Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW
ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Reviews: 546 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $00.00
Description: LoTW ... is a repository of log records submitted by users from around the world. When both participants in a QSO submit matching QSO records to LoTW, the result is a QSL that can be used for ARRL award credit.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

WB9MSM Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2014 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely GREAT!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I think the ARRL did an absolutely fantastic job with giving amateurs an opportunity to confirm their QSO's on-line. Very pleased with watching my DX count increase without having to pay postage. Yes there are fees but I feel that this is a minimum with all things being considered. You have to follow guidelines and directions with getting your call sign certified but the end result is certainly worth it. Cheers to the ARRL for ensuring that the on-line certification QSO process is available for all hams to use.

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Apr 2, 2014 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Patience!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As a retired IT manager I know what the certificate is all about and where I managed a huge system our company paid Cisco System a lot of $$$ to automate the cert system....a lot of money!! Getting your certificate is, IMO, straight forward as long as you follow the process to the letter.

LoTW works as designed....so my big gripe is the ARRL's help system and documentation sucks....way poor in my opinion. It obviously was written by the programmers for programers...bad move ARRL This is a really common problem in the tech world. Any software we designed in house, once sorta ready we'd shoot the engineers (just kidding!!) then hire/create a group to test it and this works, but it's not until it goes out to hundreds or thousands of users that the real problems surface. It always amazed me what average folks could do to the perfectly-running program, just ask Microsoft.

My number one recommendation is to use a commercial logging program, many are free and most hams are notoriously cheapskates so....HI

I use Scott's N3FJP logging program which I love and he was there every step of the way helping get up and running on LoTW.....his modest fee was well worth the money for his expert help.

Cheers All

ON6SX Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2014 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Happy that it exist  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use LoTW a few years,never problems with it.
Even after a total computer crash i had no problems to fix LoTW again.
I got a lot of qsl from people who has no bureau.
Nice work ARRL!

SY1AKE Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2014 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Exists & works 100%  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Exists,works 100% and we confirm our QSOs.

KU8V Rating: 4/5 Apr 2, 2014 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Please, people! Be grateful you have LoTW  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, it is not instantaneous to set up. Yes, it takes some reading and forethought to implement it. If it was instantaneous, without the postcard process and file authentication, people would be complaining that the system is too easy to cheat.

Without LoTW, I would never have taken the time and postage to request and collect paper cards (especially to exotic locales) and then collate them and send them in. I would never have gotten certified WAS and DXCC, and that is a big reward for me personally.

It takes maybe one minute to export entries from my log program (HRD), convert it to the authenticated file, and upload it to LoTW.

It's a little difficult to understand all the wailing and complaining about the program and the system. I am grateful for it, and appreciate ARRL having it - a BIG contribution to the hobby.

WD0M Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2014 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Easy to Use - Works Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a user since its inception. Easy to install, great help from ARRL if needed, and the DX Lab interface makes it seamless to log and upload QSO information. I have 323 worked, and 297 confirmed through LOTW. Can't beat it.

DJ0RD Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2014 01:37 Send this review to a friend
Still works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just painlessly renewed my certificate. Don't know why people say it is slow, uploaded my log after two QSOs (Azerbaijan and Afghanistan). They were confirmed in less than 5 minutes!! PS: I'm now 74 and had no problem getting it working after really carefully reading and following the instructions. I use it with Winlog 32.

Vy 73 de Bob DJ0RD/WU5T

W9FI Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2014 22:47 Send this review to a friend
Very efficient with the right companion software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had been using LOTW sparingly for several years, but that's changed now that I've found some software that really exploits its strengths. For the past few months I've been using it with DXLab's DXKeeper and the results have been nothing short of extraordinary. A strong performer (LOTW) has been made even more effective by using another program that interfaces well with it. If you don't like the DXLab suite, then find another piece of software that works well with it; something that will allow you to select QSOs for submission with a single mouse click, and which will upload the batch to the LOTW database with another click. Once you get the process down you'll be able to painlessly update QSOs. It puts the whole QSL confirmation process into high gear.

I've been able to use this "new-to-me" process to drastically speed up my QSL confirmations, and to significantly lower my QSLing costs. The confirmation process can be amazingly quick. For example, I worked a station in Afghanistan a few days ago, electronically logged the QSO, and immediately uploaded it to LOTW. Three hours later I had a confirmation credit waiting in my inbox. That's extraordinary. I chase a country for 25 years, finally log a QSO in the morning, and get a guaranteed confirmation before lunchtime.

Using the older QSL-card method, that confirmation would have cost me a few bucks to get the necessary foreign postage stamps (his manager is in eastern Europe), to send the card and the SASE to his manager, and to await his reply. The return QSL would have taken several weeks at a minimum to get, not to mention the extra time necessary to file the endorsement paperwork at the DXCC desk. If you work somebody who updates his QSOs quickly, LOTW can streamline this process from weeks or months down to hours or less.

I'm at that point in my ham career where I'm looking for a secure, rapid confirmation of the QSO and not for the QSL card itself. LOTW fits my needs perfectly. If I really want the card I'll send one via the bureau and expect to see a reply in a year or so.

In summary, LOTW has been one of the best services that the ARRL has ever done. Now that I'm using it frequently, I can't imagine doing without it.

K7LA Rating: 4/5 Apr 1, 2014 20:19 Send this review to a friend
It's Getting There, Slowly  Time owned: more than 12 months
I won't echo some of the previous complaints that have been documented. On a positive note, LoTW interfaces with DX4WIN logging program easily. TQSL v2.0 has gone a long way to simplify the upload process. My experience with LoTW has been relatively painless, but I enjoy using Clublog a lot more for DX related matters.

The ARRL needs to address the issue of getting overseas hams more involved in using LoTW and the key to that would be foreign language support. Start with the big three (French, German and Spanish) then branch out to Japanese and Mandarin. Surely there are enough IARU member associations and academics that could assist on these materials. 73 de K7LA, ARRL VE

N0AG Rating: 2/5 Apr 1, 2014 20:08 Send this review to a friend
LOTW...It's a love-hate relationship  Time owned: more than 12 months
Really don't know how anyone can give it a 5/5. It's kind of the Obamacare site of the Ham radio world i.e. A great idea & a fantastically poor IT implementation. I, myself have been on & off the site. The ARRL has an extraordinary ability to take a simple concept and make it so user complex as to make it almost unusable. (See ARRL.org) Would you like to see a user friendly website? Go to Amazon.com

OK. So how to fix it? If anyone should have the ability to figure out if one is a legitimate amateur radio operator it should be the ARRL.
1.)Make it SIMPLE.
2.) Have a one time sign up process.
3.) Implement a ARRL OQRS system i.e. become the worlds QSL Buro, an online conduit for QSLing.

Just my 2 cents...I think that just like Obamacare, LOTW will eventually morph into something like the goal was originally intended to be.
73, NĜAG