Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | LNR Precision End-Fed Half-Wave Wire Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for LNR Precision End-Fed Half-Wave Wire Antennas
LNR Precision End-Fed Half-Wave Wire Antennas Reviews: 282 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $52 to $125 Depending on Band
Description: End-fed, half-wave wire antennas..
More info: http://www.LnRprecision.com

You can write your own review of the LNR Precision End-Fed Half-Wave Wire Antennas.

K1CGZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2015 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Eating crow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I previously wrote a less than favorable review of the EF20H. I received quite a few responses to my posting that all, politely, explained to me that I had not given the antenna, nor LNR, a fair trial. They were right; I was in error. I requested eHam to delete my previous reviews, which they did.

My initial problem was attempting to cut the wire to the correct length without getting it at least a quarter wave length above the ground. Get it up in the air prior to trimming!

My second problem was not finding the contact information for LNR on their website. It is there under "about us."

Larry, of LNR, wrote me a nice email and helped considerably with the resolution of my problem. He even replaced the wire I had cut too short. This is exemplary service.

My antenna now has a SWR of less than 1.5:1 over the entire band. Received signals are about 3 S units above my indoor stealth dipole. The EF20H is outdoors and quite stealthy.

I've even been convinced it is a "dipole" contrary to my previous interpretation of the word.

I've only had one QSO with it so far. It's only been up for about an hour. However I am now quite impressed with the antenna, LNR, and the eHam community. T U all.

AI5RB Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2015 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Works fine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, it is not a dipole, but an EFHW that is easy to carry and use. Some adjustment is required, but not difficult. It cannot compete with "bigger" antennas, but I find it very nice to pack when camping.

Contact info on the website:

Email: support@lnrprecision.com

Voicemail: 336-672-1818 (Operating Hours Monday-Thursday 8:30a-3p ET

WE1X Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2015 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Compromise Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used these for portable and they work quite well for what they are ... modest antennas for portable or home stealth applications where larger, more obvious antennas won't do. Never had a problem with SWR.

For the previous reviewer who could not find LNR's contact information on their website: email and voice mail are listed under About Us.

VE3FLT Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2015 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered my EF-10/20/40MKII few months ago and tried it out for first time over just past weekend. Was very effective with my KX3 on 15 mtrs. Look forward to testing it more in weeks ahead and love its versatility and ease of set up.

WB8VLC Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2015 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Update review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok I promised if I was wrong I would redo my earlier poor review and eat my words.

Some assortment of stupid errors but mostly using the efw 40/20/10 for the wrong use was my earlier problem.

I was trying 5 to 10 watts local, 300 to 500 mile, ssb when I found that 3000 to 10000 mile qrp ssb on both 40 and 20 were better.

Testing last nite running 5-10 watts on 40 ssb neted about 20 dx contacts from South cent America to numerous JA'S, SIBERIA, New Zealand and Hawaii.

Requesting honest reports responses were 53 to 59 from around 10 dx stations on 40 meter qrp ssb.

I had good results on 20 qrp ssb at 10 watts also with the honest report request generating 56 to 59 from South, Central Amer, South Pacific and Japan.

N4VBV Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2015 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Oustanding.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great portable antenna. Last time using was yesterday while helping provide comm support for an enduro race in the South Carolina woods. Had tried my low dipole on 40m first, but took a bit to find two suitable supports from where I was working.

Then tried my Trail Friendly 10-20-40. Just tied one end to my little portable table at about 2 feet high and tossed the far end over a branch about 10 feet up. Much more convenient to be able to scoot to another location if necessary. Simply pull the slip knots and roll one piece of wire vs rolling two pieces plus a feedline. Used quick release slip knots on each end in case I had to run to another spot or road crossing in a hurry (and did have to).

Checked into the SOUTHCARS net on 7.251 and got great reports from net control a couple of states away. Most stations were also coming in loud and clear. Was great to be in the woods with low noise on receive. Also a warm sunny day, great time to play some radio while waiting for the race action to start. Was pretty happy to get such nice reports on only 5 watts. Then I checked the radio and saw that I'd actually set the FT-817 at 2-1/2 watts using the external 12V battery. Even better.

