Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW
ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Reviews: 597 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $00.00
Description: LoTW ... is a repository of log records submitted by users from around the world. When both participants in a QSO submit matching QSO records to LoTW, the result is a QSL that can be used for ARRL award credit.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

KK7JS Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2015 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Works well, with one minor complaint  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've installed it on several machines, used multiple callsigns, and have not had any major issues. It's been a great way to make QSO confirmations quickly and economically. The one complaint I have is that I want some sort of delete QSO function - have made typos and other errors over several years of use that I want to clear away but can't.

K0RS Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2015 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Works fine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Why didn't I sign up for this sooner? I procrastinated because of the stories I'd heard about the difficulty of getting this up and running. Nonsense. Just follow ARRL's instructions and it will work for you the first time like it did for me.

N6XJP Rating: 1/5 Dec 10, 2015 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Fourth Attempt  Time owned: more than 12 months
Maybe we should rethink this and move it into this century. I am now into my fourth iteration to get this thing to work...my fifth or sixth password, who knows how many certs that are meaningless. Should it really be this difficult to keep people from cheating? Let them cheat! Only they will know the true value of their worthless QSLs. So for now...not able to join in any ARRL contests even though I pay my dues. Really wanted to do the 2016 year long activity...but alas...it requires LoTW. Not entirely sure I'll renew with ARRL again.

MM0TFU Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2015 06:21 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a LoTW user for several years and after some initial setup problems were ironed out (I re-read the instructions and followed them carefully) I have been a regular user, uploading my logs every few weeks.

Recently I had a major malfunction on my old laptop which was running XP, but I managed to save all the important stuff and transfer it to a new machine running Windows 10. One of the final things I needed to do was get LoTW back up and running. After several attempts to transfer my Certificates failed, I gave up. I was using an older version of TQSL and couldn't get the backup files saved and transferred. This was my fault for not updating to the latest version. I installed the latest version of TQSL and applied for new Certificates, which is a simple process that only requires filling in a few details and uploading it to the ARRL. Within 24 hours I had email confirmation with my new Certificates attached. A few mouse clicks later and everything was working as before.

I am no computer genius, but by carefully following the detailed instructions in the FAQ's I was able to do this easily and quickly.
I really don't understand all the negativity towards LoTW. I suspect that some of the people who complain about it don't fully understand what LoTW actually is. It's not a logging program, it is a means of confirming contacts which are logged elsewhere, and for these confirmations to have accuracy, validity and integrity, hence the security measures required when first registering. There are no pictures, no fancy QSL cards and it won't tell you about QSO's that you logged incorrectly. The data you upload must closely match the data uploaded by the other guy, otherwise you won't get a confirmation. But at least if you do get a confirmation it counts for something, and you can be sure of it's validity.

Yes, there are a few hoops to jump through, and you do need to supply the ARRL with some forms of identity but this is actually easier for US licence holders than it is for those outside the USA. After that, all that is required is to follow the instructions closely. If it is not working, you are doing something wrong and you will need to go back and examine every step until you figure out where you goofed up. More than likely, it will be something simple.

Thanks ARRL for providing a free service, and for keeping it tight. I hope you can sort out the details with the RSGB and we can soon use LoTW for IOTA confirmations.

VK4WTN Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2015 13:20 Send this review to a friend
works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After seeing many overcomplicated tutorials on how to use LOTW I was a bit apprehensive to use it.But I decided to go ahead and instal it and send for my key.It is so easy to use, I use DXkeeper for my logging program which makes LOTW so easy. It is great as paper cards can be so hard to get.I have already confirmed a new 6M country that I was unable to get a paper card from.
So dont worry about all the bad reviews it isnt hard to use

N8EHW Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2015 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent way to verify those QSO's  Time owned: more than 12 months
The benefits of this system far outweigh any minor problems that arise from time to time. It's a money saver for sure, and a stress reliever to boot. Worrying about QSL's arriving from some distant locations keep me awake at night. I don't really have a negative thing to say about the program.

DJ0RD Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2015 08:06 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!! Wouldn't want to be without.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm 76, yes 76!!, got it working fine, and that from Germany, I renewed my certificate in about 2 minutes, new version of TQSL installed without a blip. If you can't get it to work, in my opinion, you can't read and/or cannot follow instructions,

Vy 73 DJ0RD/WU5T

WB9MSM Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2015 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Great QSL Confirmation Program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I felt after reading a number of low rated reviews for this outstanding QSL confirmation and logging program that I needed to respond with my own review. First of all, sorry to those of you who for one reason or another are not using this great ARRL program. I have been using it for quite some time and I personally am very happy with how it works. Yes, it does take a bit of time to be able to actually use it. Remember this is a verification and confirmation process for ensuring that your contacts are legitimate. I assure all of you that are having difficulty with the enrollment process to actually TAKE YOUR TIME and follow the instructions very carefully that you will be successful getting it to work. The end results are absolutely AMAZING!!! I can not begin to tell all of you how much it has benefitted me. I am a true believer that if you do not succeed the first time try again! Just slow down and follow the instructions. It may take awhile because of the verification process but the results are certainly worth it. I ask others who enjoy this great program to come forward and share your own review to encourage those who are having difficulty with the enrollment process. Thank you ARRL for making this wonderful and cost saving program available for all of us 21st century hams throughout the world. It is truly wonderful to see so many rare DX stations using LoTW. 73 and see all of you in the pile-ups, Denny WB9MSM

K0KNX Rating: 0/5 Oct 2, 2015 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Atari 800 user  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A while back, I tried to get this thing to work again...no joy. This program is the main reason I decided not to renew my membership with the ARRL. This organization appears to enjoy being in the dark ages and refuses to get up to speed with modern society. As much as we all don't like it, it's ain't 1977 anymore. Did they write LOTW on a Commodore or a TRS-80?

WA6KYR Rating: 4/5 Sep 30, 2015 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Software is great once installed  Time owned: months
To install LOTW I contacted the ARRL years ago.
They were very helpful. Thanks to the ARRL for all they do to help our hobby in Congress.