Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | HyGain TH7DXS Help

Reviews Summary for HyGain TH7DXS
HyGain TH7DXS Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $869.95
Description: Trapped tribander 10/15/20 24' boom
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=TH-7DX

You can write your own review of the HyGain TH7DXS.

K8JH Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2002 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Solid Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had my TH7DXX up for 20 years at 70' through Michigan storms, summer and winter. It survived viscious winds, ice and lightning. She was a great performer on all bands as I am a DX hunter. I would not hesitate to use one again. I had to take it down when I moved and had a chance to inspect it. For being up 20 years it was in great shape.

HP1BYS Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2002 15:37 Send this review to a friend
GOOD ANTENNA  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
IT HAS CHANGED MY OLD ANTENNA TA-33M BY MOSLEY, THAT US FOR 6 YEARS, WHICH GAVE ME VERY GOOD RESULTS, FOR THE TH7DX BY HY-GAIN. TO WEIGH THAT THE ANTENNA NOT THIS TO THE RECOMMENDED HEIGHT (ALONE THIS TO 20 FEET OF THE ROOF) AND ACHIEVED THAT THE SWR IS NOT FOR UP 2, IN ALL THE BANDS.
IN THIS SHORT TIME AND ACHIEVED TO CONTACT WITH 26 NEW COUNTRIES FOR MY, USING SINGLE 100 WATTS; INSIDE OF WHICH I CAN MENTION: S2,TR,E3,T2,9N,BD,V5,C9,9U,3X,A5,9Q,ZC4,XW,BV9, YA5T AND HL17FWC; AMONG OTHER. WHAT I FEEL VERY SATISFIED AND I SHOULD CONGRATULATE THE GENTLEMEN OF HY-GAIN FOR SO GOOD PRODUCT.
THANK YOU. HP1BYS, ELIO, 73DX.

VE3HI Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2001 11:04 Send this review to a friend
What a great antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My previous antenna was a battle-weary KLM KT-34XA and I was a bit hesitant at putting up this TH7. I need not have been. It performs every bit as well as the KLM KT-34XA did and I expect that it will be a lower maintenance antenna as well. I have DXCC 310+ countries and, believe it or not, my first QSO after putting up the darned thing was a new one! I sort of miss having the WARC bands though. (Tried a QSO on 18 Mhz with a tuner and it worked fine but I wouldn't make a habit of this).

WB4M Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2001 22:30 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my TH7DX beam at an estate sale over 10 years ago, and the original owner had bouth it back in 1981. My TH7DX replaced a small 3-element triband beam, and there is absolutely no comparison! My beam is at 55 feet, and I now break pile-ups with 100 watts and before with the 3-element beam I could not break them with 500 watts. Matter of fact, I rarely use my amp anymore and have considered selling it. This antenna has survived ice and Hurricane Fran and all other sorts of WX and zero problems. If something happens to this one, I'd buy a new one the next day.

K8NY Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2001 23:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent DX Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
A fantastic performer, wide band coverage (SWR not exceeding 1.8 to 1 anywhere) on all bands and plenty of gain.
The only knock here is that the hardware and construction could be beefier especially the boom size and the element to boom clamps. Mosley is much better at "beefy" construction (have owned 2 Mosleys previously).
Have mine at 70' and it is a SWEET performer with good F/B and Fwd Gain.
By the way, the proper nomenclature (per the 1998 Hy-Gain by Telex user manual) on this antenna is 'Model TH7DX Broadband Super Thunderbird' There appears not to be a TH7DXX or TH7DXS.

K0RS Rating: 3/5 Feb 1, 2000 07:00 Send this review to a friend
TH-7 vs KT34-XA  Time owned: unknown months
I once had a TH-7 and a KLM KT-34 XA up on seperate towers simultaneously. It was interesting comparing the two antennas, but perhaps a moot point now as KLM is out of business and HyGain is reincarnated under MFJ. It will be interesting to see if HyGain's quality control holds up, or if it too becomes "Mighty Flimsy Junk." Anyway, the TH-7 had better SWR bandwidth and better front to back than the KLM, but marginally less forward gain. Weight was nearly equal. The KLM was certainly larger, with a 36' boom length (vs 24'), and mechanically more complex. The 'XA's boom was 3" in diameter, while the TH-7 sported a 2". I never liked the TH-7 boom to element clamps, which have been known to bend or fail under ice loads. The clamps were a recycled Wilson design, a company bought out by HyGain back in the dark ages. KLM and especially Mosley do that much better. On the other hand, the boom to mast hardware is the best in the business... go figure. I kept the KLM and sold the TH-7, but would not be adverse to putting up another should the 'XA become impossible to maintain. Incidentally, there is no such thing as a TH-7"DXX"- it is a (admittedly similar sounding) TH-7 DXS. The old TH-6 was the DXX.

WB4UNA Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 1999 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Tri-Band Antenna  Time owned: unknown months
I have had this antenna up for 9 years and have never had any problems with it. It is a very broad band antenna. It covers all the 10 meter band without any problem,swr 1.2 highest I have seen. The other bands are the same way . The antenna went together in no time, it is best to double check your work, and it was in the air.It sets at 75' and works great on DX as well as stateside..The specs are right on this one.