Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Coaxial Dynamics 83000-A Help

Reviews Summary for Coaxial Dynamics 83000-A
Coaxial Dynamics 83000-A Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $340.00
Description: Peak reading RF power meter
More info: http://www.coaxial.com/products/83000.htm

You can write your own review of the Coaxial Dynamics 83000-A.

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2008 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Five years and still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow up review.

I've used this meter in the shack and in the field for over 5 years and it still performs flawlessly.
Built to professional standards and solid as a rock. Good battery life in peak reading mode too.

You won't be disappointed in the 8300-A It is a keeper.

K6USN / E51USN

W1CUN Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2007 13:48 Send this review to a friend
A+++ quality meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very easily read meter with very good accuracy! For those that have the peak reading option and do not like changing 9 volt batteries I offer this information: do not subject this unit to a non-regulated voltage source that exceeds 9.5 volts. You will let the smoke out of the IC's if you do! Shure makes a model PS9US (regulated 9 volt supply) that will plug in where the battery would go with no modifications necessay to the unit. Average price of a PS9US is $50.00 US.

AD5TH Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2005 04:28 Send this review to a friend
Great peforming and great looking meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was in the market for a VHF PEP meter when I came across the Coaxial Dynamics 83000-A. Fitted with a CDI 100-250mhz / 500W slug it handles my TE Systems 1452G (400W)with ease. The meter is a shock mounted taut band movement. It's large 4 and 1/4 x 2 and 1/2 inch mirrored meter face is deluxe and very easy to read from any angle. The 9V internal battery should last 2-3 months under "normal use". I use an external supply with mine since I don't need portability. I give it a "5" rating for being the best peak reading and easiest to read wattmeter I have ever seen or owned. If you buy this meter you won't regret it. Found it at Northern Ohio Amateur Radio Depot for $369. Open Sunday 1-4pm!
-ps photos including the inside and instruction manual at www.ad5th.com

M0CEL Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2003 03:47 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I concur with all the previous reports. Accurate, excellent construction, easy to read and nice to look at. Compliments my Commander 2500HP.

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2003 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Quality equipment built to last  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read the earlier reviews on all the watt meters listed in the eHam evaluations and made my choice on the Coaxial Dynamics 83000A.

I am very pleased with the heft and feel of this
product, and measurements are easy to read and right in line with my vintage Bird 43. They claim 5% full scale, and this appears to be the case. This is the Rolls Royce of meters and is built like a tank.

In my opinion, this and the Bird (out of production now) are the 'gold standard' for quality watt/SWR meters.

I've owned the MFJ analyzer and find the Coaxial Dynamics to be far superior in quality and performance.

Albeit the Coaxial Dynamics is a bit more expensive, but if you want this to be the last watt/swr meter your ever have to buy, then it's worth it.

K4XG Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2000 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Wattmeter!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using Bird wattmeters, both th 43 and 43P for many, many, years. The Bird meters are excellent, accurate, devices that will generally last a lifetime. I recently acquired a 83000-A peak reading wattmeter because I had never owned a Coaxial Dynamics product and wanted a new toy to work with in the shack.

The 83000A is outstanding. I prefer it over the Bird because it is so much easier to read the scale due to the mirrored background. The 83000A also has the on-off switch for the peak reading function on the front of the meter which makes it much handier to use.

My biggest complaint with the Bird 43P is that the two 9 VDC batteries just do last very long and it is a pain to change the batteries every week or so. Batteries in the 83000A last significantly longer and with the front mounted switch I am much less likely to remember to turn the peak reading function off thus conserving battery power.

I highly recommend the 83000A wattmeter.

Tom K4XG

PROFESSOR Rating: 4/5 Aug 31, 2000 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Lab Quality...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a very robust meter that seems to have as good an accuracy as a Bird43. This meter is much easier to read. Although it's slightly cheaper than the Bird... it's in the same general price neighborhood. If you want a lab quality meter for less than a Bird... this is the meter for you.

W6LAR Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2000 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Meter, a Bird inside!  Time owned: unknown months
Bought one just for the shack and for accurate readout for my HF station PEP power. I mainly got this over a 43 due to its LARGE meter. A pleasure to use and look at.