worst case you might have to save it on your hard drive somewhere, go into the directory where you saved it with File Manager, and double click on it.

That's it. All that remains is doing a few things, clearly spelled out in the ARRL's instructions, in the TSQL program...entering your station location, etc. You will then be able to log onto LoTW--finally--look around, etc.

None of this is likely to give you problems IF you understand that getting the password is a two step process.

Once done, set up your logging program for LoTW, and life becomes as simple as highlighting QSOs in your logger app (HRD or whatever) and clicking a button to upload them to LoTW. You shouldn't have to worry about that certificate again for a long time unless you switch computers.

N6XJP Rating: 1/5 Jan 31, 2016 06:16 Send this review to a friend
Help  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One hundred dollars to the first ham that shows up at my door and gets me up and operating on LoTW. Period. That is up, operating with enough training and questions answered so that I can compete in contests and NPOTA. Help me enter the last 5 QSOs, and make a submission file. The whole enchilada.
I have tried 4 times...to no avail. No, I will not try it on line again. I live 60 miles from Yosemite. Lunch will be served.

KF2E Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2016 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Great service that saves a bunch!  Time owned: more than 12 months
LoTW is a great service. If you want to QSL via paper it costs you $5 per contact by the time you buy cards, envelopes and pay postage both ways. Add to that you probably will only get 3/4 of your QSL's returned. With LoTW it is free! If only we could get all hams using it.

KB7FHK Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2016 20:15 Send this review to a friend
I over it now  Time owned: more than 12 months
At first I found difficult but came back and glad I did because most problems were my fault and not the program. It is free and that is a plus. Most likely a lot of hams avoid lotw because it can be an aggravation to set up initially.
If I had to find any fault it would be access from ark website. I bookmark the logon page on my computers. Still have difficulty interfacing with qrz.com logbook.

K4LRX Rating: 1/5 Dec 18, 2015 02:05 Send this review to a friend
Difficult set up  Time owned: more than 12 months
My time with LOTW is short yet has reoccurred three times. A little history, first time I wanted to look at the program, loaded it in my computer and really got no where. After a week or so, I felt I did not have the time to devote to this project. Dumped the program and did not give it any more thought. The computer I was using at the time was a Macbook laptop about three years old. About a year later my curiosity arose and I thought well, maybe I would try it again. I got as far as the point about requesting a top secret application and receiving the encoded post card.

After waiting a considerable time and no card, I again dumped the program. Again, still using the Macbook as my computer.

About a year ago I decided to upgrade my computer and purchased a Mac Retina. Fast, runs like it should and no problems. Ok, decided to try again with LOTW and loaded the program, sent off again for the magic card and this time received it in about ten days.

Entered in all the required information, this time thought I had won, no. Opening page came up, a selection for "Your QSO" plus another box to enter in the qso information. Before I attempted to navigate I down loaded the manual from ARRL. This is about the size of small town phone book, but I printed a copy for easy reference.

I tried to enter contacts, each time the page would go through a search and come back with "No Records Found" Ok, maybe the station I am entering is not a user? Got some of my expedition cards that claimed they uploaded to LOTW, entered in the information and same result. Checked the box in the lower left of the screen that checks if there is a an upload, there was I had the proof in my hand a paper card. Again, after trying about a dozen times I just put the project on hold. Personally, I have every country in the world confirmed except P5, only thing I am endorsing is my DXCC challenge, Phone and CW DXCC.

What I do not need is being frustrated and consume large amounts of time trying to figure this program out on my own. For years, used direct methods, bureau, and now EQSL plus OQRS, or a qsl manager. All work fine for me. In fact have over 100 cards to send to the league for checking and they will leave soon.

Roughly two years ago I signed up with EQSL a real breeze in five minutes was confirming contacts an storing qsl cards in my archive. No secret messages, or cumbersome and confusing instructions. LOTW does not allow you to store qsl cards, it really missed the boat in that area. Chances are, by the time you read this I will have dumped the program for the third time. In reality, I just do not need it, my tried and true methods have worked for years and i am sure they will continue.

