Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW
ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Reviews: 527 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $00.00
Description: LoTW ... is a repository of log records submitted by users from around the world. When both participants in a QSO submit matching QSO records to LoTW, the result is a QSL that can be used for ARRL award credit.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

K0KL Rating: 1/5 Dec 20, 2013 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Awfully Poor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had no problem with LOTW and N3FJP program software working together. The new version of LOTW does not work for me. Last call to ARRL, though attempt to be partially helpful, was told "that's the logging program's problem". N3FJP does not have an easy way to get help.
As far as I'm concerned this whole thing stinks! No one to help, always blame the other guy.
I know I'm an analog guy lost in a digital world but this thing is useless without help!

HUMBUG I say!

N2LJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2013 10:07 Send this review to a friend
New TQSL makes for a better experience!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The recent release of TQSL 2.0 improves the LOTW experience for those of us who don't have LOTW upload built right into our log software.

Instead of two applications, and a separate upload with your web browser, everything can now be handled in TQSL 2.0. Sign & upload in one easy step. Certificates (requests and loads) are now handled by the same program that does the signing & uploading.

I tried one of the "release candidates" on my Mac for a while, and it was definitely "not ready for prime time". But the final product runs smoothly. I was able to sign & upload an ADIF from Sweepstakes with no trouble at all.

It would be nice if it had a more "Mac-like" front end, but that's a small quibble for an otherwise well-functioning product.

Now, if only everyone who says they use LOTW on their QRZ (or other) page actually uploaded to it...

KC2TKD Rating: 0/5 Nov 8, 2013 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Difficult to set up and use  Time owned: more than 12 months
LOTW worked until I renewed my callsign certificate last year. Since then every time I attempt to use the program I get nothing but error messages. I even downloaded a different logging program to no avail. Norm, at the ARRL informed me of a problem with the end date on the certificate, which should have been left blank so I cancelled that one and downloaded another. Same problems. I will no longer put any time into LOTW. I found previously that only 15% of QSO's would get confirmed anyway. I do not recommend this for anyone as it is not a stand alone log program and only a means for contact verification

K6CRC Rating: 3/5 Oct 18, 2013 21:46 Send this review to a friend
Getting there  Time owned: more than 12 months
Up from my last bad rating. Downloaded and started using TQSL 2.0 beta for Mac. Works well. Renewed Cert with no problem. Last time, took several hours, half dozen emails and two phone calls to ARRL. I assume they are/will address the other issues noted in the many comments here. A progress report would be nice...

How about an aggressive marketing of LoTW to DX and Expedition sites? Several recent DXpeditions are not using LoTW.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2013 10:24 Send this review to a friend
4 DXCC awards within one week  Time owned: more than 12 months
Applied for 12/17/30/DIGITAL DXCC on Oct. 1. Awards were posted in the US on Oct. 2. Mailman delivered them today in OE, Oct. 8. Enough said, applying for awards has never been easier. If you can read and follow instruction it will save you a lot of time and money.

K3PRN Rating: 4/5 Sep 23, 2013 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Long Procedure  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I downloaded the directions for processing a LOTW for my station. The instructions are a bit different than the current download. I had a problem and called the ARRL. W1ZFG at the LOTW help phone number #314 was patient and very helpful. He walked me through the final steps and everything works very well.I inquired as why such a procedure was being used and they stated (from an earlier call) that many people try to cheat to get the DXCC! I was a bit surprised! My other surprise is how few DX stations use LOTW! I am all set and hope more foreign hams sign up for LOTW.

VE7RE Rating: 0/5 Sep 14, 2013 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Total Crap  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can not believe in this day and age the ARRL has chosen the most difficult awkward and cumbersome way possible to implement security in to a "a hem" logging program. Talk about having to jump through hoops. For what? I did not find it at all difficult to set up or use, It's just plain stupid and time consuming how they have gone about it. Furthermore after you get your certificate and use it for a while, it expires and you have to go through all this mess again. What a waste of time. In any event, I am done with it and will not waste another minute requesting another certificate that they don't respond to. Good grief what a load of crap!

K1PJR Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2013 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Works well!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my password in the mail, logged on and uploaded my log. Works fine. No issues. I give it a thumbs up!

K1PJR Rating: 4/5 Aug 22, 2013 10:20 Send this review to a friend
So far so good.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my postcard after emailing the TQ5 file. The first thing I did was to download the instructions. I had no issues downloading the software and creating the TQ5 file. Very smooth. Tonight I will enter the postcard info and wait for an email with the TQ6 file.

I have to say that although this is a straightforward process it does seem a bit much. After all this is a hobby not the NSA. I'll have to wait another three days before I receive the TQ6 file. I'm not complaining. The complete process will have taken about 10 days but I would think there is a simpler way.

Once Lotw is up and running I will upload my log from the N3FJP logging software (BTW, very nice software). I'll be back afterwards with my final assessment.

KG7A Rating: 2/5 Aug 21, 2013 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Sofware tech support  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I donít want to bore you on this and I don't want to have a negative opinion with the setup of LOTW, but I do. I started using computers since my Father worked of IBM in Chicago with the old tape cassettes. Used a 8088 Dos program and studied Dos 3.1 at DeVry back in 1994. Built my computer in 1999 with the help of Arizona State University using Windows 95, 98, Windows 2000 Pro, and Windows ME. Every system is different. Now using 2 computers: a Gateway laptop Windows XP, and an iMac i3 OS, I still have a problem. The Problem: No Technical Support with the LOTW installation. It really doesn't break my heart making things easier for DX logging if I win an Award or not even though it would be nice since I'm a fast CW advocate, and I've got FISTS Awards.

I tried downloading the Tqsl certificate and sending it and no respond. So now What? Maybe you can help me out here because even my elmer who has the LOTW program, helped me download it on my laptop and: No Response with a postcard and password.

Another question is why is it that the ARRL sends the postcard with your password on it. Shouldn't that be private? Ok!!! Not a big deal for me. I still read up on technical issues on electronics and love getting on the air. To be a part of DX contesting would be great, but with this wrench in the gear, there has to be another way for an easier software for the average ham operator to make the hobby more interesting and to pursue their passion in DXing. After all it's up to us to keep this hobby interesting, Just like Apple, who got consumers interested in the high tech electronic communication world of today, and they have tech support. So maybe you can help me here! Please Advise...

Thanks for your Review comments on eHam and Vy 73, Ronny KG7A