Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | SteppIr BigIr Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for SteppIr BigIr Vertical
SteppIr BigIr Vertical Reviews: 60 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $759
Description: 40 to 6 meters 1/4 vertical- no traps, coils or capacitors.
can be used as a 3/4 wave vertical 21mhz and above. 32 ft length, radials required.

You can write your own review of the SteppIr BigIr Vertical.

KN2M Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2012 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent on 40  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I haven't had a vertical since a Butternut on the roof of my apartment 30 yrs ago. This is my primary DX antenna in a deed restricted subdivision. Issues; expensive, slow production, and the instructions are not exactly clear as ALL antennas share portions of the same instruction manal. I find the mounting pole, a machined aluminum tube was really short in my opinion to mount the antenna. I incorporated a galvanized pipe in cement and custom adapted a DX engineering tilt mount to isolate the antenna from the pole using the fiberglass parts. I opted for the new reinforcement kit and this made the custom bracket I made easy to fabricate. After a few weeks of studying the system, I got a really nice mount. I used 60 33' radials with the DX engineering plate. It plays very well. If I hear the station, it is workable. Some of my accomplishments are VK, ZL without a linear on 40m CW and have heard and worked stations 20m long path into the Pacific. Barefoot, I can break pilups at time as long as the station has about an S9 signal. I have operated mostly 40m but stations are workable on the higher bands. I do note the bands are progressively quiet as the frequency goes up. All in all, it took me about a month of planning and assembly to get it working. I ordered in August, received the package in October and had it on the air by Thanksgiving. No neighbor has questioned the pole yet. I do not have any special rig interfaces, so always have to manually change frequencies. My only concern with antenna is met with the vertical. I do not trust this technology on the top of a tower, but in the back yard there is no problem if the motor or tape need repair. You will not be disappointed in the performance provided the radial system is adequate. Only disappointment I see is with the price.
KE4D Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2011 08:47 Send this review to a friend
BigIR with 80m coil, fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the BigIR with 80m coil for almost three years. This is by far the best vertical I have ever owned. I have had multiple towers, beams, quads and a plethora of verticals. I live in a height restricted ex Cavalry fort in west Texas. No place for a tower and beam/quad, so I went shopping for the best vertical I could put up. 80-6m, resonant on all bands except 160 and capable of full power loading, the BigIr was my choice. I have about 40, 40 foot radials with a DX Engineering radial plate at the base of the BigIr. The antenna itself sprouts from a fake fiberglass rock for aesthetic reasons and also to protect the stepper motor and 80m coil from the elements, not that we get that much rain here!
Just as a testament to the effectiveness of this antenna, I took first place in the 2009 single op, mixed mode, high power South Texas Section of the ARRL 10 meter contest. When was the last time you though you would be competitive from the lower 48 in a contest with a vertical. The last two SS contest have brought me 74 sections, not a clean sweep but darn close! I am very impressed with the performance and with the follow up service from Fluid Motion. A great company and a great antenna.

John KE4D
Brackettville, TX
W8JN Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2011 10:31 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Steppir Big IR with 80 meter coil. The antenna is spectacular, and the customer service is even better. I have had 3, 1 in a million odd problems and they fixed them instantly. First problem was a flaw in the copper ribbon that caused it to "strip" and the antenna failed to work. Steppir fixed it under warranty, no questions asked. Turn around time was 10 days. Second issue, lightning strike smoked my controller. This was non warranty (of course), however they had a replacement out to me in 3 days (coast to coast) at half price (close out of the old style controller). Third issue was a failed steppir motor. Jim (tech support) spent hours on the phone with me after closing time trying to find the issue. We found the problem (one in a million flaw) and Bart replaced the motor under warranty. A great bunch of guys and a terrific product.
KH6DC Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2011 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Last Vertical I Need To Buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, after 12 weeks of waiting from time to order to time I received it, I waited another 6 months to get it installed due to moving QTH several times. Well I finally got it up with the 80m coil. SWR was >12:1 on all bands. The good folks on the SteppIR Yahoo group posted some solutions and it turned out it was the 80m coil. I bypassed the coil and got SWR 2.4:1 or less, 1:1 on 40m and 2.4:1 on 20m. I have 36 radials 36' long but due to the yard morphology, they are not in a perfect 360 degrees pattern plus the antenna is about 2 feet from a chain link fence. I used to get 3.6:1 on 20m so this is an vast improvement. Signals seem louder and I worked a East Kiribati station receiving a 59 report at just 20 watts out. Now will be working on getting the 80m coil back online, have to figure out the antenna length and coil tap number but all in all this is a work of engineering marvel. I will buy another BigIR or even a Dream Beam in the future. 73, Delwyn KH6DC
KB1SIC Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2011 15:05 Send this review to a friend
wonderful antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had to wait months for delivery but now its here and on the air.2 hours to assemble and another 1& 1/2 hours to erect and install my preassembled radial kit.(DX enginnering plate with 60 radials totaling 1600')It is all I had hoped for.Great reports on all bands.Money well spent...
VE6SQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2011 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Gotta Love it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I decided to get back in the game after a hiatus of over 10 years (actually more like 35+ yrs on hf) I pulled a 15/20/40m inverted vee up into a birch tree in the back yard. It worked - and the the swr was acceptable over most of the bands. It also barely fit in the yard - making a full size 80 meter leg out of the question.

Then the birch tree had to come down. The alternative was a scotch pine - but I lost almost 10 feet of height off an already low antenna.

No room for a tower & beam - so the search began for a vertical.

Finally decided upon the BigIr and after what seemed an endless wait, the antenna arrived in the 2nd week of November (a Friday). Steppir had (at my request) shipped the cable & mounting pole early, so by the time the antenna showed up, we had everything ready to go.

