Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | W4RT Gap Hear-It DSP (bhi) for Yeasu 817 Help

Reviews Summary for W4RT Gap Hear-It DSP (bhi) for Yeasu 817
W4RT Gap Hear-It DSP (bhi) for Yeasu 817 Reviews: 24 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $179.00 installed, 149.00 module
Description: The GAP Antenna Hear-It DSP Module for the Yaesu FT-817 offers bhi
Ltd. noise cancellation inside your FT-817. It features 4 levels of noise
cancellation, single button operation, low-power consumption, low
distortion to audio signal, doesn't interfere with the FT-817ís internal
battery pack, can be used with optional filters, completely internal
fitting, visual and audible indication of filter level, two demo modes. bhi
Ltd. utilizes dynamically-adaptive neural-network technology to achieve
noise and tone reduction that is remarkably more impressive than other
noise reduction technologies available for the FT-817.
More info: http://www.w4rt.com

You can write your own review of the W4RT Gap Hear-It DSP (bhi) for Yeasu 817.

2E0AYQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2005 03:23 Send this review to a friend
WOW  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I live in a very built up town and suffer with a lot of qrn.
I had this unit fitted to my 817 it is an
absolute beauty. My noise level on 80M and 40m
can be very high 5/9 this unit brings it down
to 0 with hardly any loss in audio quality.
This is a must have accesory for the 817
worth every penny

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2004 10:21 Send this review to a friend
A good upgrade to rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Previous reviews pretty much say it all: This is a great upgrade to the FT-817. I particularly like it on the lower bands when static can make listening otherwise unpleasant. I use it in the 2 or 3 setting most of the time. Just be sure when you have it installed to ask for a low volume beep.

N2PEU Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2004 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Great addition!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed by W4RT with 1 week turnaround.
This DSP makes the 817 into a different rig.
Levels 1 & 2 are all I've ever used. 3 & 4
can cause distortion. When I use my rig mobile
it removes almost all vehicle rfi/emi. At home
it makes copy so much easier and less tiring. I
wish my Icom 746 Pro had one of these!

SV7AGN Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2004 15:54 Send this review to a friend
something else!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
hello everyone
I've just installed the NEDSP1061-KBD unit (same as W4RT) inside my Aor 7030+ , it took me 2 hours but it worth it.
Amazing, it wipes out most of the noise. I own a couple of audio filter units but this little thing is something else.
dimitris

DL6XAZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2004 19:07 Send this review to a friend
fully satisfied with results!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi folks - the installation of this DSP unit took me roughly 3 hours, whereof 30 mins to have a thorough look with magnifying lenses and good light, 2 hours careful work and a final half hour for reassembling the FT817. I had never worked with SMDs before but got more than 4 decades practice in rig and circuit board design and construction. As all pliers, tweezers etc are much too thick for gripping that tiny capacitor to be removed, I decided to lift it up with an old hypodermic needle of .4mm diam. whilst quickly heating one side. It jumped off one side immediately, and doing the same with the other side, also keeping a light pressure from underneath with said needle, this removal process was done in a couple of minutes. The soldering tip had been prepared with my Proxxon grinding tool to be very pointy, to avoid any accidental touch of the other nearby components. As I got the Inrad 300Hz CW filter installed, I had to go for the option location of the dsp unit near the relay; it was fixed, the dsp chip upwards, with two drops of acrylic glue and letting it harden for an hour. Soldering the wires was easy. Whilst the glue hardened, I drilled the two holes in the upper cover, first using a 1mm drill as guide hole. Careful measuring paid off as the button/led unit fitted immediately, being fixed with that steel strip squeezed under the loudspeaker holder.
All in all, the first test on 40m midnight conditions here in Europe was simply stunning; I use a MFJ784 dsp filter with my other transceiver and could compare: this tiny unit by BHI does an even better job! It is astonishing and a most welcome addition worth the money paid which very much increases the joy in using this fantastic qrp rig working /p or /m, when I have no chance to use another ASP filter between rig and loudspeaker. I realized that for digital modes like bpsk the DSP should be turned off when signal strength is weak, and under these circumstances the extra ED88 audio filter comes to good use.
All in all: imho highly recommendable for those not having the ND version with dsp already installed.
Fred DL6XAZ

VE3RPF Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2004 23:07 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's interesting to see how many people are selling their FT-817. If they heard the improvement this module makes on the FT-817, I bet most would think twice about getting rid of their FT-817.
I bought the module and installed it myself. The directions were clear and took me only an hour. That being said, I do agree with some of the posters that this installation is not for the novice. If you have kit building experience, this installation should not pose any problems.

This module gave my FT-817 a new life. It's like a new high performance rig. A well worth accessory for the FT-817.

ON4SSC Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2004 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Impressive !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, I have to say that placing this thing yourself can be very very difficult. You have to remove a very small capacitor (0.5 mm or so...), soldering wires instead of this capacitor, drilling holes in the chassis ... I had the chance to know an experienced ham who did it for me. You have been warned.

Now, about the performance. In one word, amazing !
You wonder how it was possible to use the 817 without this little marvel. At NR level 1, all the bands become quiet and it's a joy to listen to QSOs. At max level, it seems like all QSOs go through a metal water pipe or so. Level 1 or 2 are my favorites.

Get it now but have it installed by a pro dealer or w4rt themselves.

A worthy addition to the 817.

KC2JBB Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2004 13:35 Send this review to a friend
amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
W4RT installed the Hear-It for my 817. First of all, those guys are great. I mailed off the unit and a week later it was back. The Hear-It itself is great. The tiny little 817 speaker is absolutely full quieted with the accessory and I don't know how I did without it. Along with One Big Punch in the microphone (also W4RT), this 817 is truly a great radio. All recommended without reservation.

AB2NJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2003 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Most awesome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sometimes things just work noticeably beyond expectation. At first, I thought the battery just died! The noise floor simply dropped away leaving quiet amazement in its wake. This gadget is one you'll show off often!

G2FHF Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2003 15:33 Send this review to a friend
This thing is awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just fitted the BHI DSP unit to my FT-817, it was really easy to fit and has transformed the rig. It is now comparable to my FT-1000 Mk5. Absolutely fantastic. You need a very steady hand to desolder the SMD capacitor as it is less than half the size of a grain of rice, but once you have done that it is plain sailing. If I can fit it then anyone can and it saved me £50 fitting and postage. It truly was a great Christmas present, I'll be out with my Buddipole and the 817 as soon as it stops raining.