Next went up to 10m and copied a bunch of 10m beacons, including Canada and Mexico. Then the QSB started really bad and no more beacons. Saw the Spaceweather.com reports on the geo storm later yesterday, so that explains the QSB. After that got busy with the race support, but was a blast to play portable radio on such a great day outside.

Overall a great portable antenna. Easy/quick set up/tear down and great reports/receive. The Trail Friendly 10-20-40's wire is so small and light you don't need a very strong support. And the folks at LNR are great to talk with if you have questions. Have no doubt I could easily exchange the antenna if I had a problem with it or it didn't seem to be performing correctly. Wouldn't be right to not give them a chance to fix a problem if I'd found one. No complaints at all from my experience.

Would definitely buy this little antenna again. As great as it worked, the Trail Friendly 10-20-40 version is unbelievably small. The whole thing and some support rope (parachute cord) easily fits in a zip lock sandwich bag. The antenna itself could fit in a zip lock snack bag. Easy to unroll/repack and they even show you how to quickly roll it up without causing tangles/kinks when deploying. Much faster than my dipoles to set up/tear down, and the performance (yes, subjective) seems to be as good based on reports and receive. Ease of use just makes it that much better.

No, it's not a dipole at 60 feet, but it's 3 bands, depolys/repacks very quick, takes very little space, and has given outstanding results on the air. And you are on the air very quick with great results.

KC9IWE Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2014 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Great, portable antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
An EF-20 has been in my pack four years; the EFT-10/20/40 Trail Friendly since June 2014.

The '20 has been a very reliable high performer for a Yaesu FT 817 and now my Elecraft KX3. Often I'll hang it as a sloper from a Jackite pole, sometimes suspended from a line over a branch. It always has produced results.

I bought the EFT-10/20/40 Trail Friendly for a recent trip to the US Virgin Islands (go there, have a rum punch, laze on the beach, forget everything!) but it would not tune despite the persistent efforts of the KX3's autotuner. Ended up using the '20 making great 5W contacts in the US, Europe and Russia.

The LNR Precision guys quickly responded, once I got home, and very quickly traded out antennas for a one without a defect. The replacement is working out as well as the older '20 and, even though the '20 fits easily in the pack, is quite a bit smaller.

Great antennas; great customer service.

W6ZKH Rating: 2/5 Sep 15, 2014 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Not much luck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the 20 meter version for several years, and as yet havent had much luck with it, no matter what the power out of the xcvr. It seems to hear okay, but SWR is >2:1. But I keep giving it a try when portable. I prefer my Buddipole more though.

IZ0JOJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2014 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Never wrote a review but..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Foreword 1) I never spent time to write a review
Foreword 2) I tried several antennas: alex loop, no counterpoise, Buddipole, MP1 but....

The LNR precision End Fed antenna literally R - O - C - K - S !!!!

I don't want to spend further words.
If you will have this antenna, Just remember this rule :

On the receiver:
- Smeter 7 to 9+10 : you can switch your power to 2.5 watts and - have 57 or 59 report back...

- Smeter 3 - 7: you should use all your QRP power (5 watts) and have your usual 57 59 report back

- Smeter 1- 5: you can try, but depends on QSB , QRM ... you can have good chance always more than 40% to get a report back.

Nice, superb, excellent antenna!

VE3JSJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2014 19:21 Send this review to a friend
"Trail Friendly" Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used the LNR Trail Friendly antenna while on a three week camping trip in Eastern Canada. Fed with 20ft RG174 and suspended from an 18ft telesopic pole lashed to the side of the trailer, terminating on a convenient tree limb about 6ft off the ground - a "sloper".

SWR less than 1.6:1 on the entire 40m band, never failed to get PACTOR connections with 10 watts from my KX3. SWR less than 1.5:1 over the 20m band.

The only 'con' is a minor one - don't drag the trap over the grass, it will snag !!