Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-50V Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-50V
Kenwood TS-50V Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 10W version of the Kenwood TS-50S mobile HF transceiver, 10- 160 meters, general coverage receiver

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-50V.

K8RBW Rating: 4/5 Jul 5, 2012 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Fun Classic Radiio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Am I the only one who owns one of these little critters? I have watched this remain blank for years and feel compelled to comment on it or people will think it doesn't really exist. I purchased it perhaps seven or eight years ago from a Chicago ham who was seeking to unload it. To me, it was his loss and my gain. As the above description states, it is essentially a TS-50S that runs 10 watts. As I understand it, it was designed as a radio for Japanense novices. I have no idea how my unit got into the US. It has all the assets and liabilities of the TS-50S. You don't have to wade through layers of menus, which some people would view as a real advantage. Like the SG-2020, you could drop it out of a five story window and it would probably still function. As an almost 100% CW operator, the biggest drawback for me is that it doesn't have an internal keyer, but there are a number of external keyers on the market (Logikeyer, Begali, Ham Gadgets, etc.) that fill that void and run circles around internal keyers. I installed the 500Hz filter before they became extinct, but you can also wire the filter for the TS-480 for it; the latter is a better filter anyway. Needless to say, there are countless external audio filters that can be used with it as well. The biggest drawback for portable operation is that it draws more current than other radios in the 10 watt range like the IC-703. It is fun, I love it, and it will only be sold at my estate sale.

Vy 73 to all, de Dick, K8RBW