Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | LNR Precision End-Fed Half-Wave Wire Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for LNR Precision End-Fed Half-Wave Wire Antennas
LNR Precision End-Fed Half-Wave Wire Antennas Reviews: 286 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $52 to $125 Depending on Band
Description: End-fed, half-wave wire antennas..
More info: http://www.LnRprecision.com

You can write your own review of the LNR Precision End-Fed Half-Wave Wire Antennas.

K2MK Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2016 02:27 Send this review to a friend
Solid Construction and Good Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have my 20 meter antenna in a sloper configuration with one end in a tree about 10 feet high and the other end tied to a plastic tent spike. It's an orange spike from Home Depot that comes in two different lengths. I used an analyzer and trimmed a little bit at a time until the SWR was low across the entire 20 meter band. Construction seems quite good and the instructions are clear with color photos. The instructions have to be viewed on the internet. They are not included with the antenna.

Performance appears to be quite good. The antenna is quiet and the signals pop out nicely. In a few hours of DX contesting on CW running 100 watts from Florida I worked numerous European stations and one in Hawaii with little difficulty. As I expected I had better results calling stronger stations and I skipped over any DX that had numerous callers waiting.

I am very pleased and I recommend this antenna.

KJ4KKI Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2016 01:15 Send this review to a friend
Update to Previous Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've already bragged on these outstanding antennas. I added a few perks to mine that I want to share.

I use my EFs with a 31 foot Jackite pole. A while back, I purchased a tailgating flagpole holder. You drive your tire over it. One can easily be made, however this one breaks down and goes into a custom bag. The Jackite pole and it are about the same size, so I had to fasten 2 pieces of PVC together with hose clamps. One goes over the flagpole holder and the other fits over my pole. A home brew version could easily be fitted to the antenna pole.

One of my EFs is the 10/20/40 model. You can use resonant wire with the matchbox for 10-60m. Rather than several sections of wire, I decided to use small gauge wire, some nylon backers from toy boxes (wires wrap around them behind the cardboard), and alligator clips for band jumpers. This affords me 17m, 15m, 12m (and 10m--if upper bands are good, why not include it and not have to change resonators?) in a short space. Depending on your preference, you could put as many bands as you want to.

I've seriously thought about getting other antennas, such as the Buddipoles, Buddisticks, Alpha EZMilitary, and MP1 antennas, but for simplicity and performance, the Par are hard to beat. Should location be a problem, I know those other antennas would do great. A Buddipole could fit on a deck or out over a balcony. But, given the room, Par EndFedz by LNR Precision are amazing. I use the 40m/20m antenna the most, but it's nice to have a variety of bands to choose from.

Hang them from a pole; throw a line over a tree limb, tie off to some support high off the ground...there are lots of variations. About two weeks prior to this review, I went to the family farm. Sitting at a table, using an 8 amp hour battery, an FT-857D and my 40m/20m EF, I had some really good QSOs, including one on the island of Crete, Greece.

I can say from experience that you definitely need to take the time and wind the wire around a kite string holder, piece of pipe, etc. Once that wire gets tangled up, you'll spend more time with it than you will on the air. Other than that, have fun and good DX!

KD8TSR Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2016 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Product and Customer Service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am involved in the MARS program and have been using an EMCOMM II antenna for work in MARS frequencies. Although it works well for most communications our evening 8:00 traffic net operates on a frequency that is below the 80M Ham band and the antenna is just not efficient enough for good reliable communications on our evening net.

I have previously purchased three LNR antennas (20, 40 and 80M) from LNR and saw Larry at the Dayton Hamvention and discussed if you could make a “special” version of their 80M antenna for use on the frequency of our evening state traffic net. Larry was kind enough to create an antenna and ship it out in a short period of time.

I just got the antenna on the air and got a good solid “good readable” contact from a station on our net from Illinois (I am in Ohio) with the comment “it was great to be able to copy you directly” and not have to ask for a relay when checking into the net!

I really appreciate LNR’s GREAT customer service and products, and their willingness to take time out of their busy schedule to help out with “special” antenna requests and support when requested. Larry is never too busy to promptly answer customers questions (even on the weekends). I highly recommend their great performing antennas as a good value for the price.

