Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW
ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Reviews: 527 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $00.00
Description: LoTW ... is a repository of log records submitted by users from around the world. When both participants in a QSO submit matching QSO records to LoTW, the result is a QSL that can be used for ARRL award credit.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

K6SBA Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2014 09:03 Send this review to a friend
I'm Puzzled  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used LotW since its inception, and have had no problems with the installation, upgrading, renewing, or installing on a new computer. I have double the number of my verified DX QSL's since I started using LotW.

I realize there are a large number of capable and experienced hams who have just the opposite experience. I find this very puzzling.

Some people are frustrated with the number of times LotW goes offline. In my experience this seems to happens more often after a big contests with, I assume, lots of uploads. It's not my bank account or my 401(k), so these interruptions are pretty low on the scale of things for me.

I am puzzled why this program is relatively simple for some (including me) and a nightmare for others. There just doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern or explanation.

In comparison, I have a huge number of paper QSL's to DX stations which have never been answered. At an average cost of $3-4 dollars for postage both ways, this is a much greater irritation than anything encountered with LotW.

73 to both the haters and lovers of LotW,
David K6SBA
Santa Barbara, CA

K7ZOV Rating: 1/5 May 18, 2014 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Good idea but stinks  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Been a ham since 1963. Now 66 yrs old. Spent almost 40 yrs in electronics. Hands on computer and MPU design and programming, Was a program manager many times over the years and had to manage both hardware designers and programmers. If any of my programmers wrote a crap program like this I would have fired him/her without thinking twice. Bloatware software with too many so called "safe guards" that are complicated, over kill, and for most people who have little to know programming background way to hard to use. Yes there are others who find the program good. Some people like Phoenix at 125 degrees and other like the Arctic at -120 degrees also. That does not make them wrong, it is just not for the majority of the population. The same goes here. It works great some some, so-so for other but the vast majority are using eQSL, QRZ.COM, cards or nothing. The ARRL is basically a good organization. They had done real stupid once in my 51 yrs as a ham, anyone remember incentive licensing. Dumb really dumb. Now we have dumb squared and egos at the ARRL that don't seem to give a damn about the vast majority of the world hams who would love to use the program but can't. Or have computer crash or change to a better one and have to spend hours trying to get logged back in. Some are still trying. If you like the program, GREAT. The vast majority of the world hates it. Sometime the truth is hard to accept. I am no dummy when it comes to computers and programming. It was hard, very hard, for me to get set-up and still hard to use, if not almost impossible. ARRL wake up! If any of you are reading this then fire the idiot who did it and hire a programmer who is a ham who thinks like a real person and not some computer geek. I have never written a bad review for anything. This is the first and the hopefully the last.

N7KFD Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2014 20:51 Send this review to a friend
Easy as Pie  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with KV1P, it's easy to setup and most logging programs make uploading and downloading seamless and version 2 makes it even easier to use as a stand alone setup. It's saved me a lot of money on postage and now QRZ has an interface for it. It beats the pants off of snail mail any day and I say thanks ARRL, keep up the good work!

K7FD Rating: 2/5 May 18, 2014 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Dumped it after one year  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A year was long enough suffering with LoTW; I quit working DX because of it...

KV1P Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2014 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Site  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can only say if you can read English and able to follow directions there should not be any problems. Been using it for over 10 years, and very pleased with the results. Have over 2000 qsls to my credit that's a big saving in postage!

NG0Z Rating: 1/5 May 18, 2014 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Sucks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There is no excuse in this day and age for a website to have this many outages and blank page responses when trying to check your QSL's or upload QSO's from your logging program. What a joke. The ARRL should be embarrassed. eQSL is flawless and perfect every time.

AI8O Rating: 1/5 Apr 23, 2014 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Poor documentation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a major malware infestation, and had to reload the OS and everything kelse on my laptop. Lost all tokens,presets, etc.
The TSQ file was of course lost along with everything else.
I have not been able to follow the instructions on the ARRL website because I don't have log-in credentials, and I can't create a new account because an account already exists for AI8O.

ZL3TRR Rating: 0/5 Apr 23, 2014 01:33 Send this review to a friend
NOT USER FRIENDLY  Time owned: more than 12 months
I find this site and program to complicated and its not user friendly.

The site needs a complete revamp.

I have only 4000 QSO's yet the site says I have 6000 and when I tried ask why I got a grumpy old man who was not interested in fixing problem.

As for getting the certificates to upload logs again to complicated.

I wont be uploading my log again

That's my two cents worth.

IZ5LJB Rating: 1/5 Apr 19, 2014 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Too much security & complications  Time owned: more than 12 months

I have been a Lotw user from some years now and I do sincerely appreciate the idea and the work that ARRL does with LOTW and I am thankful.

Anyway the "digital signature certificate file" is an exaggerated kind of security level and, often, both the lotw-log and/or TQSL become quite complicated to handle, even for a quite expert computer user like I am.

I really believe that a good standard of security, like, for example the one I use for my internet banking :-), maybe with telephone, identity card and national database call-sign check, will be ok and that there is really no need for high level encrypted digital signature certificate files "military style" that make all things much more complicated and difficult to interface.

It will be good if lotw + eqsl.cc and qrz.com confirmations (and others) could be used "together", to certificate our QSOs in different ways.

For these reasons and difficulties I believe that LOTW is not used so much by worldwide ham operators.

For example, I receive, almost daily, automatic QSOs confirmations from qrz.com and qsl.cc and only a few any 2 or 3 months from Lotw log...

I believe, honestly, that Lotw unfortunately, at the present, is a quite "poor" (my rating is 1) and complicated platform, even if I will continue to use it and I thank ARRL for their work and help.

Max

K0KL Rating: 4/5 Apr 17, 2014 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Works swell!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Earlier I expressed my frustration with the system and the lack of help. Included is a lack of concise explanations to a non- digital knowledgeable person.
With the help of a friendly Elmer who saw my review I have LOTW working.
It does as advertised, works well, interfaces with DXCC et all. I thoroughly enjoy using it, the folks that built it did a good job.
As stated elsewhere, we need a tech writer to come up with non- engineering directions. I am now a happy camper having given birth to triplets (or so it seems).