Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | HyGain TH7DXS Help

Reviews Summary for HyGain TH7DXS
HyGain TH7DXS Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $869.95
Description: Trapped tribander 10/15/20 24' boom
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=TH-7DX

You can write your own review of the HyGain TH7DXS.

PY2KNK Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2017 15:42 Send this review to a friend
excelent performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Recently put on my first tri-band antenna, chosen the TH7DX, I'm impressed by the performance, compared to my mono bands of the same size, I can say that I compared in real time, and I made sure that TH7DX outperformed my antennas in most situations Mono bands of my building.

Antenna very well built, stainless steel screws, excellent finish, bandwidth I can say that if you were to choose between monoband antenna and the TH7DX, would certainly choose TH7DX.

I do not give a maximum rating for Hy Gain TH7DX, because there were two wrong-fit clamps, and two bolts were missing, which fixed the alignment of the boom, I had to put others bought here in Brazil, and I did not find stainless steel, Traps with loose screws, then quality control below that expected for an antenna with this name and tradition.

I hope MFJ pay attention not to lose new customers, because the antenna is really an excellent acquisition, and I can say that it is a multi-band with superior mono-band performance of the same size, no doubt.

In a few years I would like to come back here and report on the durability of the parts and survival over time.

I hope my opinion can collaborate with other colleagues on a new acquisition.

Best regards

Leonardo Zucon PY2KNK

TF3CY Rating: 3/5 Feb 14, 2015 09:36 Send this review to a friend
good antenna but with problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the TH-7DX few years back new - I had not owned many yagi antennas before - just a FB33. I was bit surprised how hard it was to assemble and measure - lot of places to get wrong. The tapering of the elements where quite bad and to much space. the clamps for the thinnest elements where to big and not enough tapering - so they rattled inside the larger tube. I took down the antenna after few winters here in TF land - as I constantly had to pick up parts around the garden. I had already put some screws through - So it was either to fix the issues, drilling and putting screws through the tubes or try another antenna. I bought a Optibeam OB9-5 and there is a huge difference there, no comparison in build quality and ease of assembly. You really don't need the manual. (but the OB9-5 is double the price)

But on the air it's a good performer - good forward gain and FB - so I have no complaints about SWR - but being a trapped yagi - I sometimes noticed difference in SWR in heavy rain/snow situations - but nothing serious.

I bought the TH7DX because I had heard good stories about the mechanical side of the antennas - we have had some TH series many years here in TF - but I think production must be slipping.

73, Benni TF3CY

N3US Rating: 4/5 Sep 20, 2014 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Great for a Trap Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Hygain (pre-MFJ) TH7-DXX was up at 73 feet for 20 years at my central OK QTH. The performance was great, I made top of the Honor Roll with it, the excellent FB ratio was excellent, and the antenna withstood many ice and severe wind events. However, the original BN-86 failed after just a few years due to its poor quality construction. Its SWR rose significantly after rain because the traps plastic end caps deteriorated after 12 years. At my new QTH in central VA, I went with a Bencher Skyhawk to avoid both trap based and stepping motor based antennas.

WR0F Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2013 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Amazing @ 55 ft   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I put up a TH7DX up in June 2012 and have very good results . I had one up back in the late 80's previous so we knew the track record of this antenna .
I did have 2nd thoughts and I should have done it differently now I should have put up the TH11DX as it comes with the BN 4000 balun standard a $109 option on the TH7DX .
I replaced my BN 86 with the BN 4000 as we was planning on running a KW+ . Hy-gain should include the better balun with this antenna
We easily break pileups on 10-20 meters and it has a very good bandwidth on swrs so no antenna tuner is needed with the factory setup.
I have been very happy with the antenna @ 55 ft up . I hope to put it up another 20 ft higher in the summer 2013 .

KI0Z Rating: 4/5 Nov 17, 2012 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Good not Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
put up the TH-7 on a Triex 70' Remote crank up tower. It was good in all respects yet needed to be @70 ft to start working on long haul dx. it was gud for 13 years then went to the TH-11. WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!!! @ 40' IT WAS AMAZING !! CLEARLY THE LOG CELL WITH SAME BOOM MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE AND LONG HAUL DX WAS NOT A PROBLEM WITH 5 WATTS OR LESS WITH GOOD PROP... THE TH-11 is AN OUTSTANDING ANTENNA . LOVE THE TH-11 WITH MORE GAIN THAN THE 204BA Monobander on 20m MILL SPECKS (NO GROUND GAIN) now if it only had 30 m. 73 KI0Z Dave

VE7GBV Rating: 2/5 Nov 17, 2012 08:21 Send this review to a friend
comparison with the Optibeam - TH7 could be better ...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently built an Optibeam 16-3 for 10-15-20m and now have refurbished our 20-year old TH7DX. Building the Optibeam was a pleasure - top quality components that almost assembled themselves.
The TH7? - not so much. The boom has been bent by the wind, the plastic components have failed- the trap endcaps especially - the tabs which bond the trap cases to the elements have broken, and it's impossible to get a wrench on the nuts inside the too-small phasing lines.
The TH7 costs less than the Optibeam - and you get what you pay for.

XE2LTH Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2012 15:53 Send this review to a friend
The Hy Gain TH 7 DX  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the antenna that I have and have in the tower witout maintenence for More than 30 YEAR's ,I have no problems until now but was because the tower was rebuild and increase 15 centimeters and dont give the correct cable to rotate but I have a very good repoert over the world. If the cable was get larger I dont think to have anny problem's

KE5MXA Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2008 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Still standing strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hurricane Ike Hit us hard again 3 yrs after Rita... 8-12ft of water and high winds. The dang beam is still standing. and the boom guy wires have been broken for 9+years. The SWR is still good on all 3 bands. I love this antenna!

KC8YTY Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2008 12:40 Send this review to a friend
gOOD ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
TH7DX ANTENNA is a good antenna. Reason i gave it a 4/5 was due to 3 things. First the bad news, while putting the boom together the wholes didn't line up correctly so they had to be drilled again, in the same place. they were about 1/16 off. # 2 while putting the 10 meter director together my friend ww8o and I had a time getting the tubing to slide in one another., this only accured on the 10 meter director. #3 they short me to meduim sized hose clamps, oh well hard ware store to care of that.

Oh well. Other than that I would reccomend this antenna to anyone. Great antenna just alittle tricky.

W3JK Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2007 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The TH7DXS is an under-rated antenna. It delivers some amazing results with little power. I know that the bandwagon is on trapless yagis such as force12, m2 or the Steppir etc, but this antenna has some real firepower to it. On dead band conditions it takes my 450W PEP across the pond. I have always heard comments like "you are the only loud station from the states side". I am not using high power at all, but just idling my TL922 at 450W PEP into the TH7DXS.
The antenna is great and the results are great. It compares well with the other computer modeled antennas. Excellent reports and SWR is almost 1:1 on all three bands.
I know that the Steppir cult would be upset at me for claiming this antenna as a great one, but it surely is at par with the steppir based on my DX QSO's.
Would I recommend it? Yes, HIGHLY.