Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW
ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Reviews: 597 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $00.00
Description: LoTW ... is a repository of log records submitted by users from around the world. When both participants in a QSO submit matching QSO records to LoTW, the result is a QSL that can be used for ARRL award credit.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

M0TTB Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2016 12:15 Send this review to a friend
well worth the initial effort  Time owned: more than 12 months
5 years on from signing up and have had no issues in that time. The current version is far more user friendly than it used to be a few years ago, moving from one pc to another is as simple as moving any small file. Renewing your callsign certificate used to be a scary prospect, and I suspect many people were lost in the past due to this, but today it is a very simple procedure. I'd still prefer it if callsign renewal wasn't quite as frequent.

Us non-US hams have an extra hoop to jump through to get started but it really is still very easy and ARRL really don't need any info from you that is sensitive.

It's always nice to pop into LoTW once a day and see what has been confirmed, be they old qso's or new ones

WB9MSM Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2016 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Way To QSL!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted to say that LoTW is an EXCELLENT tool for confirming your contacts. I am very pleased with how it works and must admit I have made some rather stupid errors with entering contacts into my log. Example: I used to enter portable DX stations with their portable location after their regular call sign. I corrected this error by entering the portable location before their regular call sign and received my QSO confirmation. You kind of learn along the way. I am really grateful to the ARRL for making this tool available for confirming QSO's. I still actually QSL with a physical card through the mail for those that do not use LoTW but must admit LoTW is truly the way to go these days. And it sure beats having to go to the Post Office. To those of you who have issues with LoTW and give it low ratings I wish you would please take a " DEEP BREATH" and re-evaluate what you may of done wrong and work on correcting the issue. The benefits of LoTW are NUMEROUS!

AA6VB Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2016 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Log Errors Easily Corrected  Time owned: more than 12 months
On more than one occasion I have incorrectly entered a QSO into my logging program and then uploaded the log to LOTW. Needless to say, I could not get a QSL if the time or date was out of range.

This problem can be easily fixed, however, by correcting your log, and then uploading the corrected QSO to LOTW. Once done, if the corrected QSO info matches the other station's upload, a QSL results.

It's not the ARRL's responsibility to correct user errors and it would be bad policy to put the ARRL in the position where they have to decide what corrections to make and what corrections to refuse. It's better they remain "neutral" when it comes to fixing user errors.

Overall, LOTW is a wonderful way to confirm QSOs, and sometimes even during a DXpedition. We never had such options before the Internet. It's fast, inexpensive, and convenient (even if getting the thing set up is sometimes difficult).

Overall, LOTW is a great resource!!!

Bob/AA6VB

GM7NZI Rating: 2/5 May 8, 2016 17:13 Send this review to a friend
their attitude stinks  Time owned: more than 12 months
i had always been very happy with "lotw" until i noticed that out of three contact i made with the dx-pedition to botswana 2106 A25UK were not confirmed on lotw, so i went to clublog where the dxpedition team stored their logs and was able to confirm i had indeed made 3 qso's with the team,
i then contacted the qsl manager for the team who is responsible for uploading the logs, i gave him all the data and he was able to tell me what was wrong , my pc had entered the qso's in bst instead of utc so 1 hour out, so then i go back to lotw and re-enter the qso's with the correct info but still no joy ...not confirmed.
then i contacted lotw and i could not believe the attutude iwas practically accuse of trying to cheat? here is the actual email i got...

Ray,
What you are asking is trolling for busted QSOs. LoTW is a double blind system just to prevent this sort of thing. I am not doubting that your claim of the QSOs is not true but we cannot reveal other users logs. I suggest you work this out with the station or his QSO manager.
Norm W3IZ
i never at any time asked for any information from anyones log, i felt my integrity was called to question with this guys attitude , all i asked was , if the qsl manager says the contacts are good going by the dxpedition log and the log itself on clublog says all three qso' took place then why isnt lotw confirming ? , all i got was qustioned regarding my motives?
to summarise... i made 3 qso's they have been confirmed by the dx team i spoke to , the qsl manager says they are ligitimate contacts , and yet lotw software wont confirm and when i question this im accused of being up to no good? i gave up as i was getting nowhere contacts lost because of i assume a glitch in the software that nobody want to talk about to a dodgy guy like me trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the lotw .. -10 for sustomer service thanks for nothing lotw.

W4NNF Rating: 4/5 Apr 8, 2016 15:51 Send this review to a friend
You will like it just fine ONCE you get it set up...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The biggest problem people have with this program/system? Understanding that it is NOT really a logbook application despite its name. It probably should have been called "QSLs of the World." It is for verifying QSOs and submitting them to the ARRL for awards. Yes, you can enter QSOs into it manually, but you really wouldn't like that...you normally want to use LoTW with your logbook application of choice--I use HRD with it. You use it WITH a logbook program...not as one.

Why can't some hams get it working whether they understand what it is really for or not? The password conundrum and the certificate thingie.

When you set up the part of LOTW that resides on your computer, TQSL, you request a password from the ARRL. That password is, yes, mailed to you (snail mailed) on the infamous Magic Postcard. BUT...that password is NOT the password you use to log onto LOTW. It is a password you use in order to obtain your REAL password, and a security device called a "certificate."