The only shortcoming was trying to get the collapsing fibreglass poles extended as specified. Lucky for me, I managed to geta hold of someone at the factory (Tech support had already called it a day), who very kindly told me that the second below the telescoping pole has been made a little longer so... (documentation!!).

Anyway, one we were past that little issue, things proceeded (did I mention that the screw layout for the attachment of the 80m coil housing didn't match any of the diagrams - added a bit of time to the process).

Anyway - got the thing up in the dark - that part was quick!!. Few issues with the computer hookup to the controller (RTFM!) or in this case the diagram! (interesting if non standard approach to supporting both TTL level & RS232 level signals).

My BigIr is terribly radial challenged. We managed to get 500 ft of wire buried, but it's far from optimum - some directions are very radial challenged).

Having said that - Dont try and take it away from me.!!

Some bands, I can't get the SWR below 1.5 to one... and that's the absolute worst case!!

Could I break the pileups during the ARRL DX SSB - nope... Of course I was only running 100 watts. I managed only 40 contacts and I had to work for them - hard.

On the other hand, in the contests where so many are not trying to contact so few and in the CW & RTTY contests - a lot of fun!! Even managed a 60 minute run of 50+ contacts in two of the RTTY contests - once on 40 & once on 15.

WAC, Antarctica, WAS (all modes) (1 short on RTTY, 3 short on CW and 6 short on SSB) WAC on 40/20/15. All NA coasts some dx on 80 and a total of over 2000 contacts since the thing was installed - more than enough fun for anyone....

Now if can fish some wire under the deck, and along the outside of the fence.....

Villy ve6sq
N7BD Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2011 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Best Vertical $$ can buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a frustrating 11 weeks wait time, I could not be more pleased with this antenna! I had a SWR problem but found it to be the BALAN that I purchased for it. (Not needed). I have the antenna ground mounted with 48 20' radials + 2 cut for 20M. (They were the result of fighting the initial SWR question)
I did not get the 80M coil. The antenna works great across all bands (6M-40M) with never having SWR readings above 1.3 and most 1.1 - 1.24. I am curious how to does through the winter. Although an expensive antenna, you will NOT be disppointed! I run approximately 600 watts and generally, if I can hear the station, I have been able to work them. On 40M, usually on the first try even with a pileup.
WS4B Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2011 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Great - But take precautions  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I live in a deed restricted neighborhood with CCRs. My HOA gave me permission last year to put up a vertical, and primarily based on the reviews here as well as the SteppIR "name" I chose this one. I have zero regrets, and love this antenna! I have it ground mounted with sixteen 32 foot radials, and thirty two 16 foot radials. Since we are still awaiting Cycle 24 to wake up, most of my experience with this antenna has been on 17 through 40 Meters. I do not have the 80 Meter coil (for now).

My first recommendation for those that get this antenna is to guy it. Manufacture specs claim the antenna can withstand winds up to 75 MPH. I had one particular case where that did not happen. The antenna housing has two pieces of 3/4" 7.5 feet CPVC, connected with a coupler. For some reason my coupler cracked after installation. I am not sure if this was from wind pressure or temperature change. While I was away on vacation, I came back to find half the antenna lying on the ground. That is when I found the cracked coupler being in my opinion the most likely cause. Guying the antenna I feel will put far less strain on that connecting piece.

In addition, I had the antenna fully "extended" while I was away. The radiating part of the antenna is a copper alloy that extends and retracts depending on what band you are on. I did not retract the antenna while I was away, thus the copper alloy was bent and fully exposed when the top half of the antenna came crashing down. Fortunately I was able to bend the copper alloy back into place, so no permanent damage was done. So lesson number two is to ALWAYS retract the antenna via the control box when not in use, especially when anticipating bad weather. The owner manual from what I can see DOES NOT state this, which I feel is necessary information to keep from possibly damaging the antenna if it where to come down.

As others have said, the owner manual could be vastly improved. That being said, customer service is fantastic! I am rating the antenna and customer service a 5 out of 5, but the owner’s manual maybe 2 out of 5.

If you want a vertical that really puts out a good signal look no further, this is it! The antenna I was using before this one was a Mosley PRO-67B yagi, and never thought I would find a vertical that would make me as happy as that beam. I'm glad I found one!!
KD6SX Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2010 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Multi-band Vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an excellent antenna. I ground mounted it with 20 forty foot radials and 15 sixteen foot radials. I installed the 80 meter coil and the SWR is less than 2:1 on all bands 80 thru 6 meters. It outperforms my 80 meter dipole at distances over 500 miles or so and is a good DX antenna on that band. At times, on 20, 15, and 10 meters, this vertical is as good as or better than my three element triband beam. The 3/4 wave configuration on 15 thru 6 meters gives added performance on those bands. The optional autotrack feature works beautifully.

My only minor complaint is that the instruction manual has not been updated to reflect changes in the MK III model. This caused a little confusion but I made a few calls and exchanged a few e-mails with Jim (the tech support guy) and my questions were all answered. Jim is a great guy and extremely helpful.

I highly recommend this antenna for anyone who is looking for a good multi-band vertical.

G3OZN Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2010 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Update after 2 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Added a second set of guys, performs great, in some cases was equal to my yagi at 60ft! the 3/4 wave setting is really a boost to signals.
I am tempted to purchase the 80M coil set up, BUT will it mess up the performance of this fine antenna???? It seems some folk have loads of problems with this 80M add on?
I was fortunate to purchase this antenna when the Pound sterling was in a good state!
I would not be without it, especially as the years creep on handling the tower and mainten ance of same, and Yagi is not as easy as it once was! If the Yagi gives problems or rotater or tower, I think I will stick with just the Steppir vertical.