Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW
ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Reviews: 617 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $00.00
Description: LoTW ... is a repository of log records submitted by users from around the world. When both participants in a QSO submit matching QSO records to LoTW, the result is a QSL that can be used for ARRL award credit.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

DL1MEV Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2017 07:37 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The security measures of sending a copy of radio-license and ID-document for foreign users may seem deterring first, but they help to keep the integrity of this qsl- system. Meanwhile it runs perfectly and it is a pleasure to watch the incoming confirmations. I regret that I had switched over to electronic logging and lotw earlier.

VK4WTN Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2017 20:36 Send this review to a friend
works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I cant understand all of the bad reviews about LOTW. Apart from the sign up procedure which is designed to stop fake calls being registered LOTW works great.I am not a computer savvy person but LOTW is so easy to use. I have managed to confirm countries which would have been hard to get paper QSLs from. I cant see how LOTW could be any easier and still provide a reasonable level of security.

KE4WY Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2017 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Not as Bad as we had heard  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was reluctant to use LOTW because of the reviews; However we decided to give it a try and
are fairly satisfied with it. It installed without issue. The only complaint as mentioned in an earlier review when I did phone asking a few questions I felt the person was a little short with me. Over the past 35 plus years this is only the 1st time I got this impression from an ARRL Representative.

K0UA Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2017 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Sorry I didn't start sooner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My only regret with LOTW is why didn't I start with it sooner. No, I had to be an old curmudgeon and say "this is too hard!". Well I am an old curmudgeon, and its not too hard to get set up and easy to use. Yeah you gotta wait for the stupid postcard in the mail, but it comes soon enough. And it is my fault for not starting years ago. I give it a 5 out of 5 because it deserves a 5 out of 5. And I upload before turning the rig off for the night. I wish others did the same. :)

KD0ZV Rating: 1/5 Aug 30, 2017 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Try again  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a mess. Over complicated and hard to setup. Not sure what they were thinking when they created this. But a huge disappointment. Switch computers and you can start the process all over.

KG4RUL Rating: 0/5 Aug 30, 2017 10:23 Send this review to a friend
HIGHLY Overrated!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Signing up is cumbersome and harks back to the days of the cold war (PSST - Do you have any launch codes?). Correcting any problems plunges you into the abyss. This is a hobby activity and does not need this level of nit-picking security. I will continue to QSL via paper.

K4DL Rating: 1/5 Aug 30, 2017 06:41 Send this review to a friend
Poorly designed program  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you get set up, which is a real pain, I hope you never have any issues. They will treat you like an idiot and never really give you answers. I hate it and may not renew my ARRl membership because some of that money is used for this garbage.

KA4PXK Rating: 1/5 Apr 12, 2017 05:05 Send this review to a friend
A pain in the rear  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had poor results with LBOTW, I get a much higher return, with sending cards, I don't have to convert to several formats for differing Awards programs although that is changing, and with a printout of my computer log or using my paper log I don't have to then go and enter the data, and upload it. Although I have over 110 countries and 47 states from my QTH, I have many more physical QSL cards or EQSLs than LBOTW which the League doesn't recognize and then I have to contact the Station and ask them if I need them for an Award such as WAS or DXCC to please send it to the League or mail them a card and envelope with 3 green stamps either to them or their manager. If you go to a new call like I did then it becomes a nightmare. Contact the League, get the new call input to the LBOTW, contact the stations,
make sure the 2 year or more dead call isn't mixed up, it becomes a lot of work. It was easier in the 80s and 90s

W9TAM Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2017 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Not perfect, but makes it easier to apply for ARRL awards  Time owned: more than 12 months
LoTW gets a 4 from me because of the time and effort to register. I concur with a couple comments of previous reviewers:

- It's good once you get registered and set it up with your logger. The registration process is cumbersome, but it is worth following through.

- It's not a logbook application on its own, and should probably be called "QSLs of the World." You use it as a companion to your logbook.

My tips:

- Don't let your certificate expire. I did, and my request for a replacement got stuck in a queue for a week at ARRL (probably because I entered the address of my QTH rather than my mailing address in the FCC database, which is different). I had to email for help, and never received a human reply, but my request magically got approved on the same day I sent the email.

- Back up your TQSL configuration once you have your certificate loaded and location(s) set up. Use the TQSL backup function to do this. It will save all your certificates, locations, and preferences. I had a computer crash and had backups of my log data and the certificate, but it's a lot easier to get running again if you have a full TQSL configuration backup. You can even easily set up an automatic configuration backup.

Beyond the registration process, I only have minor gripes. The LoTW website looks like it was designed in the late '90s. I'm guessing the design has never been updated, but this is no different from most ham software. In late 2016, functionality was added to allow users to set their own passwords. I'm glad the ARRL finally realized that randomly generated single-case alphanumeric 8-character passwords cannot be considered secure today.

My only complaint of any real substance is that I can't simply delete QSOs that I have later found I accidentally entered and submitted incorrectly. Instead, I have to correct it in my logbook app and re-upload to LoTW, which in most cases creates a second record for what is really the same QSO. (To be fair, this has only happened with a few QSOs I'd quickly logged on paper and entered later, where I had mistyped the date or time into my logbook app.) The perfectionist in me would love for the QSO number in my logbook app to exactly match what's in LoTW, but I'll survive.

Oh, and I wish every ham used it. Sure beats paying to send and receive cards to get awards. I have a 54% LoTW QSL rate as of today, which appears to be better than the average. Not sure if I'll get DXCC entirely through LoTW, but I sure am going to try.

Go through the process and set it up. It's nice to log in once a day and see new QSLs.

N7XCZ Rating: 3/5 Sep 26, 2016 10:42 Send this review to a friend
its ok  Time owned: more than 12 months
If somehow QRZ and LOTW could combine then you would have something!!! I like ease of use with QRZ and I like the Award tracking of LOTW Face it the ARRL kind of has a Monopoly on the Awards program they have been around the Longest
I use Qrz to upload all of my contacts to LOTW and so far this for me is the best way to go and I Use LOTW to track Various totals for band and mode
I use N3FJP for my own Ham Log and as a Backup in case either QRZ or LOTW goes belly up Ha ha 73 to all DE N7XCZ