When the postcard arrives in around a week, enter the postcard password along with your user name (your call) into the required fields on the ARRL website whose url is printed on the postcard.

In a day or so, you'll then receive an email from the A double RL...this will have your REAL password and username and an attachment...that scary certificate.

These days, installing the certificate is not usually a problem. Just double click on it in your email program. Worst case you might have to save it on your hard drive somewhere, go into the directory where you saved it with File Manager, and double click on it.

That's it. All that remains is doing a few things, clearly spelled out in the ARRL's instructions, in the TSQL program...entering your station location, etc. You will then be able to log onto LoTW--finally--look around, etc.

None of this is likely to give you problems IF you understand that getting the password is a two step process.

Once done, set up your logging program for LoTW, and life becomes as simple as highlighting QSOs in your logger app (HRD or whatever) and clicking a button to upload them to LoTW. You shouldn't have to worry about that certificate again for a long time unless you switch computers.

N6XJP Rating: 1/5 Jan 31, 2016 06:16 Send this review to a friend
Help  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One hundred dollars to the first ham that shows up at my door and gets me up and operating on LoTW. Period. That is up, operating with enough training and questions answered so that I can compete in contests and NPOTA. Help me enter the last 5 QSOs, and make a submission file. The whole enchilada.
I have tried 4 times...to no avail. No, I will not try it on line again. I live 60 miles from Yosemite. Lunch will be served.

KF2E Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2016 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Great service that saves a bunch!  Time owned: more than 12 months
LoTW is a great service. If you want to QSL via paper it costs you $5 per contact by the time you buy cards, envelopes and pay postage both ways. Add to that you probably will only get 3/4 of your QSL's returned. With LoTW it is free! If only we could get all hams using it.

KB7FHK Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2016 20:15 Send this review to a friend
I over it now  Time owned: more than 12 months
At first I found difficult but came back and glad I did because most problems were my fault and not the program. It is free and that is a plus. Most likely a lot of hams avoid lotw because it can be an aggravation to set up initially.
If I had to find any fault it would be access from ark website. I bookmark the logon page on my computers. Still have difficulty interfacing with qrz.com logbook.

K4LRX Rating: 1/5 Dec 18, 2015 02:05 Send this review to a friend
Difficult set up  Time owned: more than 12 months
My time with LOTW is short yet has reoccurred three times. A little history, first time I wanted to look at the program, loaded it in my computer and really got no where. After a week or so, I felt I did not have the time to devote to this project. Dumped the program and did not give it any more thought. The computer I was using at the time was a Macbook laptop about three years old. About a year later my curiosity arose and I thought well, maybe I would try it again. I got as far as the point about requesting a top secret application and receiving the encoded post card.

After waiting a considerable time and no card, I again dumped the program. Again, still using the Macbook as my computer.

About a year ago I decided to upgrade my computer and purchased a Mac Retina. Fast, runs like it should and no problems. Ok, decided to try again with LOTW and loaded the program, sent off again for the magic card and this time received it in about ten days.

Entered in all the required information, this time thought I had won, no. Opening page came up, a selection for "Your QSO" plus another box to enter in the qso information. Before I attempted to navigate I down loaded the manual from ARRL. This is about the size of small town phone book, but I printed a copy for easy reference.

I tried to enter contacts, each time the page would go through a search and come back with "No Records Found" Ok, maybe the station I am entering is not a user? Got some of my expedition cards that claimed they uploaded to LOTW, entered in the information and same result. Checked the box in the lower left of the screen that checks if there is a an upload, there was I had the proof in my hand a paper card. Again, after trying about a dozen times I just put the project on hold. Personally, I have every country in the world confirmed except P5, only thing I am endorsing is my DXCC challenge, Phone and CW DXCC.

What I do not need is being frustrated and consume large amounts of time trying to figure this program out on my own. For years, used direct methods, bureau, and now EQSL plus OQRS, or a qsl manager. All work fine for me. In fact have over 100 cards to send to the league for checking and they will leave soon.

Roughly two years ago I signed up with EQSL a real breeze in five minutes was confirming contacts an storing qsl cards in my archive. No secret messages, or cumbersome and confusing instructions. LOTW does not allow you to store qsl cards, it really missed the boat in that area. Chances are, by the time you read this I will have dumped the program for the third time. In reality, I just do not need it, my tried and true methods have worked for years and i am sure they will continue.

It appears on this web site there is a "love, Hate" relationship with LOTW. Some love it while others say it is an abomination. While the program still in on my computer, well maybe when i really have nothing to do I might try this again, maybe, doubtful.

K6CRC Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2015 19:10 Send this review to a friend
working well now  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a critic in the past of LoTW. It is the MOST visible element of the ARRL, and should be first class. It seems to be working well. TSQL app makes sense now. Congrats to ARRL IT staff.
My only issue is the convoluted way of getting awards. I was trying to decode rules, as I have both cards and LoTW credits. Something about buying credits to use...
Make it easy ARRL. Just charge for an award and for cards that need to be manually checked. SIMPLE rate chart.
It could be a good revenue generator.