Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW
ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW Reviews: 553 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $00.00
Description: LoTW ... is a repository of log records submitted by users from around the world. When both participants in a QSO submit matching QSO records to LoTW, the result is a QSL that can be used for ARRL award credit.
More info: http://www.arrl.org/lotw/

You can write your own review of the ARRL - Logbook of the World - LoTW.

KV1P Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2014 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Site  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can only say if you can read English and able to follow directions there should not be any problems. Been using it for over 10 years, and very pleased with the results. Have over 2000 qsls to my credit that's a big saving in postage!

NG0Z Rating: 1/5 May 18, 2014 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Sucks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There is no excuse in this day and age for a website to have this many outages and blank page responses when trying to check your QSL's or upload QSO's from your logging program. What a joke. The ARRL should be embarrassed. eQSL is flawless and perfect every time.

AI8O Rating: 1/5 Apr 23, 2014 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Poor documentation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a major malware infestation, and had to reload the OS and everything kelse on my laptop. Lost all tokens,presets, etc.
The TSQ file was of course lost along with everything else.
I have not been able to follow the instructions on the ARRL website because I don't have log-in credentials, and I can't create a new account because an account already exists for AI8O.

ZL3TRR Rating: 0/5 Apr 23, 2014 01:33 Send this review to a friend
NOT USER FRIENDLY  Time owned: more than 12 months
I find this site and program to complicated and its not user friendly.

The site needs a complete revamp.

I have only 4000 QSO's yet the site says I have 6000 and when I tried ask why I got a grumpy old man who was not interested in fixing problem.

As for getting the certificates to upload logs again to complicated.

I wont be uploading my log again

That's my two cents worth.

IZ5LJB Rating: 1/5 Apr 19, 2014 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Too much security & complications  Time owned: more than 12 months

I have been a Lotw user from some years now and I do sincerely appreciate the idea and the work that ARRL does with LOTW and I am thankful.

Anyway the "digital signature certificate file" is an exaggerated kind of security level and, often, both the lotw-log and/or TQSL become quite complicated to handle, even for a quite expert computer user like I am.

I really believe that a good standard of security, like, for example the one I use for my internet banking :-), maybe with telephone, identity card and national database call-sign check, will be ok and that there is really no need for high level encrypted digital signature certificate files "military style" that make all things much more complicated and difficult to interface.

It will be good if lotw + eqsl.cc and qrz.com confirmations (and others) could be used "together", to certificate our QSOs in different ways.

For these reasons and difficulties I believe that LOTW is not used so much by worldwide ham operators.

For example, I receive, almost daily, automatic QSOs confirmations from qrz.com and qsl.cc and only a few any 2 or 3 months from Lotw log...

I believe, honestly, that Lotw unfortunately, at the present, is a quite "poor" (my rating is 1) and complicated platform, even if I will continue to use it and I thank ARRL for their work and help.

Max

K0KL Rating: 4/5 Apr 17, 2014 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Works swell!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Earlier I expressed my frustration with the system and the lack of help. Included is a lack of concise explanations to a non- digital knowledgeable person.
With the help of a friendly Elmer who saw my review I have LOTW working.
It does as advertised, works well, interfaces with DXCC et all. I thoroughly enjoy using it, the folks that built it did a good job.
As stated elsewhere, we need a tech writer to come up with non- engineering directions. I am now a happy camper having given birth to triplets (or so it seems).

NC1T Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2014 10:20 Send this review to a friend
very useful  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Somewhat of a steep learniing curve at least for me. I post all qso's to qrz, great also after new logbook update. I use a mac and got aether program to convert to adif files. I uploaded my qrz log to LOTW and low and behold I had DXCC in CW and mixed waiting for me. I would have never used the paper method to go after the awards. So I have to give it a big thumbs up the arrl lotw support folks were very patient, as I placed numerous calls to get it right. After you get the hang of it uploading is a breeze, I agree with the KL7 poster who I worked and confirmed within 24 hours that it would be nice if more overseas hams used the system but, I cann't complain. Stick with it and you will be glad you did.

WB9MSM Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2014 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely GREAT!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I think the ARRL did an absolutely fantastic job with giving amateurs an opportunity to confirm their QSO's on-line. Very pleased with watching my DX count increase without having to pay postage. Yes there are fees but I feel that this is a minimum with all things being considered. You have to follow guidelines and directions with getting your call sign certified but the end result is certainly worth it. Cheers to the ARRL for ensuring that the on-line certification QSO process is available for all hams to use.

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Apr 2, 2014 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Patience!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As a retired IT manager I know what the certificate is all about and where I managed a huge system our company paid Cisco System a lot of $$$ to automate the cert system....a lot of money!! Getting your certificate is, IMO, straight forward as long as you follow the process to the letter.

LoTW works as designed....so my big gripe is the ARRL's help system and documentation sucks....way poor in my opinion. It obviously was written by the programmers for programers...bad move ARRL This is a really common problem in the tech world. Any software we designed in house, once sorta ready we'd shoot the engineers (just kidding!!) then hire/create a group to test it and this works, but it's not until it goes out to hundreds or thousands of users that the real problems surface. It always amazed me what average folks could do to the perfectly-running program, just ask Microsoft.

My number one recommendation is to use a commercial logging program, many are free and most hams are notoriously cheapskates so....HI

I use Scott's N3FJP logging program which I love and he was there every step of the way helping get up and running on LoTW.....his modest fee was well worth the money for his expert help.

Cheers All

ON6SX Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2014 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Happy that it exist  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use LoTW a few years,never problems with it.
Even after a total computer crash i had no problems to fix LoTW again.
I got a lot of qsl from people who has no bureau.
Nice work ARRL!