Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW
ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Reviews: 617 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $00.00
Description: LoTW ... is a repository of log records submitted by users from around the world. When both participants in a QSO submit matching QSO records to LoTW, the result is a QSL that can be used for ARRL award credit.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

NO6E Rating: 4/5 Oct 5, 2017 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Great once set up  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
WSJT-X automatically creates ADIF logs LOTW accepts - just upload them. Took me a while to figure out LOTW, but now it's fine. Everyone seems to have different issues. Mine was figuring out that the password to log onto the LOTW site is NOT the same as the password to upload a log! (Yeah, I hear all of you laughing that I was so dumb!). Anyway, the combination of FT8 and LOTW quickly got me WAS, which I had never earned in 50 years of hamming. Recommended.

WE4B Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2017 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Simple and effective  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I find LoTW simple to use and a great way to quickly confirm contacts. I wish I had adopted its use years ago. I upload my QSOs to LOTW then download them from LoTW into QRZ. If you follow the instructions, set-up is a breeze and using it is just as simple.

AE5GT Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2017 13:17 Send this review to a friend
$$$$$  Time owned: more than 12 months
Pain to get started....you have to be confirmed as actually existing . Cost about $0 ...Postage saved in 9 years? 37000 X .30 => $11,100 .

...Getting confirmation for that DX station in hours
days or week or two . as opposed to months. instant DXCC credit on the QSL ,no card checking.

Unless your into getting paper QSLs...(some are)

Well worth the minor pain of confirmation.

K0UA Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2017 10:03 Send this review to a friend
It works great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been on LOTW now for many months, and it works GREAT!. I have no idea what people are talking about frustration. Once set up you are DONE!. Just upload your logs using trusted QSL, which takes seconds. I do it several times a day if I am heavily operating. The ONLY frustration is that every one IS NOT ON IT, and they should be if at all interested in awards or helping other. These scare stories you hear are just so much hot air.

W9OD Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2017 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
LoTW had a tough infancy, it was work to get it to work. After some manipulation it did what it was suppose to. Now with logging programs being brought up to speed, it is fantastic!! I use MLDX, I log a QSO, and it is automatically sent off to LoTW. This is such a great service the ARRL offers, and it is FREE!!! Thank you ARRL!!

K4DL Rating: 0/5 Oct 5, 2017 03:00 Send this review to a friend
POS compared to everything else.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I attempted to start using LoTW several times over the past 10 years but always ended up frustrated and stopped. A few months ago I gave it another attempt. This time I got frustrated as well and after removing their silly program from my computer a few times I finally got it up and going, call signs and locations all set up. I am currently uploading to 4 such programs. Three of which I can log in real time from my logging program. LoTW is not so easy to use. I am setting here at the moment with LoTW over 16 hours behind waiting for it to show my log I uploaded yesterday. This program is very poorly written and is not user friendly. You would think that they would spend a few dollars on LoTW and have a top notch program. But that has not happened yet. Maybe they need to just hand it over to one of the many successful log sites and let them do it for us. I do not recommend starting using it if you are not already on. Not worth the effort or frustration

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2017 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent program for DXCC  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using LoTW for several years now and have saved a lot of money and time. I still have to submit a few paper cards each year where those DXers do not use LoTW but almost all submissions have been via LoTW over the last year or two.

I only keep paper logs and use the entry form in TQSL to upload those contacts I need QSLs from. On my QRZ.com page there is a notification to email me if anyone needs a log upload from me. This is sufficient as few need VE, except possibly on 30m where I do get some requests.

As others have said, it is hard to understand the negative reviews for LoTW. I think perhaps some of them are ARRL haters using any forum they can find to lash out. LoTW is pretty simple to use and very effective.

LoTW runs quite smoothly now with the odd hiccup. If you haven't used it, give it a try. Even if you collect paper cards LoTW is a superior way to get credits for those certificate programs that use it.

N5XJT Rating: 2/5 Sep 1, 2017 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Could Be Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sign-up and initial use are way too difficult for me at least. This could be a great program but it is impossible to use intuitively.

VA3VF Rating: 4/5 Sep 1, 2017 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Very good overall.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The security measures are somewhat exaggerated. A hobby QSO confirmation system does not need more security than online banking, or income tax return filings.

It's affordable, as it does not cost anything until, and unless, you apply for one of the supported awards.

Those that think direct QSLing is more affordable, must have failed basic math, or are receiving lots of replies to their direct requests via the buro, for failing to pay both ways. Even one way expenses are higher than the 12 cents per credit that is charged, again, only if you apply for a supported award.

The only cost inconvenience, is applying for the WPX. The 600 credits for each Honor Roll WPX add up. For those, you are better off using eQSL, if you have the needed confirmations there, as they are free, and accepted by CQ magazine.

Yes, there is the buro, but I would like to complete the award requirements during my lifetime.

N1KDO Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2017 09:34 Send this review to a friend
for ARRL awards this cannot be beat  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you want to apply for any of the "elite" ARRL operating awards, DXCC, VUCC, WAS, 5BDXCC, DXCC Challenge, etc., Logbook of the World is likely going to be a lot cheaper and a lot faster than using paper QSLs.

If you don't care about those awards, then don't bother with LoTW, you can get some far less prestigious awards from other online QSL sites.

LoTW credits for awards are 12 cents each. A QSL card requested with international postage is probably $3.50 by the time you mail your card and green stamps. Sure, the bureau is a lot cheaper -- if you live long enough to get your QSL.

The initial setup of LoTW is a bit of a pain, no argument. The level of security to authenticate every QSO loaded into the system is very high, but I believe that ARRL wanted to maintain the integrity of their awards.

Despite the difficulty in setup (and it is not that hard!) some 98,000 users are registered with the system, and 858 MILLION QSOs have been uploaded, resulting in 151 MILLION CONFIRMATIONS. I have fully 64% of my QSOs confirmed in Logbook of the World.

I use DX Lab Suite DX Keeper to upload my QSOs, it is super easy. I hear that QRZ.com's logbook can upload to LoTW, too. It's just a matter of getting your first certificate set up.

In short, if you are a DX-er and you want to qualify for ARRL's various operating awards, Logbook of the World makes this far faster and cheaper than using paper QSL cards.