Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | W4RT Gap Hear-It DSP (bhi) for Yeasu 817 Help

Reviews Summary for W4RT Gap Hear-It DSP (bhi) for Yeasu 817
W4RT Gap Hear-It DSP (bhi) for Yeasu 817 Reviews: 24 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $179.00 installed, 149.00 module
Description: The GAP Antenna Hear-It DSP Module for the Yaesu FT-817 offers bhi
Ltd. noise cancellation inside your FT-817. It features 4 levels of noise
cancellation, single button operation, low-power consumption, low
distortion to audio signal, doesn't interfere with the FT-817ís internal
battery pack, can be used with optional filters, completely internal
fitting, visual and audible indication of filter level, two demo modes. bhi
Ltd. utilizes dynamically-adaptive neural-network technology to achieve
noise and tone reduction that is remarkably more impressive than other
noise reduction technologies available for the FT-817.
More info: http://www.w4rt.com

You can write your own review of the W4RT Gap Hear-It DSP (bhi) for Yeasu 817.

KG7ACW Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2014 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What an improvement! Just got my radio back from w4rt. Turned it around in one day. The difference with and without the DSP is night and day. Easily the second best dollars I have spent in ham radio. The first being the the 817 itself... Might be time for yaesu to come out with an 817DX and just include this from day one.

KD0OPN Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2013 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Amazing!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing is utterly fantastic! It really would be worth it for twice the price. It reduces S6 noise to almost nothing. I'm now able to pick out those tiny DX stations out of the noise floor. Really, it's incredible!

I put mine into 4-level mode and usually keep it on level-3. It seems to give a good balance between signal level and noise. But really, even level-1 is a drastic improvement over the admittedly noisy stock 817.

The install was a bit hairy as you have to remove a tiny SMD cap on the bottom of the Main Unit and solder the input and output leads to the pads. I chose to mount the ground wire first to create a bit of strain relief for easier soldering. Make sure you test fit everything first, again, you want to make sure there is as little strain on the tiny solder pads as possible in the final configuration. Also, I figured that I'm likely going to install the filter option at some point in the future so I mounted the DSP unit just behind the existing xtal. I had to carefully bend the yellow (xtal?) component on the DSP board backwards to make room for the top cover in this configuration. Drilling the holes for the "keyboard" was pretty easy, though arranging the z-bracket and aligning the "keyboard" so everything lined up right was a little time-consuming.

Finally, routing the wires was also a bit confusing and you should be mindful about stressing the solder points on the boards when doing this. I think, as other posters have mentioned, just take your time and plan out the next step in your mind before taking action and this install will take no time at all.

Overall, the installation took about an hour. If you have the right tools (esp. a good soldering iron with a fine tip or even better SMT equipment!) it makes the job a snap.

After powering up the radio and testing out the filter, I almost fell over. The audio samples on W4RT's website are one thing, but actually hearing them in person is amazing.

Overall a great product from a great company. I also wanted to mention that the order fulfillment and shipping was very fast.

-josh
KD0OPN

KB9JLO Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2013 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Wow! Excellent.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is a tough install in the FT-817 but manageable. Just take your time and don't get in a big hurry. The thing I disliked were the two ribbon cables. I hate those connectors.
The filter is incredible. I run mine in 4 level mode as well. I just get confused with 8 choices! :-)
I can't believe how good this works. It makes SSB sound so good. And even on the highest level there is little distortion. I love the 817 but I love it more with this filter. It is amazing.
Seriously the review don't do it justice. And W4RT's shipping was beyond fast - even over the holidays! 3 days. I ordered it late one evening it was there the third day!

MM30 Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2008 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's like a whole different radio. When the bands get noisy I just switch this on and operate. I installed this unit myself in about an hour with no problem's. I would not recommend installing unless you have tech experience or are used to working with small surface mount components. KC2PLJ

N8NQP Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2007 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Makes a good radio great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 5 day turn around I can say that I should have done this sooner! The XYL hated the white noise, folks tuning up etc. With this on, it is reduced so much that you think that there is a problem with the volume knob! The noise disappears! I use mine on 2-3 as I run my 817 mobile.

KD5VSV Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2007 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nothing new to add that other reviewers haven't said already.

"When I got my 817 back from W4RT, it didn't even seem like the same radio." My feelings exactly.

Worth sending off and worth the cost. Professional installation, just great.

73's

K4YHQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2006 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Better Than I Imagined  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The advertizing doesn't do this thing justice. It would be a bargan at twice the price. When I got my 817 back from W4RT, it didn't even seem like the same radio. The signal on 75/80 meteres was so clear it was at least as good as I could get on my 756 Pro III, and maybe better: the static, the hash, the white noise just gone, all gone, as if by magic. I'd give this a six, if I possibly could!

I had W4RT install mine, and looking at the installation guide, I'm glad I did. While the basic outline of the installation procedure isn't terribly dificult, it's apparent at a glance that the adjustmment and tuning routine -- which is done through mini-pots and trimmers on the installed board -- is something that requires a deft and experienced hand for the best results.

VA2VYZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2005 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Make FT-817 even better !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The FT-817 is already a great rig, but this little add-on make it even better !!! Very useful for working noisy signal, you will really enjoy it.

Mid-easy to install, you better have experience of using a solder iron on small part. Took only an hour to do... to most difficult part was drilling 2 holes in the FT-817 top cover... ;-)

I recommend the BHI DSP for the FT-817 !!

VE2OEW Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2005 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried to order the Hear-It DSP from W4RT but they wouldn't ship to the Province of Quebec. Through the bhi website in England, I found a dealer in British Columbia that stocked the item: www.burnabyradio.com They had the unit in my hands in three days with the added bonus of not having Customs hassles etc.
I installed the unit myself. By the way, the bhi unit is called NEDSP1061-KBD. While I was waiting for the unit, I downloaded the operating and installation manual from the bhi website www.bhi-ltd.co.uk. I read it over several times before the unit arrived. This helped greatly in speeding up the installation.
The installation took me about 90 minutes. However, as others have done, I would caution others not to attempt this installation without at least having an experienced builder at your side.
In addition to the FT-817, I also have the DSP option in my K2. As one would expect, the bhi unit doesn't match the capabilities of the K2. However, I didn't expect it to. It does a superb job. I agree with others that the "four beep" setting is not very useful.
Bottom line, I highly recommend the unit.

W2MSK Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2005 07:14 Send this review to a friend
It really works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been less than overwhelmed by the current DSP noise reduction technology available in today's powerful rigs. IMO, the current "big 3" offerings have limited functionality, seems the DSP's are better suited to IF contouring and notch filtering, not voice/background noise and work little better than an audio treble control. The W4RT/BHI product is a different product and a very effective background noise reducer. It apparently has been designed expressly for voice noise reduction and it does a superb job of it. The backround noise is significantly reduced leaving the voice fully intelligible. There are always artifacts with DSP's and this unit is no exception. I do detect a slight pumping of the voice if one listens very closely with headphones, certainly acceptable given the level of the noise that is reduced. I had it installed in my FT-817 and can report it has transformed the rig (SSB filter may have also contributed to improved voice). Position 2 is all that is needed for effective reduction, 3 if the noise is very objectionable (80/160m with loud static crashes). 4 imparts a very "watery" sound quality, albeit totally without any background noise, and is questionable as to its usefulness. I've listened to many consumer highend DSP's and can confidently state that this unit will outperform the current imbedded DSP SOTA. Highly recommended!