Glenn
KD8TSR

KG4LLQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2016 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own three EndFedz antennas from LnR Precision. I have a "Trail Friendly" unit, an "Extreme Trail Friendly" unit & a "20 meter Mono-bander".
They all work as advertised whether in a home QTH location or a portable location. I presently use my 20 meter Mono-bander at my home QTH as my only 20 meter antenna. I have never missed a contact with this antenna. If I can hear it; I can work it. And, I operate mostly QRP (10 watts down to 250 mW); all CW. My 20 meter Mono-bander is up only 25 feet at it's highest point but it does the job.
One cautionary note. Keep your coax feed line away from large metal objects. This antenna works by utilizing the "common mode current" affect rather than a counterpoise. Whether amateurs appreciate it or not: the coax feedline in any antenna set-up; dipole, vertical OCF dipole, etc. is part of the radiating element. With that said, the EndFedz antennas from LnR Precision are efficient radiators & I heartily recommend them all.

N2PH Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2016 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Enjoying the LNR Antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two LNR end fed antennas, one is the EF-20 which covers 20 meters and the other is the EF-Quad which I use on 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters. I have owned these antennas for over a year. Both antennas slope from about 30 feet to about 15 feet off the ground. I run no more than 50 watts and have gotten excellent results with these two antennas and would highly recommend them. They are easy to put up, easy to tune and not highly visible.

In addition, I live at the New Jersey shore where we have some tough weather conditions-high winds, salt air and these antennas have held well in those conditions.

K1CGZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2015 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Eating crow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I previously wrote a less than favorable review of the EF20H. I received quite a few responses to my posting that all, politely, explained to me that I had not given the antenna, nor LNR, a fair trial. They were right; I was in error. I requested eHam to delete my previous reviews, which they did.

My initial problem was attempting to cut the wire to the correct length without getting it at least a quarter wave length above the ground. Get it up in the air prior to trimming!

My second problem was not finding the contact information for LNR on their website. It is there under "about us."

Larry, of LNR, wrote me a nice email and helped considerably with the resolution of my problem. He even replaced the wire I had cut too short. This is exemplary service.

My antenna now has a SWR of less than 1.5:1 over the entire band. Received signals are about 3 S units above my indoor stealth dipole. The EF20H is outdoors and quite stealthy.

I've even been convinced it is a "dipole" contrary to my previous interpretation of the word.

I've only had one QSO with it so far. It's only been up for about an hour. However I am now quite impressed with the antenna, LNR, and the eHam community. T U all.

AI5RB Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2015 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Works fine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, it is not a dipole, but an EFHW that is easy to carry and use. Some adjustment is required, but not difficult. It cannot compete with "bigger" antennas, but I find it very nice to pack when camping.

Contact info on the website:

Email: support@lnrprecision.com

Voicemail: 336-672-1818 (Operating Hours Monday-Thursday 8:30a-3p ET

WE1X Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2015 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Compromise Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used these for portable and they work quite well for what they are ... modest antennas for portable or home stealth applications where larger, more obvious antennas won't do. Never had a problem with SWR.

For the previous reviewer who could not find LNR's contact information on their website: email and voice mail are listed under About Us.

VE3FLT Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2015 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered my EF-10/20/40MKII few months ago and tried it out for first time over just past weekend. Was very effective with my KX3 on 15 mtrs. Look forward to testing it more in weeks ahead and love its versatility and ease of set up.

WB8VLC Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2015 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Update review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok I promised if I was wrong I would redo my earlier poor review and eat my words.

Some assortment of stupid errors but mostly using the efw 40/20/10 for the wrong use was my earlier problem.

I was trying 5 to 10 watts local, 300 to 500 mile, ssb when I found that 3000 to 10000 mile qrp ssb on both 40 and 20 were better.

Testing last nite running 5-10 watts on 40 ssb neted about 20 dx contacts from South cent America to numerous JA'S, SIBERIA, New Zealand and Hawaii.

Requesting honest reports responses were 53 to 59 from around 10 dx stations on 40 meter qrp ssb.

I had good results on 20 qrp ssb at 10 watts also with the honest report request generating 56 to 59 from South, Central Amer, South Pacific and Japan.