Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW
ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Reviews: 541 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $00.00
Description: LoTW ... is a repository of log records submitted by users from around the world. When both participants in a QSO submit matching QSO records to LoTW, the result is a QSL that can be used for ARRL award credit.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

WD0M Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2014 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Easy to Use - Works Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a user since its inception. Easy to install, great help from ARRL if needed, and the DX Lab interface makes it seamless to log and upload QSO information. I have 323 worked, and 297 confirmed through LOTW. Can't beat it.

DJ0RD Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2014 01:37 Send this review to a friend
Still works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just painlessly renewed my certificate. Don't know why people say it is slow, uploaded my log after two QSOs (Azerbaijan and Afghanistan). They were confirmed in less than 5 minutes!! PS: I'm now 74 and had no problem getting it working after really carefully reading and following the instructions. I use it with Winlog 32.

Vy 73 de Bob DJ0RD/WU5T

W9FI Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2014 22:47 Send this review to a friend
Very efficient with the right companion software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had been using LOTW sparingly for several years, but that's changed now that I've found some software that really exploits its strengths. For the past few months I've been using it with DXLab's DXKeeper and the results have been nothing short of extraordinary. A strong performer (LOTW) has been made even more effective by using another program that interfaces well with it. If you don't like the DXLab suite, then find another piece of software that works well with it; something that will allow you to select QSOs for submission with a single mouse click, and which will upload the batch to the LOTW database with another click. Once you get the process down you'll be able to painlessly update QSOs. It puts the whole QSL confirmation process into high gear.

I've been able to use this "new-to-me" process to drastically speed up my QSL confirmations, and to significantly lower my QSLing costs. The confirmation process can be amazingly quick. For example, I worked a station in Afghanistan a few days ago, electronically logged the QSO, and immediately uploaded it to LOTW. Three hours later I had a confirmation credit waiting in my inbox. That's extraordinary. I chase a country for 25 years, finally log a QSO in the morning, and get a guaranteed confirmation before lunchtime.

Using the older QSL-card method, that confirmation would have cost me a few bucks to get the necessary foreign postage stamps (his manager is in eastern Europe), to send the card and the SASE to his manager, and to await his reply. The return QSL would have taken several weeks at a minimum to get, not to mention the extra time necessary to file the endorsement paperwork at the DXCC desk. If you work somebody who updates his QSOs quickly, LOTW can streamline this process from weeks or months down to hours or less.

I'm at that point in my ham career where I'm looking for a secure, rapid confirmation of the QSO and not for the QSL card itself. LOTW fits my needs perfectly. If I really want the card I'll send one via the bureau and expect to see a reply in a year or so.

In summary, LOTW has been one of the best services that the ARRL has ever done. Now that I'm using it frequently, I can't imagine doing without it.

K7LA Rating: 4/5 Apr 1, 2014 20:19 Send this review to a friend
It's Getting There, Slowly  Time owned: more than 12 months
I won't echo some of the previous complaints that have been documented. On a positive note, LoTW interfaces with DX4WIN logging program easily. TQSL v2.0 has gone a long way to simplify the upload process. My experience with LoTW has been relatively painless, but I enjoy using Clublog a lot more for DX related matters.

The ARRL needs to address the issue of getting overseas hams more involved in using LoTW and the key to that would be foreign language support. Start with the big three (French, German and Spanish) then branch out to Japanese and Mandarin. Surely there are enough IARU member associations and academics that could assist on these materials. 73 de K7LA, ARRL VE

N0AG Rating: 2/5 Apr 1, 2014 20:08 Send this review to a friend
LOTW...It's a love-hate relationship  Time owned: more than 12 months
Really don't know how anyone can give it a 5/5. It's kind of the Obamacare site of the Ham radio world i.e. A great idea & a fantastically poor IT implementation. I, myself have been on & off the site. The ARRL has an extraordinary ability to take a simple concept and make it so user complex as to make it almost unusable. (See ARRL.org) Would you like to see a user friendly website? Go to Amazon.com

OK. So how to fix it? If anyone should have the ability to figure out if one is a legitimate amateur radio operator it should be the ARRL.
1.)Make it SIMPLE.
2.) Have a one time sign up process.
3.) Implement a ARRL OQRS system i.e. become the worlds QSL Buro, an online conduit for QSLing.

Just my 2 cents...I think that just like Obamacare, LOTW will eventually morph into something like the goal was originally intended to be.
73, NĜAG

K7JBQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2014 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Follow instructions  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had it up to here with folks bitching about how difficult LOTW is.

If you can follow instructions to the letter, in sequence, LOTW is easy. If you can't, or won't, you shouldn't be using software.

Bill

KK8ZZ Rating: 1/5 Apr 1, 2014 16:18 Send this review to a friend
disaster for ARRL  Time owned: more than 12 months
LOTW has proven to be cumbersome, obtuse to use, confusing to many, and probably a major PR disaster to ARRL (I'm a Life Member). While I've deciphered it and made it work, Google it and see the comments. Some hams feel trapped between wanting to qualify for awards and the cumbersome interface that requires them. Surprisingly, or not, many hams are NOT computer savvy and have a very difficult time with LOTW.... ARRL really made a mistake here... perhaps later versions will correct it.

VA3RKO Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2014 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Works for me 100%  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using LoTW for over four years now with no problems. I've had certificates re-issued a few times as well with no difficulty. I also managed to move the software to a diferent computer system easily with the Version 2 TQSL. Instructions on their website are now clear and concise and the new Ver 2 TQSL software is easy to use. Customer support has also been good. Intergrated with HRD V6.1, I've managed DXCC on 10, 15, 20 and 40 meter bands through LoTW and now working on 80 meters. QSL cards would have cost me a fortune. I've had twice as many confirmations on LoTW than on eQSL. Thanks LoTW.

K1OYQ Rating: 1/5 Mar 31, 2014 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Still Too Slow  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have not changed my opinion of LOTW. It continues to have many problems and runs far too slow for a "World Class" online log program. I hear the defenders out there that think it is the greatest thing since canned beer, but the ARRL has taken far too long to address the problems. More committees aren't going to solve the issues it has. They should have jumped on this well over a year ago and they are just now looking for full time programmers - duh! I'm loosing patients with it. eQSL still works faster and more reliable and costs less as does Clublog. Why half the time I can't even log onto the thing. UNSATISFACTORY!!!

K1OYQ

K6CRC Rating: 3/5 Feb 20, 2014 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Getting there  Time owned: more than 12 months
ARRL seems to be addressing the problems. TQSL 2.0 for Mac is light years ahead of the previous version. Good work. Website is still clumsy to use in my opinion.

My issue has alway been that the ARRL wants to be the voice of Ham Radio and on the 'cutting edge', yet their most visible product, LoTW, is a mess. You can do Facebook, Twitter, etc all day, but if the most visible product is 10 years behind the times, you will not be seen as a leading edge organization.

Glad to see that the are finally budgeting to fix the system. Take all the money being used to 'save' UHF bands that no one cares about and use if to fix the most visible system, LoTW

Next step is to do an outreach to DXpeditions. Consider financial incentives to get all of them to use LoTW. Since they cannot make money off of LoTW, vs ClubLog, ARRL needs to get creative.