It appears on this web site there is a "love, Hate" relationship with LOTW. Some love it while others say it is an abomination. While the program still in on my computer, well maybe when i really have nothing to do I might try this again, maybe, doubtful.

K6CRC Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2015 19:10 Send this review to a friend
working well now  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a critic in the past of LoTW. It is the MOST visible element of the ARRL, and should be first class. It seems to be working well. TSQL app makes sense now. Congrats to ARRL IT staff.
My only issue is the convoluted way of getting awards. I was trying to decode rules, as I have both cards and LoTW credits. Something about buying credits to use...
Make it easy ARRL. Just charge for an award and for cards that need to be manually checked. SIMPLE rate chart.
It could be a good revenue generator.

KK7JS Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2015 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Works well, with one minor complaint  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've installed it on several machines, used multiple callsigns, and have not had any major issues. It's been a great way to make QSO confirmations quickly and economically. The one complaint I have is that I want some sort of delete QSO function - have made typos and other errors over several years of use that I want to clear away but can't.

K0RS Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2015 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Works fine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Why didn't I sign up for this sooner? I procrastinated because of the stories I'd heard about the difficulty of getting this up and running. Nonsense. Just follow ARRL's instructions and it will work for you the first time like it did for me.

N6XJP Rating: 1/5 Dec 10, 2015 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Fourth Attempt  Time owned: more than 12 months
Maybe we should rethink this and move it into this century. I am now into my fourth iteration to get this thing to work...my fifth or sixth password, who knows how many certs that are meaningless. Should it really be this difficult to keep people from cheating? Let them cheat! Only they will know the true value of their worthless QSLs. So for now...not able to join in any ARRL contests even though I pay my dues. Really wanted to do the 2016 year long activity...but alas...it requires LoTW. Not entirely sure I'll renew with ARRL again.

MM0TFU Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2015 06:21 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a LoTW user for several years and after some initial setup problems were ironed out (I re-read the instructions and followed them carefully) I have been a regular user, uploading my logs every few weeks.

Recently I had a major malfunction on my old laptop which was running XP, but I managed to save all the important stuff and transfer it to a new machine running Windows 10. One of the final things I needed to do was get LoTW back up and running. After several attempts to transfer my Certificates failed, I gave up. I was using an older version of TQSL and couldn't get the backup files saved and transferred. This was my fault for not updating to the latest version. I installed the latest version of TQSL and applied for new Certificates, which is a simple process that only requires filling in a few details and uploading it to the ARRL. Within 24 hours I had email confirmation with my new Certificates attached. A few mouse clicks later and everything was working as before.

I am no computer genius, but by carefully following the detailed instructions in the FAQ's I was able to do this easily and quickly.
I really don't understand all the negativity towards LoTW. I suspect that some of the people who complain about it don't fully understand what LoTW actually is. It's not a logging program, it is a means of confirming contacts which are logged elsewhere, and for these confirmations to have accuracy, validity and integrity, hence the security measures required when first registering. There are no pictures, no fancy QSL cards and it won't tell you about QSO's that you logged incorrectly. The data you upload must closely match the data uploaded by the other guy, otherwise you won't get a confirmation. But at least if you do get a confirmation it counts for something, and you can be sure of it's validity.

Yes, there are a few hoops to jump through, and you do need to supply the ARRL with some forms of identity but this is actually easier for US licence holders than it is for those outside the USA. After that, all that is required is to follow the instructions closely. If it is not working, you are doing something wrong and you will need to go back and examine every step until you figure out where you goofed up. More than likely, it will be something simple.

Thanks ARRL for providing a free service, and for keeping it tight. I hope you can sort out the details with the RSGB and we can soon use LoTW for IOTA confirmations.