Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW
ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Reviews: 534 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $00.00
Description: LoTW ... is a repository of log records submitted by users from around the world. When both participants in a QSO submit matching QSO records to LoTW, the result is a QSL that can be used for ARRL award credit.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2014 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Easy Peasy, really!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I suffered a hard drive crash on system where loTW lives. Had I done a backup of the certificate as suggested in ARRL loTW, of course not, I'm a guy and we don't back up anything!!

Well, with Katherine (KA1RWY) from ARRL help, getting a new certificate was a piece of cake and I'm back up uploading my log files to ARRL loTW again!!

My only observation about all this, specific loTW help answers on the ARRL website are very difficult to find, their index system is no where to be found, FAQ's leave a lot to be desired, but fortunely at the end of FAQ's is a means to create a help ticket.....and KA1RWY comes to the rescue!!

Cheers All

KF2E Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2014 18:25 Send this review to a friend
LOTW --- Setup not a big deal  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, it takes a little effort to get everything setup but it isn't a big deal. Other than the wait it went just as they described.

I love being able to confirm contacts quickly and cheaply. Many times I have a confirmation the day after my contact. I often wait years...yes, years for bureau confirmations.

I really don't understand why more people don't use this. It works, is free(other than awards) and other than the delay setting it up works as advertised.

WA4GQG Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2014 06:29 Send this review to a friend
Great System!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am grateful to the ARRL for LoTW and wish more hams used it. My LoTW experience has been 99% without issue. I did once have a problem while trying to install a renewed cerificate; it took all of 3 or 4 minutes to correct... Kevin WA4GQG

N8YQX Rating: 2/5 May 27, 2014 18:00 Send this review to a friend
High level security... for what???  Time owned: more than 12 months
LoTW is an economical alternative to paper QSL for confirming QSOs for ARRL awards. With that being said, I don't understand the multiple levels of security required to upload the log data.

Initially, I thought the multiple levels of security would mean the quality of data would be high. However, I found out recently that such isn't the case, and the ARRL isn't interested in the accuracy of the data (specifically, state information missing from land based CONUS station). Even after I brought this to their attention, with specific log entries, I was told in no uncertain terms that it wasn't their concern.

If they aren't interested in quality data, they need to drop the excessive security, and rely on user/pass and SSL like any other secure server. My bank, my 401k, my credit card, and other high security hosts don't require me to install their own software, why should the ARRL be any different?

K4KRW Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2014 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using LOTW since early in its existence. It has always worked well for me.

Recently I went to renew my certificates and made a mistake with my certificate renewal request. I emailed support and they very quickly remedied the problem in an elegant and fabulous way which will prevent me from having my same issue when I renew next time. Every time I have contacted support they have been courteous and helpful. Thanks!

I just don't understand why so many reviewers have had such issues with LOTW. Yes, you have to jump through a few (very small) hoops to get going. If you use a good logging software package, it is really pretty easy. Once you have your logging software configured, there really isn't much to it.

I will say that where I have found fault with the process has almost always been less than clear configuration instructions from the makers of the logging software. Once I figure out what LOTW values they want in what fields, things work great.

I have found fault with some logging software packages which had Rube Goldberg like add on programs to accomplish the sending and retrieving of logs. It should be seamless.

I currently use LOG4OM and it handles LOTW quite well.

KF7CG Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2014 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Solid Usable, Not flashy but so what the radio is what is suppo  Time owned: more than 12 months
LOTW is no problem for me. Not terrifically polished, but it is solid and gives a good percentage of QSLs per QSO logged. My percentage is 49.6, get about 24 with EQSL, and about 30 with paper.

No problem with keeping a backup of my digital certificate or changing it between computers. Even running LOTW from two different computers for the same call.

Of course I do "legacey" software and SQL database programming for a living, so that may explain it.

KF7CG

AF5DN Rating: 1/5 May 19, 2014 13:18 Send this review to a friend
It's Acronym is …..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Seemingly Useless Complicated of Kind Software.

I just want to log my QSOs, NOT send highly sensitive financial documents, trade secrets, or government spy lists.
Are they kidding with the whole sending a top-secret code on a post card in the mail?
A web page with a SSL certificate should be all that is needed. Why do I need to prove it’ me? I send them my dues, is that not enough?

K6SBA Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2014 09:03 Send this review to a friend
I'm Puzzled  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used LotW since its inception, and have had no problems with the installation, upgrading, renewing, or installing on a new computer. I have double the number of my verified DX QSL's since I started using LotW.

I realize there are a large number of capable and experienced hams who have just the opposite experience. I find this very puzzling.

Some people are frustrated with the number of times LotW goes offline. In my experience this seems to happens more often after a big contests with, I assume, lots of uploads. It's not my bank account or my 401(k), so these interruptions are pretty low on the scale of things for me.

I am puzzled why this program is relatively simple for some (including me) and a nightmare for others. There just doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern or explanation.

In comparison, I have a huge number of paper QSL's to DX stations which have never been answered. At an average cost of $3-4 dollars for postage both ways, this is a much greater irritation than anything encountered with LotW.

73 to both the haters and lovers of LotW,
David K6SBA
Santa Barbara, CA

K7ZOV Rating: 1/5 May 18, 2014 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Good idea but stinks  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Been a ham since 1963. Now 66 yrs old. Spent almost 40 yrs in electronics. Hands on computer and MPU design and programming, Was a program manager many times over the years and had to manage both hardware designers and programmers. If any of my programmers wrote a crap program like this I would have fired him/her without thinking twice. Bloatware software with too many so called "safe guards" that are complicated, over kill, and for most people who have little to know programming background way to hard to use. Yes there are others who find the program good. Some people like Phoenix at 125 degrees and other like the Arctic at -120 degrees also. That does not make them wrong, it is just not for the majority of the population. The same goes here. It works great some some, so-so for other but the vast majority are using eQSL, QRZ.COM, cards or nothing. The ARRL is basically a good organization. They had done real stupid once in my 51 yrs as a ham, anyone remember incentive licensing. Dumb really dumb. Now we have dumb squared and egos at the ARRL that don't seem to give a damn about the vast majority of the world hams who would love to use the program but can't. Or have computer crash or change to a better one and have to spend hours trying to get logged back in. Some are still trying. If you like the program, GREAT. The vast majority of the world hates it. Sometime the truth is hard to accept. I am no dummy when it comes to computers and programming. It was hard, very hard, for me to get set-up and still hard to use, if not almost impossible. ARRL wake up! If any of you are reading this then fire the idiot who did it and hire a programmer who is a ham who thinks like a real person and not some computer geek. I have never written a bad review for anything. This is the first and the hopefully the last.

N7KFD Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2014 20:51 Send this review to a friend
Easy as Pie  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with KV1P, it's easy to setup and most logging programs make uploading and downloading seamless and version 2 makes it even easier to use as a stand alone setup. It's saved me a lot of money on postage and now QRZ has an interface for it. It beats the pants off of snail mail any day and I say thanks ARRL, keep up the good work!